Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I'm VERY pleased with the press conference and how Steve handled himself with this issue. He didn't have to give away free cases and praise us users, but he did. Apple's response to this issue and acknowledging the proximity issue and responding this fast makes me an even happier Apple customer.

Who else is with me? :D

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I'm VERY pleased with the press conference and how Steve handled himself with this issue. He didn't have to give away free cases and praise us users, but he did. Apple's response to this issue and acknowledging the proximity issue and responding this fast makes me an even happier Apple customer.

You're joking right? He basically said here's a bumper, now shut up.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm fine with Apple's response. I do think it's a vocal minority and the press jumping on the bandwagon. Sorry you're all having issues. I think you're in the minority with that and from the sound of it Apple will be taking care of you. If not, just bring it back for a refund and get an Evo.

Problem solved. Why is that so hard to get across?

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
i never had the antenna issue in the first place like most people, so i was never unhappy

Same here. I've loved my phone since the minute I got it in my hand. I've had a few dropped calls here & there, but they were in places were I never get great service.

I'm not pleased with how Apple dealt with the situation for people who do have the problem, though. I'd be pissed as **** if I were them.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA

+1 but I'm pretty much done with these forums... I don't even consider myself an Apple fanboy, but there's so much negativity around here I can't take it anymore.

I love my phone. Can I force it to drop a call by intentionally holding it a certain way, without a case, in an already low signal area? Yes. What did I choose to do about that? I called up AT&T, the one responsible for the low signal area, and asked a manager for a free Microcell. He was happy to give me one. Between that and the bumper (which I had planned to purchase long ago anyway), I'm more than satisfied.

In fact, the only reason I've been following this circus and worrying over it is because I keep coming back to these forums. Looking over the threads, you would think the world is ending. What we have is a VOCAL MINORITY of the world population who have become the majority on this forum. Why? Because they're either convincing happy users to be unhappy, or because happy users are out enjoying their phone.

So other than checking in here for white iPhone 4 rumors for my wife, I'm done here. It's too much of a downer. For those of you who are genuinely unhappy because you have problems using the phone under REAL WORLD conditions, I'm sorry, this isn't directed at you. I'd politely suggest that you exchange/return your phone and deal with AppleCare directly (over the phone preferably). They want to make you happy and if you're polite, they won't stop trying until you are satisfied.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I'm fine with Apple's response. I do think it's a vocal minority and the press jumping on the bandwagon. Sorry you're all having issues. I think you're in the minority with that and from the sound of it Apple will be taking care of you. If not, just bring it back for a refund and get an Evo.

My back glass is completely shattered, I'd love to return mine, but they won't take it. Tried.

:apple:

Loiterer

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

Umm, maybe because people have movies and apps and music that won't work on any other phone? If Apple wants to lock our old purchases to the iPhone, fine, but then don't release a phone later that doesn't make calls and then tell us to return it if we don't like it.

Chimpware

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I have criticized the iPhone 4 a lot on this forum as my experience has not been good as it relates to the antenna issue.

In my opinion Apple's response was reasonable given the cause of the issue and the impact a greater response would have had. I think their response is in line with the magnitude of the issue.

Does not mean I will necessarily keep my iPhone, as I was waiting to see if an actual fix was possible, but I feel they are being fair with their customers, and I am glad to see that.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Umm, maybe because people have movies and apps and music that won't work on any other phone? If Apple wants to lock our old purchases to the iPhone, fine, but then don't release a phone later that doesn't make calls and then tell us to return it if we don't like it.

Again, sorry it doesn't make calls for you. For a great many people, the phone works fine. That includes a ton of people on these forums and 3 friends I personally know. Myself, I'm holding out for the white iPhone.

In my opinion Apple's response was reasonable given the cause of the issue and the impact a greater response would have had. I think their response is in line with the magnitude of the issue.

This.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

I'm very happy with it. Proof is in the numbers. Not to mention FINALLY someone showed that all phones do this. They always have, since the beginning. I sold cell phones for four years and customers always came in thinking they had a problem with phone x but then we showed them every phone did it and they were happy.

People just love to hate apple and they only believe what they want to believe.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Same here. I've loved my phone since the minute I got it in my hand. I've had a few dropped calls here & there, but they were in places were I never get great service.

I'm not pleased with how Apple dealt with the situation for people who do have the problem, though. I'd be pissed as **** if I were them.

+1
After having the phone for the first 3 weeks, I honestly have way better call quality despite what bars read. I've been with Cingular/AT&T for years and that's just how the network is—spotty. I've had <5 dropped calls which is way better than with my 3GS.

