Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I just did the leg work and found out more about the monitor that we know as the 9C60.

Astra_ActiveWindow.png

Wow, in Windows it is absolutely disgusting without colour calibration on this LCD. I never knew Windows can look so bad.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Meh... I am so tempted to buy a Chi Mei one and attempt to swop it in myself.

Of course that is insane, more complicated that a hard drive upgrade and good odds of destroying the machine :mad:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Thats the screen Im unhappy with:) - terrible viewing angles:(
According to AUO website
View Angle (H/V)
140 / 120

See here: http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=notebook&func=info&product_id=19&items_id=2

... and indeed the no of colors is....
Number of Colors

(There was discussion about it somewhere here under banding problems).
AUO has updated their website and the link:

http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=notebook&func=info&product_id=19&items_id=2

Now shows the B154PW03 V0, whose production is just starting up.

From iW00t's picture the 9C60 is the B154PW01 V0 whose specs are available from Google's cache:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache..._id=19&items_id=2+B154PW01&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

Seems the W03 has a better 8ms refresh rate, increased color saturation from 45% to 90%, increased brightness from 300 to 350, is now using 2 CCFLs for backlighting instead of 1, and is now 40g heavier. Seems AUO has tried to improve things, but it's really too late. With production just beginning and old stock to get rid of, Apple will probably be able to introduce a new MBP design before these find their way into the assembly of the current version.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
quit complaining!

Whatever happened to "glad I don't have a dead pixel right in the middle of my screen?" I have that LCD and I think it looks pretty nice. Sometimes people expect way too much from things... sure you spent X amount of dollars on it, but just be happy that you were able to get the machine and use it. Some people would give their left leg for a MB or MBP.

If you aren't happy with it, return it or put it on ebay so it will make someone happy. :mad:

whosgotsoul

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
djinn:

Why accept something sub-par when paying top dollar for a notebook?

It's not like the technology doesn't exist...if the Macbook screens were cheap and the MBP were top notch, then people paying 2000+ wouldn't have a reason to complain! And, Macbook users could use the "well I guess I should have saved more and bought a MBP" line if they aren't happy.

Apple should have used the best screens available in their notebooks designed for professional use...bottom line!

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
For one thing I am very happy with my LCD. Maybe I have a new batch or something but I haven't experienced any of the problems that people have. And yes, I do have that model. I purchased my MBP last Saturday. I have seen bad LCDs. LCDs with the burn in the lower corners, dark bars on both left and right sides. And of course the bad viewing angles. But with this machine, no complaints.

Maybe with Apple using cheaper screens allowed them to drive the price down? We all know that big corps like to save money but make a lot of it. Would that be the case here??

whosgotsoul

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
For one thing I am very happy with my LCD. Maybe I have a new batch or something but I haven't experienced any of the problems that people have. And yes, I do have that model. I purchased my MBP last Saturday. I have seen bad LCDs. LCDs with the burn in the lower corners, dark bars on both left and right sides. And of course the bad viewing angles. But with this machine, no complaints.

Maybe with Apple using cheaper screens allowed them to drive the price down? We all know that big corps like to save money but make a lot of it. Would that be the case here??

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your screen. I hope that's the case with all new MBP orders.

I would like to think that Apple wasn't trying to use cheaper screens to make more money...the price is certainly not cheap when compared to similar PC notebooks (that have better screens!)

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Is there a certain time that this model of screen came out that is giving people the problems? Because I read that apple did hold production cause of complaints about the screens.

whosgotsoul

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
In another thread people were posting week numbers that their MBPs were built. When was yours built?

I read an article that Mac stopped production in mid-December to deal with the problem.

ForeverUnknown

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
How do I find out when mine was built?

Look at your MacBook's serial #. It'll show something like W8650... In this case 6 is the year and 50 is the week.

This isn't my serial # but mine is a week 50 build, and I don't see much if any more grain than any other LCD I've used. I'm not sure what display I have but I'll check after I finish calibrating my battery.

whosgotsoul

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
Maybe you both recieved yours after Apple halted production and sorted-out the problem?

I hope they've sorted it out...I want to buy one asap! lol

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I guess the next question is: ForeverUnknown, which display did you get, matte or glossy?

whosgotsoul

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
Looking at the signature...Matte.

djinn: how would you compare the MBP screen to your Dell laptop's screen?

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
DOH!.. i could've read that.. sorry..

My Dell screen is pretty clear.. its a Samsung which is supposely their low grade, not the LG. The screen isn't as crystal clear but I believe that Dell use a higher grade screen quality. Plus the resolution is a lot smaller and finer which will help with the clarity.

The screen I have with my MBP compared to my Ti Powerbook G4, this one is way better.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I actually really like the glossy display because of the brightness and vivid colors that are brought out. People argue that matte is better for photo editing etc which could be true. I don't know enough about that area so I can't really put up a fight.

As far as reflection, I don't notice it. But again, that differs between people. My Dell has the glossy display and I hardly noticed the reflection.

I did go to the Apple store to compare the two displays... That was very hard. I don't want to say the glossy is better then the matte because is all personal choice. Which is better for photo editing, beats me, I don't care. The way I look at it, neither is perfect for photo editing cause you have to worry about color calibration. If you are that anal about getting the right color, go spend 200 buck and calibrate an external monitor.

whosgotsoul

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
I love the glossy display on the iMacs...I'm going to have to see two MBPs (Matte & Glossy) side-by-side to make that call.

Can't wait for Macworld!

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
262k colors? Doesnt our card give us the option of "millions"?

This probably causes the banding that is noticeable on 17s and 15s...more so on the 17.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Just an FYI, don't be pressured or embarassed when doing the comparison. I asked the Apple rep how often people do this and he said all the time. He was telling me some guy had them side by side and looked at them for about an hour and ended up not buying anything. I'm guessing he drove himself nuts.

But my point was, go and just look for yourself. You can listen to peoples suggestions and opinions like you did with me, but its your money, your purchase and your happiness.

As far as Macworld, I hope and think I made a wise decision buying my macbook pro right rather then waiting. I could careless about iLife 07 since I don't use iLife 06. I knew that Leopard has a little while before release. If apple puts a new video card in the MBP, I'll kick myself, but I don't think that will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.