9C8B Screen? (Now with photos of it...)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Locker, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Locker macrumors 6502

I've done a quick search for 9C8B within the MacBook forums, but I can't find anything. Has anyone else got this screen? How does it compare to 9C89 and 9C8C?

[​IMG]

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Well, for starters, there's not 300 people on the boards bitching about them....

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Very interesting. You're the first one to report that screen.

How do you like the contrast, blacklevels?
    When did you order yours?

4. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

To be honest I'm a little disappointed. The horizontal viewing angles are just fine, but vertically it's pretty bad! The first thing I noticed when I turned it on (after the Leopard video) was that the background of the first 'Select a Language' screen looked like it had a big gradient. When I brought my eyes down to be directly level with the screen, it was actually all one colour.

I'll see if I can post some pictures at some point...

5. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

This is the Macbook Late 2008 (Aluminum)?

Joshua

6. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it is.

7. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I've looked at the screen again this evening and it actually looks better to me than it did this morning for some reason. I've took quite a few pictures, your thoughts would be appreciated as I have nothing to compare them to:

A very bright and evenly lit boot screen shot in the dark:
    [​IMG]

A black and white comparison looking at the screen head on, the blacks are dark...
    [​IMG]

Looking down at the screen, things are more washed out:
    [​IMG]

Looking at colours head on:
    [​IMG]

Looking down at colours, again more washed out:
    [​IMG]

Looking up at colours, doesn't look good, but you'd never view it from this angle and I believe most laptops look like this when looking up at them:
    [​IMG]

A random shot from the side for good measure:
    [​IMG]

So, how does that compare to the previous generation MacBook? And how does it compare to 9C89 and 9C8C screens?

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

not for nothin, but pics of a screen are all but useless as a means of comparison.

9. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Surely it can give you some idea of viewing angles at least? It was also taken with a DSLR so the colour reproduction isn't the worst it could be. Anyone want to be more helpful?

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

11. Greystorm macrumors member

Can you post the output shown when you enter this command in a Terminal window?

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

12. shen macrumors 6502

honestly, i can't wait to get one. even the worst pics of viewing angles i have seen beat my last laptop (iBook G3) by miles. :D

13. 8theapple macrumors regular

Those pictures look alright. They look like my screen and probably every other screen out there.

I think people should stop obsessing about the # on their panel because it seems Apple now uses 3-5 different panels for the new Alu Macbooks.

I think the bottom line should be that everyone should just enjoy their laptops and worry less.

14. burdendds macrumors newbie

I just picked up a Macbook today and the 9C8B screen is what I have. I think it's excellent. VERY clear and nice color and viewing angles. I just returned my MBA because of the screen issues with it and this thing blows it out of the water. It's actually a better screen than my Penryn MBP. In fact, this is the first Apple screen that actually looks great without calibration. I hope they have switched to using this for all of the new Macbooks. I think they will have much fewer complaints if they do!

VERY HAPPY

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You would at minimum want a referential "good" device next to it in the photo at the same angles....

16. kasakka macrumors 68000

Pics look good, but do you feel the colors shift if you move your head up or down when looking at the screen? Extreme viewing angles shouldn't matter much because nobody looks at them from there, but if a slight change in sitting position makes the colors washed out, that's not very nice.

Here's a good viewing angle test:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

At the bottom they explain what it'll look like on a TN-panel. Since the MBP also uses a TN-panel the shifting colors are visible on it as well but nowhere near as bad as on the Macbooks I've seen.

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Honestly man, from my understanding, the colour bars should all end at the same place (the way it does in the top-down view).

This is something I would look into if I were you - maybe it just needs to be calibrated, maybe more.

18. Piaget macrumors member

From these pictures, the screen quality seems similar to the 9c8c and 9c89 screens... Fairly even and brightly lit, good horizontal angles, but poor vertical angles.

I'd be very interested if you could post a picture with your MB playing a movie (like Gizmodo). IMO, the black levels are the only major weakness of the MB screens. Vertical viewing angles are usually equally poor on laptop screens.

19. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I've got it too, got nothing to compare it with, except my old laptop (ibm t43). Loving it!

20. jet23jay macrumors newbie

I got 9C8B too and my friend too, i guess the new macbook now ship with 9C8B. 9C8B is made by Chi mei, you can verify by going to the terminal and type this(or copy and paste ):
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It should N133I6-L02 and according to this:
    LP133WX2-TLC1 LG-Philips = 9C89
    B133EW04 V0 AUO = 9C8C
    N133I6-L02 ChiMei = 9C8B

yea.. I think it look fine to me, unless i look at it from the side way, but who does when they use their computer !! But i really want to see the AUO panel a lot of people say it good.

21. Mackan macrumors 65816

I have the AUO one, and overall it's fine. But the lower half of the screen does not produce blacks well, they are washed out to gray. Viewing angle is narrow. But that's how it's been on every notebook I have owned anyways.

22. jet23jay macrumors newbie

I saw someone post a pictures comparing the AUO screen with LG/Philip, it look like AUO have a better screen, the black color on LG/Philip look really wash out, while the Auo produce deeper black than LG/Philip. I don't remember which post it was...

23. Mackan macrumors 65816

Yes, perhaps the AUO one is slightly better. With the right color calibration and gamma, my screen is now quite nice. Much better than the old MacBook screens I have seen.

But I think all these MacBook screens suffer from the black to grey issue. Apple saves the better screens for the MacBook Pro.

24. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

You cannot fix that with calibration, my 9c84 MBP has the same bad vertical viewing angles. It's not possible to find an angle that allows to see both dark color and light colors.

To see dark you need an angle from above, very close to the point where black begins to wash out. When you adjust the screen to see dark color at the upper region it will already wash out at the lower regions. When you set it to see dark colors at the lower regions without washing out black then dark color turn to black at the upper region.

To see light you need an angle from below else they will turn into pure white. Problem is that it's nearly impossible to set such an angle for the lower region of the screen without taking the whole MBP up and looking from nearly on axis of the keyboard. And you cannot see dark color anymore then (all black and at more extreme levels turning into a band of blue).

So it's not only a problem of the particular Macbook screen discussed in this thread. ;)

25. CoreyMac macrumors regular

my 2.4 alumbook just came yesterday.....its flawless. no scratches, chips, slanted keys, dead pixels or anything of the sort. I have this 9C8B screen as well.....it looks pretty good to me actually. seems to be better than the others