Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
So has it been confirmed that Apple knows about the 6bit displays and isn't doing anything about it?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
So has it been confirmed that Apple knows about the 6bit displays and isn't doing anything about it?

How could Apple NOT know about it? they CHOSE three different display vendors with similar displays, all 6 bit. It's not just a mistake....regrettably. The new models by AU are also 6 bit it seems, though the 2 lights should make it better.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
So everyone has the banding..... wow that sucks. I did some test last night and I do see some slight banding with the green. I tried it on my external and saw it also, but not as much.

I wish my MBP had the display my Powerbook G4 Ti had, that was very smooth.

I guess I can be happy that my LCD has no dead pixels or any other problems.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
three vendors

How could Apple NOT know about it? they CHOSE three different display vendors with similar displays, all 6 bit. It's not just a mistake....regrettably. The new models by AU are also 6 bit it seems, though the 2 lights should make it better.

First, thanks to iW00t for doing the legwork on the 9C60. The info was really useful. Has anyone got the details on the 9C61 and 9C62 screens?

iW00t, what is the manufacturer code on your 9C60? My 9C61 is manufacturer 0610.

PCE, you mention 3 vendors for the MBP screens. We know one is AU Optronics. Any idea what the other two are?

One person at the Apple store I spoke with said he thinks they may use LG/Phillips and Samsung. Others have mentioned ChiMei.

I looked up ChiMei's notebook LCD selection on their website and there is nothing in the 17 inch category which has a 1680x1050 resolution (only monitors were shown)

http://www.chimei.com.tw/en/product_list.asp?mainclassid=4&subclassid=7

ScreenTek sells replacements for the two screens the MBP 15.4 and two the MBP 17 use, but no mention of manufacturer:

http://www.screentekinc.com/apple-laptops-lcd-screens.shtml

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I think Samsung was the other one. If it was LG, that is praised by Dell Owners, supposely they make good LCDs.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
First, thanks to iW00t for doing the legwork on the 9C60. The info was really useful. Has anyone got the details on the 9C61 and 9C62 screens?

iW00t, what is the manufacturer code on your 9C60? My 9C61 is manufacturer 0610.

PCE, you mention 3 vendors for the MBP screens. We know one is AU Optronics. Any idea what the other two are?

One person at the Apple store I spoke with said he thinks they may use LG/Phillips and Samsung. Others have mentioned ChiMei.

I looked up ChiMei's notebook LCD selection on their website and there is nothing in the 17 inch category which has a 1680x1050 resolution (only monitors were shown)

ScreenTek sells replacements for the two screens the MBP 15.4 and two the MBP 17 use, but no mention of manufacturer:

I always thought that the manufacturers were Chimei, Samsung and AU, but I also thought that the 096C0, 09C61 etc displays were samsung and now they turn out to be AU so I'm not sure anymore. When I think about it, it would surprise me that any of these displays are samsung since samsung usually makes very good displays. Now we need somebody to do the same thing under windows with the 09c57 and 09c56 displays too...

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Unfortunately I can't tell right now.

My Macbook Pro is currently checked in for servicing for a few unrelated issues (squeaky keyboard, kernel panics, and I also made a passing reference to the screen for being "sparkly" and grainy).

Would other MBP users mind posting doing the same as well? That way we can have more info on exactly what screens are used in the current crop of MBPs.

The instructions for doing so can be obtained in the forum linked in my sig.

I just remembered I did this screen shot a while back, my manufacturer number is 0610

ModelNumberHow.png

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
My manufacturer is 0610 also, and my screen is the 9C61 version. Either the manufacturer code is meaningless or AU Optronics makes both the 9C60 and the 9C61 screens. Perhaps others can verify this.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 94

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
My manufacturer is 0610 also, and my screen is the 9C61 version. Either the manufacturer code is meaningless or AU Optronics makes both the 9C60 and the 9C61 screens. Perhaps others can verify this.

Another explanation could be that the 9C61 is the new and improved screen that an earlier poster in this thread was talking about.

When did you purchase your machine?

Do you have Windows installed on your MBP?

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
60/61/62

I was under he impression that it only worked with XP SP2. :confused:

Mine is a 17 inch model from week 51, with a 9C61 screen. It seems that week number doesn't determine which screen you get, as someone in week 46 has a 9C62 screen.

The new and improved screen from AUO only applies to a 15 inch screen and is very new. I doubt it is being used in the MBP 15 inch model right now, although it could be at any time I suppose.

I don't know of improved 17 inch screens from AUO. In fact, a look at AU Optronic's web site shows that they don't even have a screen with 1680x1050 resolution. Hadn't noticed that before....

http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=notebook&func=items&items_id=2&ls=en

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Try this folks...

I was reading the other thread about modding displays when I chance on this post talking about a UNIXy command that can be run under OSX.

It supposedly produces output that looks like this. I think it'd suit our purposes just the same.

