Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
oday I saw another 2016 15" rMBP with a fully charged battery 100% just showing 3:05 Hours of battery.
Please stop using the estimated run time as an accurate measure of remaining battery life. OS X only uses a time slice of recent prior use to guesstimate the remaining battery life. In other words, if you were encoding a video on Final Cut Pro for 20 minutes on battery power, then checked the remaining time, it would report something similarly low. Quit FCP and it will still only show a low amount of remaining time. Wait 20-30 minutes with the machine idle with only Mail or Safari or Pages open, then it'll go back up in estimated remaining time. However, if you have a background process doing something you don't know about (or have forgotten about), the estimate will go down.

It will fluctuate up and down depending on recent usage.

The only way to know for sure is to open the machine, look at a wall clock or your watch, then use the machine like you normally do until it stops running. Then look at the time again.

If you think you're going to get 9-10 hrs playing 3D games, you're sorely mistaken. But you will get much closer with text-based websites with low screen brightness, no backlighting of the keyboard, a strong wifi signal, and no background processes like malware checkers, big Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups, Handbrake encodes and etc. going wild.

If you actually use the computer, it will be less. Want 10 hrs? Let it sit idle and you'll get 10 hrs.

All that said, my new 15" gets excellent battery life. I charge it at night, take it work, use it during the day, take it home, use it at night, and put back on the charger at bed time.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
All that said, my new 15" gets excellent battery life. I charge it at night, take it work, use it during the day, take it home, use it at night, and put back on the charger at bed time.

And yours is a 15" Touch Bar rMBP ?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I go between 3.5 hours to 10 hours estimated just by changing brightness from 80% to 30% etc. While that screen is lovely, it chews through the battery.

You can, and many do get great hours out of the battery, you just need to adjust your settings and use it in the efficiency sweet spot, if all those people claiming they get constant ten hours, gave you thier laptop with you used your settings and workflow, Thier laptops would give the same time as yours.
[doublepost=1481447224][/doublepost]
Please stop using the estimated run time as an accurate measure of remaining battery life. OS X only uses a time slice of recent prior use to guesstimate the remaining battery life. In other words, if you were encoding a video on Final Cut Pro for 20 minutes on battery power, then checked the remaining time, it would report something similarly low. Quit FCP and it will still only show a low amount of remaining time. Wait 20-30 minutes with the machine idle with only Mail or Safari or Pages open, then it'll go back up in estimated remaining time. However, if you have a background process doing something you don't know about (or have forgotten about), the estimate will go down.

It will fluctuate up and down depending on recent usage.

The only way to know for sure is to open the machine, look at a wall clock or your watch, then use the machine like you normally do until it stops running. Then look at the time again.

If you think you're going to get 9-10 hrs playing 3D games, you're sorely mistaken. But you will get much closer with text-based websites with low screen brightness, no backlighting of the keyboard, a strong wifi signal, and no background processes like malware checkers, big Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups, Handbrake encodes and etc. going wild.

If you actually use the computer, it will be less. Want 10 hrs? Let it sit idle and you'll get 10 hrs.

He he does this mean many if the users getting great times are doing very little on these pro machines ..

Reactions: jackoatmon

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Factors such as background processes, display brightness, key brightness and general power saving settings will all play a big part. On around 50% brightness with minimal keyboard brightness and average use (browsing, music, movie and word processing) I am easily hitting 10 hours. If I notch up the screen brightness to around 70%, I get around 7-8 hours of battery life.
You are VERY lucky. For me, if I do just web browsing (no video or audio), I get about 3-5 hours....MAX.

IchBinEsNur

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
Changing Mail settings "Checking for new emails" from "automatic" to "every 15 min" did the job for me. I could see the difference using Activity Monitor.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
How is it that the same machine 2016 15" rMBP in the Apple Store which with 100% charging was saying 4 hours of estimated battery is the next day showing 10:30 hours of estimated battery the same machine with the same charging status ? Which is 100% !

It's an estimate of what it is doing at that time and in the few minutes prior to that. Are you trolling? Or just asking dumb questions? You have been around here for a while so I'm sure that you know how battery life is estimated and reported.

jk76

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2016
9-10 hours can really be a bit of a stretch (basically you have to have display brightness at minimum, using integrated graphics and CPU mostly idle), but 8-9 hours is totally reachable on realistic light use, as long as discrete GPU is not used.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
It's an estimate of what it is doing at that time and in the few minutes prior to that. Are you trolling? Or just asking dumb questions? You have been around here for a while so I'm sure that you know how battery life is estimated and reported.

I have never owned a MacBook so don't know about MacBook Batterty performance and what works best for it.
[doublepost=1481476571][/doublepost]
9-10 hours can really be a bit of a stretch (basically you have to have display brightness at minimum, using integrated graphics and CPU mostly idle), but 8-9 hours is totally reachable on realistic light use, as long as discrete GPU is not used.

