9600M causing crashes on Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baryon, Mar 27, 2010.

1. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Hello,

I'm on a 15 inch first generation Unibody MacBook Pro (Late 2008), and since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, it keeps crashing (once or twice a week) if I use the 9600M graphics card. It doesn't crash with the 9400M. By crashes I mean either complete infinite freezes or just random reboots, etc...

On Leopard, I never had ANY crashes, though it is true that I used the 9600M way less back then.

I don't know what you think, but it may seem like a hardware failure.

I am baffled about the fact that Apple only offers a ridiculous ONE YEAR of warranty. Even the worst and cheapest companies out there offer 2-3 years on anything from a mouse to a computer, and for free of course (warranty is supposed to be free, unlike Apple Care...).

I have read that in the European Union, there is a law saying that a company MUST provide 2 years of warranty at least. So I would like to ask you whether you know anything about this, and how I could get my motherboard replaced for free, if this is really a hardware problem. I asked a Genius and he said that Apple has to acknowledge the issue to get a free repair. However, I'm not sure whether the EU laws require acknowledgement. There is a hardware failure, which I have obviously not caused (never dropped the machine and I am super careful), and there is no way I could change something on the motherboard without it being noticeable, so I can prove that this is not my fault.

I would never have thought that such an expensive computer can have such a serious hardware flaw, I have bought cheap computers before and even those have never failed... I just can't imagine how a printed circuit board can just fail, it has no moving parts, what the hell can go wrong?

Paying the extra for the high-end MBP was a waste of money! Could've spent it on 2 PCs, of which at least one would still be working, if not both! Anyway, that's my problem and my stupid decision.

2. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon

3. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Are you still under warranty? Have you tried calling Apple or taking it into an Apple store?

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I've not experienced similar problems. My guess is the problem is unusual. As others have suggested, go to the apple store and see what they have to say. In the very least, try running hardware test off the DVD that came with your computer.

5. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon

I ran the Extended Apple Hardware test and it didn't come up with any problems whatsoever. I contacted Apple but since I'm not under warranty as I've said, there isn't much they can do. They could run tests on my machine but I would have to be without my computer for that time, and I can't live without my computer for days, especially that I'm constantly working on very important stuff.

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Without knowing more, my best guess is that the memory on the 9600M is bad.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Reinstalling the OS will tell you for sure. If it was a hardware issue that serious, Apple Hardware Test should pick something up.

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

OP already tried running hardware test. It does beg the question about which videocard would be default during a clean OS install.

9. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Maybe it has something to do with overheating. The 9600GT does make everything warmer in the machine. I read that Snow is also less aggressive with fan speeds also. Have you tried monitoring your temps during heavy work loads?