Code:
  Monitor Name                 EPI EnVision EN-775e
  Monitor ID                   EPID775
  Model                        EN-775e
  Manufacture Date             Week 26 / 2002
  Serial Number                1226764172
  Max. Visible Display Size    32 cm × 24 cm (15.7 in)
  Picture Aspect Ratio         4:3
  Horizontal Frequency         30–72 kHz
  Vertical Frequency           50–160 Hz
  Maximum Resolution           1280×1024
  Gamma                        2.20
  DPMS Mode Support            Active-Off

Supported Video Modes:
  640×480                    140 Hz
  800×600                    110 Hz
  1024×768                   85 Hz
  1152×864                   75 Hz
  1280×1024                  65 Hz

Monitor Manufacturer:
  Company Name                 Envision, Inc.

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
For whatever help it might be this is the Astra report on my 17" MacBook Pro C2D. The screen is a glossy screen.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 138

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
The info looked a bit thin but it turns out to be a Samsung panel.

It looks like the 9C61 screen has been found. Thanks for the legwork. Nice that it's Samsung who makes it...

So we know it's 6-bit. Notice the response time, though? 25 ms. :(

All the claims that Apple chooses 6-bit panels so they can get fast response times are pure hooey. The panel is SLOW. So much for gaming or watching movies without ghosting. This ought to put to rest the stupid idea that 6 bit TN panels are faster than 8-bit SIPS panels. Nonsense.

Come on, Apple, if you are going with a slow screen at least give us true color. Or use a fast 6-bit screen. There are plenty of notebook LCDs that are true color and fast. Fujitsu uses them. Yet Apple somehow gets the rep for great screens and being suitable for graphics pros.

Not for the MBP, that's for sure. What a joke...

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
It looks like the 9C61 screen has been found. Thanks for the legwork. Nice that it's Samsung who makes it...

So we know it's 6-bit. Notice the response time, though? 25 ms. :(

All the claims that Apple chooses 6-bit panels so they can get fast response times are pure hooey. The panel is SLOW. So much for gaming or watching movies without ghosting. This ought to put to rest the stupid idea that 6 bit TN panels are faster than 8-bit SIPS panels. Nonsense.

Come on, Apple, if you are going with a slow screen at least give us true color. Or use a fast 6-bit screen. There are plenty of notebook LCDs that are true color and fast. Fujitsu uses them. Yet Apple somehow gets the rep for great screens and being suitable for graphics pros.

Not for the MBP, that's for sure. What a joke...

You can watch movies plenty fast on that 25ms screen. 1000ms / 25 = 40. Which means the panel can accomodate up to 40 frames a second, plenty fast for a 29.7 frames per second DVD.

I'd rather have better image quality than faster refresh rates, since who the hell games on OSX or watches movies on a 15"/17" screen anyway?!

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
You can watch movies plenty fast on that 25ms screen. 1000ms / 25 = 40. Which means the panel can accomodate up to 40 frames a second, plenty fast for a 29.7 frames per second DVD.

I'd rather have better image quality than faster refresh rates, since who the hell games on OSX or watches movies on a 15"/17" screen anyway?!

I do for one. My laptop screen is my main screen. If I wanted to buy a second screen just to be able to basic things without screen artifacts I would have bought a different computer. Even with a typical 16ms response time people get plenty of lag on their screens for various applications. 25 ms is going to be worse. Plenty of apps would benefit from a faster response time.

But I agree image quality is more important still, and I'd prefer better image quality over a fast screen, if I were forced to choose. It seems Apple has skimped on both.

Some have said that 6-bit ain't all bad, because Apple in their wisdom have given us a fast screen, and we can't have it all. So much for that argument...

But hey give me 24-bit color and even lighting and I'll live with the slow response time!

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
THERE ARE NO 8BIT LAPTOP SCREENS AT THIS RESOLUTION AND SIZE.

Yes, that is supposed to be all caps. Sorry guys, but it isn't a "choice" by apple. The manufacturers don't have any 8 bit screens available for use, therefor apple cannot sell one. Eventually they will, maybe it will be an oled, maybe we will get that 1920x1200 10bit screen with LED backlights. Who knows, but right now, today, we have the best available.

As for refresh time, I would bet they are actually the same between au and samsung. Depends mostly on the initial measurement and if it was a grey to grey or white to black measurement. Most of those "8ms" screens are actually 8ms grey to grey, but 25-45ms white to black (or at least as grey as the monitor gets).

OEM specs are generally closer to the truth than "published" specs, and AU needs to sell harder than samsung.

Sorry if you dont want to accept that, but it is the truth.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Who knows, but right now, today, we have the best available.

Bzzt, wrong answer.

Not having that 8 bit is no excuse for graininess, poor viewing angles, AND poor colour saturation. Best available? On what merit? It has no redeeming quality.

Oh yeah, maybe "best price".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.