There is no way to control that the new 2016 15" rMBP only uses iGPU and not the discrete you cannot manually control it GFXCARDSTATUS does not work on this Machine so I don't know what are you talking about ? And How ?

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
This, this, this. Quit staring at your BATTERY REMAINING and USE your computer. Live with it. I think you'll find that the battery life is actually quite good.

Staring at the Battery % left numbers is no way to live!

jk76

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2016
There is no way to control that the new 2016 15" rMBP only uses iGPU and not the discrete you cannot manually control it GFXCARDSTATUS does not work on this Machine so I don't know what are you talking about ? And How ?

At least you can observe which applications choose to use "high performance" graphics, that's discrete GPU, on Activity Monitor. When idle, dGPU increases power draw by about 50%. Depending on your habits, it may well be avoidable when you are depending on battery for power.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I only browse internet and check email. No games or heavy processing. I am getting 3-5 hours.

I have turned the brightness down, tried Safari instead of Firefox and many other suggestions mentioned here. Helps a little.

I think it is ridiculous for Apple to say they increased the battery life to 10 hours. Who the hell wants to turn their brightness way down, surf text only, etc. I will just keep it plugged in until there is a fix.

I also still don't understand how some are getting 10h and others 3h. Even with turning the brightness down, etc, there should not be such a huge discrepancy.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pretty sure the system battery guesstimates are way off on these machines. Obviously need a software patch. Otherwise how could it go from guessing 9 hours to 4 hours just from switching to another already-running app.

There are so many issues with these machines which will disappear in the next patch.

And some won't. We just have to hope the inportant ones get fixed.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Pretty sure the system battery guesstimates are way off on these machines. Obviously need a software patch. Otherwise how could it go from guessing 9 hours to 4 hours just from switching to another already-running app.

There are so many issues with these machines which will disappear in the next patch.

And some won't. We just have to hope the inportant ones get fixed.

I certainly hope so..

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I don't pay much attention to the battery life estimate. I am getting between 6.5 and 9 hours daily since mine arrived on the 30th of November. I have VMware fusion set to not use the Pro 460 which helps when I'm running my windows 10 VM. Overall battery life is better than the non retina 2012 Pro it replaced.

Edit: wrong year of MacBook

Terrance94

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
15" base

Attachments

• IMG_9906.PNG
    IMG_9906.PNG
    120.2 KB · Views: 78

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012

I wonder if this would indeed give 10:25 hours as shown in the image or would it dramatically drop within hour of just Internet Browsing ? Or Maybe Video Playback ?

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You guys do know that ads on websites also play a part in battery life right? I could sit on one website that has no ads and get 10 hours of battery life. Or I could go to a website that has ads and get my battery life cut in half. Looking at the Stardew Valley Wiki one day made my battery life only 2 hours on my 2013 rMBP. JUST ONE SITE!!!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You guys do know that ads on websites also play a part in battery life right? I could sit on one website that has no ads and get 10 hours of battery life. Or I could go to a website that has ads and get my battery life cut in half. Looking at the Stardew Valley Wiki one day made my battery life only 2 hours on my 2013 rMBP. JUST ONE SITE!!!
This is why you won't find Flash installed on my machine. I also run an ad blocker of some kind (presently using Ghostery, but I'm not married to any one in particular).

If I absolutely need Flash for a particular site, I'll launch Chrome. Otherwise, my machine is Flash-free.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
This is why you won't find Flash installed on my machine. I also run an ad blocker of some kind (presently using Ghostery, but I'm not married to any one in particular).

If I absolutely need Flash for a particular site, I'll launch Chrome. Otherwise, my machine is Flash-free.

So what browser do you use ? if you are not using chrome ?

Agmnu

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
I guess the problem is that previous macbooks have always had good battery life. So, why do things change for the worse now? I am hoping this issue is resolved in the next patch.

oktane

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
You might have a bad machine like mine. I get < 3 hrs with light usage (and that's actual time not just based on the software estimate). Restarting seems to help lower the power consumption to < 10W, but then it goes back up to 28W at idle. There is probably some software bug that is eating the battery.

Egally08

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
Queen City
I guess the problem is that previous macbooks have always had good battery life. So, why do things change for the worse now? I am hoping this issue is resolved in the next patch.

Exactly right. I have a late 2013 15" I've been using the last 18 months. I always have chrome and firefox open (Different desktops). Firefox has 20-30 tabs at all times, chrome is closer to 10-12. All of my chrome tabs are google spread sheets. Photoshop and premier open in the background 50% of the time. At least 2-3 remote desktop connections, skype, thunderbird and filezilla always open. Brightness usually 70%, backlight on.

Battery is around 275 cycles, although it's usually plugged in when I go to my office. When it's off power, I typically get a solid 5 hours. My 2016 max 15" shows up tomorrow. I'll be putting it through the exact same paces as I always do. I'm a little worried from what I've heard, that by my usage I'll see <3hrs. Will reply to this and give an update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.