Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I ordered on Monday (I think, maybe Tuesday) and received the skins today.

Fast shipping. Check.

The skins come nicely packaged, in a sturdy envelop and minimal product packaging. 2 sets of skins, an application card, which is really all you need. You make your own solution (which I do anyway) with 1 drop baby shampoo and water.

This stuff is awesome. It's the same material as the other products but has little to no orange peel effect. I tested durability and it does recover from little marks like the other stuff, almost self healing.

Anyway, installation was easy (I've probably installed 30 of these things for friends, family, co workers and my own devices) I love doing them. This stuff is very well cut and fits perfectly. Precision cuts. Check.

Here are some pics, mind you I pretty much JUST finished so this is not even close to the final look. Once these skins dry they tend to look better.

Overall I am thrilled with this product and the company.

4753518965_42e0fa5466.jpg

4754130888_a8fa5d7114.jpg

4754130272_77606c66f1.jpg

4753490303_6ddc251c31.jpg

4754129654_5461a39d96.jpg

4754139652_618be01fed.jpg

4753500225_9a6c31a079.jpg

Update: After drying and being out the sunlight there is an EVER so slight orange peel effect but it's minimal. I was in a darker house last night and didn't even notice it a bit, only in direct sunlight did I see it a little.

Matte Full Body Coverage

At the time of these photos I had just installed the skin, so you may see some lighter areas, that's will eventually evaporate and dry clear like the rest of the back.

Decided to try the matte full body that Phantom Skinz sent me. I have to say, I freaking love it. The matte can't be done justice in pics, you have to feel and see it in person to understand how awesome it looks and feels. Not to mention it totally removes the finger prints.

I was hesitant to try matte because of how amazing the Iphone 4 design is and how slick it looks, but seriously with the matte back it maintains it's amazing looks and manages to look even a bit more classy? Something about it, but VERY nice and less tacky feeling due to the smoother finish. Also it helps when the phone is in your pocket telling which side is which. The pics make the skin look a little "rougher" than it actually is, just the way the camera catches the texture I guess.

This is the matte back and sides:

4784078597_1600cda41e_z.jpg

4784078079_62685054be_z.jpg

4784711808_0bb834ab19_z.jpg

4784738950_f18676670c_z.jpg

4784104649_96b729b660_z.jpg

4784739308_03bb4ae464_z.jpg

4784739510_5e0ebfbc5a_z.jpg

Good stuff. :)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
With the coupon Summer2010 (I think, google it) I paid 17 and change for 2 sets shipped.

I am a big fan of skins, and have tried them all. I'd rank this as one of the best due to pure clarity, perfect cuts and fast shipping.

They had my order shipped like 10 minutes after I ordered it.

supershick

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
thumbs up for one damn good review. picture quality makes all the difference. makes me want to get the phantom skin now. how much was it?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks guys.

It was 17 and change shipped for 2 full sets. You can also buy just the front or the back, but neither comes with the sides. They also have matte black available.

Coupon code is summersale2010

That's what I used anyway.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
So they come with 2 sets standard? I don't see that on the site.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
So they come with 2 sets standard? I don't see that on the site.

From their FAQ:

Q: How do i take advantage of the introductory two for one offer?
A: Simple, all you need to do is order one of the products that you would like to buy, and your order will be shipped with two of the kits that you ordered. The reason we include two kits in each package is because some people have a difficult time with their first installation and may need to try again with a new skin. However, if you get it right the first time then just keep the extra kit for later or give it to a friend to try. (Note: the two for one offer applies to phone skins only)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
did you get the matte one or the clear one?

they have a matte full body!!!

I got clear, I had matte with my 3GS (Wrapsol) and just wanted something different. Matte is excellent for keeping the phone finger print free, I just really like the shine of this new design. I may try matte down the road.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
That looks like a nice protector. I took a look at their site and their cases are nice looking too. I like this one and its in stock....

http://phantomskinz.com/appleiphone4chromatics.aspx

ha Didn't even know what else they sold, I just ordered the skin one day because they said it was clear and had some recommendations and didn't even bother to check the rest of the stuff out. Looks nice.

I wonder if their cases are designed to fit over their skins?

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Looks great. I believe all phantom skinz for phones come with 2 sets. I had one on my EVO and it was very nice. The cut was pretty much perfect. Very minimal orange peel effect you couldn't see it unless you had it at the right angle under light. The one thing I don't like about it is although it's probably the least tacky of all wet application skin protectors I've tried, I still prefer a hard protector for the front. It's not as smooth/slick to me. ie; if you run your fingernail across it, you can feel the rubbery texture.

Ferris23, does the side strips cross over the break in the antenna? Any effect on reception issues?

supershick

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks Ferris, bought a Matte full body. I'll post pics when I install for everyone to see =)

Never heard of phantomskinz but your pics sold me.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I have matte. I am going to take it off for clear. Matte takes away from the phones impressive design. But I agree PhantomSkinz is one of the best, if not the best in terms of clearness and precise cuts.

supershick

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I have matte. I am going to take it off for clear. Matte takes away from the phones impressive design. But I agree PhantomSkinz is one of the best, if not the best in terms of clearness and precise cuts.

does the clear one have excessive glare? that's what i hate the most. and all the oil and residue from the fingers on the screen is annoying too =/

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
oh wow. these look great. i've never used any film thing on my old iphone but i want to start using them on my iphone 4 so i'm not really familiar on what is the 'best' brand.

i've been reading about wrapsols, sgp (?), and zagg and now this. do you have any experience with the other brands? if you do, how does this compare? i read a lot about the 'orange peel' thing and seeing how it looks really turns me off so i guess the zagg is out of the question.

anyway great photos and review! really appreciate you sharing.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Looks great. I believe all phantom skinz for phones come with 2 sets. I had one on my EVO and it was very nice. The cut was pretty much perfect. Very minimal orange peel effect you couldn't see it unless you had it at the right angle under light. The one thing I don't like about it is although it's probably the least tacky of all wet application skin protectors I've tried, I still prefer a hard protector for the front. It's not as smooth/slick to me. ie; if you run your fingernail across it, you can feel the rubbery texture.

Ferris23, does the side strips cross over the break in the antenna? Any effect on reception issues?

Forgot to mention that it does seem to create a buffer from my hands to reduce whatever it is my hands do to the signal. Not drastically better like a bumper, but it helps a little. The skin is conductive though so touch remains the same.

The matte seems to help more.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
oh wow. these look great. i've never used any film thing on my old iphone but i want to start using them on my iphone 4 so i'm not really familiar on what is the 'best' brand.

i've been reading about wrapsols, sgp (?), and zagg and now this. do you have any experience with the other brands? if you do, how does this compare? i read a lot about the 'orange peel' thing and seeing how it looks really turns me off so i guess the zagg is out of the question.

anyway great photos and review! really appreciate you sharing.

Glad I could help.

I've used Best Skins Ever, Wrapsol, Zagg and Body Guardz. Because if the improved optical clarity this is probably my favorite. Body Guardz and BSE tie for second. :)

Wrapsol was great for 3GS as a matte solution but was minimal on protection. I still liked it a lot though. They have had a shaky start for iPhone 4.

These screens do not cause excessive glare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.