But as far as the antenna issue, I don't think that it can be fixed other than by not touching it there. :confused: I mean, really… We're touching the antenna of the phone constantly. The signal will degrade.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
What Apple did wrong today was comparing iPhone 4 with three other phones and literally throwing them under the bus. I know it was just for comparison and this competition, but c'mon! That is their problem, not yours. How often do iPhone 4 owners also own specifically one of those other three models? The comparisons with the BB 9700, Samsung Omnia II, and HTC Droid Eris were pointless.

With that said, the conclusion was a good one. I get my money back! HEHE! And I still get to keep my beautiful black bumper on my beautiful black iPhone 4.

I never had a problem to begin with, so why not be happy with this result? I bought my bumper on Day 1 more about the grip and comfort of holding it, and not the antenna problem. I don't LOVE Apple like some of your delusional fanboys on here, but it was a noble gesture.

Thank you, Steve.

jayo123456

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
+1 but I'm pretty much done with these forums... I don't even consider myself an Apple fanboy, but there's so much negativity around here I can't take it anymore.

I love my phone. Can I force it to drop a call by intentionally holding it a certain way, without a case, in an already low signal area? Yes. What did I choose to do about that? I called up AT&T, the one responsible for the low signal area, and asked a manager for a free Microcell. He was happy to give me one. Between that and the bumper (which I had planned to purchase long ago anyway), I'm more than satisfied.

In fact, the only reason I've been following this circus and worrying over it is because I keep coming back to these forums. Looking over the threads, you would think the world is ending. What we have is a VOCAL MINORITY of the world population who have become the majority on this forum. Why? Because they're either convincing happy users to be unhappy, or because happy users are out enjoying their phone.

So other than checking in here for white iPhone 4 rumors for my wife, I'm done here. It's too much of a downer. For those of you who are genuinely unhappy because you have problems using the phone under REAL WORLD conditions, I'm sorry, this isn't directed at you. I'd politely suggest that you exchange/return your phone and deal with AppleCare directly (over the phone preferably). They want to make you happy and if you're polite, they won't stop trying until you are satisfied.

im with you 100%

me personally, I can't wait till the 30th, get me i4 in Canada, so I can stop checking these forums and tech sites. So sick and tired of people whinning and crying. It's so simple, if u don't like it, just return it and S.T.F.U.

It's like you buy a t-shirt, bring it home and find out it doesn't fit. You don't sit there and whine and cry about it. Just return it, getting something that suits you better.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I think that apple did exactly what they needed to do today to get the media off of their backs and show that they really do care about the products and satisfying the customers.

I think that the majority of people who are unhappy with the press conference wouldn't be satisfied even if Jobs said "we screwed up and the phone is horrible, sorry". Nothing would satisfy them at this point and they just want to vilify apple.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
What Apple did wrong today was comparing iPhone 4 with three other phones and literally throwing them under the bus. I know it was just for comparison and this competition, but c'mon! That is their problem, not yours. How often do iPhone 4 owners also own specifically one of those other three models? The comparisons with the BB 9700, Samsung Omnia II, and HTC Droid Eris were pointless.

With that said, the conclusion was a good one. I get my money back! HEHE! And I still get to keep my beautiful black bumper on my beautiful black iPhone 4.

I never had a problem to begin with, so why not be happy with this result? I bought my bumper on Day 1 more about the grip and comfort of holding it, and not the antenna problem. I don't LOVE Apple like some of your delusional fanboys on here, but it was a noble gesture.

Thank you, Steve.

Curious why he didn't throw it against the 3GS.... Egg all over their face.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

fishmoose said:
I love Apple to, only company that cares about its costumers imo.

You mean the wardrobe people? And here I thought the jeans + black turtleneck was a Jobs thing.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

SophiaLee said:

My back glass is completely shattered, I'd love to return mine, but they won't take it. Tried.

:apple:

Just order a replacement back online. Shouldn't cost more than $100 or so.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden

You mean the wardrobe people? And here I thought the jeans + black turtleneck was a Jobs thing.

Damn, typo there I'll fix it. Thanks for the tip. Getting somewhat late in Sweden and I've been up long.

foulmouthedleon

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Annapolis, MD

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

I am 110% behind you on this. I truly wonder if all of these people on here even have an iphone 4.It's getting out of control on here with the people crying about I WANT A NEW PHONE PLUS $100 for my pain and suffering. GTFO for real. You are a bunch of spoiled, greedy, pissants who think apple owes you the world and more :mad:. If your unhappy: PLEASE RETURN IT NOW. It's getting old that people whine I'M TAKING IT BACK and then two weeks later come on here and then say the same thing. :confused:

I understand that there are genuine problems (Yellow screen, yellow photos, proximity issues, NO SIM issues etc) that hamper you enjoying the phone. For those people, you have a right to expect those problems fixed which I promise will be rectified if you contact applecare, go to the apple store or wait for the new update. I was pissed due to having the NO SIM error and actually needing it, but now outside of the non issue death grip my phone is fine. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.