$999 New iMac in $499 Mini in Jan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, Dec 23, 2008.

?

Will their be a price drop?

1. Price Drops over $100.

45.5%
  2. Less than $50 price drop.

54.5%
  1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I think those prices would be a good estimate. I beleave Apple is turning more for the lower middle class with the $199 iPhone and the MacBook also saw a good drop. What do you think?:apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Right. And the INCREASE in price of the new MacBook led you to believe this... why?

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just to be a prick, the lowend Macbook saw a $100 price drop (from $1100 to $1000). It's the AluMB that saw the increase.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Perhaps that's because they're discontinuing the plastic MacBook and are clearing out old stock.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Exactly what I was thinking.

iMac for $999 I can see though, the only reason it jumped a bit in price was because they went from the base model having 17" screens to 20" ones.

Also, does anyone think we might see a iMac with the GeForce 9400M chip, like we did a while back with the 17" iMac with GMA950.

$499 Mini is a possibility, maybe with 2 models, one with X3100, the other with the Nvidia 9400M.

6. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Reality suggests the Mac Mini will be around $659 or $699 at the minimum, and the iMac will probably be $1199.

The Mac Mini can only be $499 if they keep the current specs and change the shell, that is a possibility for a entry level model.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Unless the specs are going to be wonderfully outlandish, I can't see them increasing the price... The current Minis are incredible rip offs... Seriously $600 for a 1.87Ghz C2D, no DVDrw, is this 2006??!

8. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I meant the plastic $999 I think the iMac will something like that.:apple:

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Where is the option on the poll for no price drops? I think they will stay the same.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, they do still sell the plastic 17" iMac...

I'm not joking. It's still sold. But there will be no price drops.

11. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:Why wouldnt they just place whats left in the clearence section with the old 15 inch pros and black macbooks?:apple:

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Would you rather they stick with the plastic? They had a lot left over, they'll make a larger profit more quickly if they keep it in the real store.

13. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals
    Theirs a difference between clearence and refurbs. I do like the plastic but Aluminum is way better.:apple:

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the current $999 MB a different configuration than any of the previous MBs? The $999 MB has a 2.1/120/8x DL SuperDrive.

I don't think there were any MBs with those specs, so it's not really closing out existing stock.

ft

15. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Yeah their are minor upgrades to it:confused:

16. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

I don't think they're clearing out old stocks.

http://apple.com/macbook/white
    http://apple.com/macbookpro/17-inch

Why would they still have the MacBook Pro 17" as the highest spec machine in the MacBook family...
    And ftaok is right the white MacBooks have SuperDrive and the 17" MacBook Pros have LED screens.
    They don't have the same specs from the last generations.

The old stocks are in the clearance page.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 17" MacBook Pro already had LED screens. They had LED for 1920x1200 and CFL for 1680x1050. The only offering now is 1920x1200, so they're using all their old parts for both the MacBook Pro and MacBook to, oh... Clear. It. Out.

18. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I agree with you (and your subsequent points)... almost completely. Plastic is yesterdays news, and no marketer likes old product, but when considering the economy, do you really think that they are building on current inventory alone? I don't know what post-unibody sales of the MB classic are like, but I'd think they would be running out soon. One thing marketing would like, is the bait-and-switch possibilities of being able to say "From $999" that having the classic line currently allows.

19. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Existing $599 Mac mini price dropped $100, just like how the $1099 MacBook was.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If there's a Mini price drop to $499 (for the base model), mainly because you now have to buy a Display Port to VGA (or DVI) connector ($30?), no remote ($20), no Firewire (*runs and hides*) and possibly no Ethernet ($30 adapter)...

22. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I only see price rises as the spec increases.

I think people will pay the extra if they can be persuaded it makes a difference.

Consumers looking for 'close-out prices' aren't going to go near Apple to start with.

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I think that would just increase costs... easier to buy loads of the new chip in bulk and keep the manufacturing process as simple as possible rather than deal with two suppliers, two different chips, etc. I think that's part of the reason even the MBPs use the 9400M - it was cheaper to stick that chipset into the Pro and add a discrete graphics card than it would be to use two different chips between the MB and the MBP.

But I've been wrong before. :)

I do think an iMac with the onboard graphics is a very real possibility... but the top models better still have discrete graphics.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Right... like Apple will do that. The iMac; I could imagine happening. But once again, let me reiterate. Apple is a high-end computer vendor. They make fashion computers with trendy looks and excellent quality. They will not cut prices of the Mac Mini (I think they should keep the current prices, but upgrade the components, to say, nVidia graphics and the new Intel CPUs).

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

What's the point of having the discrete graphics, unless they work together rather than separately, there isn't much point having them, it's purely a laptop feature to save power/battery life...

I would love to see a £600-£700 iMac with the Nvidia 9400M and then I can see them going with the 9600M GT for all other models tbh...