9C89 vs ????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jav6454, Oct 28, 2008.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What is the other screen model going around with new MacBooks?

I know 9C89 is the faulty one or not good one, but what about the other one(s)?

2. MacJenn macrumors regular

9C8C is the other one, but that is horrible also (my friend has that one and I had the other model screen). I don't care anymore because I just returned the 2.4 new crapbook for a new alu Macbook Pro and I love it. There is no comparison between the 2. I hope for future buyers of the Macbook that Apple replaces the screen. It was worse than my blackbook. I feel sorry for the people who have the new one and paid top dollar for that screen.

3. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm sticking with my MacBook screen even though its crap from an angle. I don't want a MacBook Pro simply because I bought the MacBook out of portability and weight.

Besides it fits my needs just fine. Anyways, one can hope Apple launches replacement program...

4. cryonic49 macrumors member

it would suffice if we can find a compatible replacement panel. I would replace the panel in a heartbeat - the new unibodies are so easy to work with

5. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

My screen is 00009C5E and it beautiful .

Attached Files:

6. MacJenn macrumors regular

Some people have low standards. For that amount of money you shouldn't.

7. everlast77 macrumors regular

So now there is three different screen models,

* 9C8C
    * 9C89
    * 9C5E

//Everlast

8. MacJenn macrumors regular

No I was wrong in my post above. My friend just told me it is 9C5E for the one she has. She is returning it also.

9. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't have low standards, I simply don't view my screen from an angle. Never have, nor with my old HP.

10. MacJenn macrumors regular

I could live with the crappy angles it has, but not with the blacks looking like blue head on and the horrible way it looked playing movies among other things. The screen on all the Macbook displays at the Apple Store when I was there today were bad. Even the manager said they were having a ton of returns because of it.

Like I said repeatedly, if you can live with knowing you paid $1300-1600 for a screen worse than a $600 Dell WalMart laptop then all the power to you. I won't ever accept that.

11. Philflow macrumors 65816

Same here. Most $600 Acer laptop have better contrast levels than this MB.

I want to return it but the reseller wants to charge me 15% restocking fee.

I will call apple tomorrow.

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

i would say my 9c8c screen is pretty good. Currently posting from a gym withe overhead lights the screen looks good

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

14. pratap21 macrumors member

Looking at the pics, Id say that my eee 1000h has a much better screen.

Anyway, I'm getting my MB 2.0 in 2 days. Hope for the best! (else I'm going to ebay it)

15. Philflow macrumors 65816

Actually my 9C89 also looks better in bright light.

At night though the flaws start to become more noticeable.

Problem is though, most average laptop users are unaware of things like contrast and exact color tones. I've been through a lot of laptops and currently have a Sony Z here to compare to the macbook. Quite painful. Same thing for comparing it to the MBA.

I wonder how much the protective layer influences the screen quality of the MB.

16. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I have a 9C8C.. the viewing angles are bad, of course.. but when not looking from an angle, it looks ok.

I never use my machine when I'm not directly in front of it.. and I'm going to get one of the 24" Cinema displays anyway.. so I'm not too worried about it.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't waiver now. For days your friend has had the other panel. Go with it.

I disagree with the statement that some people have low standards. I think the better statement is that some people do not see a need to view movies or anything substantially dark on their screen. Low standards? I doubt it. Again, I'm sticking with the fact that we all see different.

18. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Spot on. I've personally been spoilt by top of the line equipment since I was a kid, so my tolerance for anything below-spec very low. The MacBook's screen in this case is horribly below spec, at least for me. :/

19. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Ditto on everything you said. I don't see what the big deal is, it's a laptop, I'm not gonna be using it in all kinds of odd angles. My 9C8C looks great IMO.

20. Philflow macrumors 65816

I think the big deal in only for people who have 9C89. 9C8C seems to be better.

21. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

My 9C89 looks fine every time. I compared my screen to the Apple Store's MacBooks (when I did the ram upgrade) and found mine to be better.

I am not condoning Apple for using an inferior screen for a premium product. But I am not using my screen in 100 of different angles, so in the end it doesn't bug me. Still, just because I don't doesn't make it right to give us subpar screens.

Apple's quality has shure gone down the toilet.

22. King Luis macrumors 6502

just wondering....have you guys tried calibrating the screen to get rid of the faults?

23. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Mac n00b here, so I don't know how to calibrate, yet.

24. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Go to System Preferences, click on Display icon, click on color, and then it guides you through the process. Anyone that can read and see can do it.

25. King Luis macrumors 6502

or download and run supercal.
    did wonders even to my perfect working macbook.