Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Whatever Apple ends up releasing, it'll be beautiful. I have a lot of confidence in this.

Whether it'll be large enough is another question. If it really ends up being a mere half an inch larger (by being taller only), then I feel bad for dedicated iOS owners.

It would also likely mean that they'd keep this 4" design for the next two years (with an "S" version in 2013).

But if the iPad mini rumors are true, it would mean Apple's willing to offer different sizes in each of their respective iOS lines. Could mean the same for the iPhone. Who knows.

(I also think that's why they dropped the iPad "3" moniker. Imagine the horrendous naming conventions that Samsung adopted being applied to the iPad: iPad 3 9.8 and iPad 3 7.8? That'd be terrible. This makes me think the iPad mini is real).

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Ok I see where the disconnect is. They are currently doing something of an initial launch starting out in Austin and Salt Lake City, but they actually already have deals in place with the companies I listed previously. Presumably, when they actually do the full release, they will have them instituted into their app. As it stands now, the launch is in its infancy, hence why it isn't a widespread launch yet. As for platforms, it will be launching on the Android platform. As for the other two, they haven't made any mention of Windows Phone yet, and of course iPhone doesn't have NFC yet, so until they add NFC, there's nothing for them to add. Perhaps in the future they might develop a 3rd party add-on for iPhones (if they don't add NFC in the next iPhone), but they haven't made any mention about it. Regarding where is will work, from my understanding it will work on NFC capable registers (such as the Paypass and Paywave terminals). More and more places are starting to get them, and as NFC becomes more commonplace, more business will adopt it.

On another note, I've seen Paypal's new mobile payment system in action. It doesn't require a phone at all.

Thanks for the info.
goodpost.gif

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
The phone looks wider in those images. Maybe its just me. Are there any comparisons with these new "leaked/prototype/legit" phones vs. 4s/4/3Gs to see the size difference?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I unsubscribed to Zagg's promo's and news I got that email "news flash" yesterday 4 different times from Zagg. Seriously I don't need it 4 times and it wasn't new news anyways.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm still not a fan of the taller but not wider group. As we all know Apple can make drastic changes up until very shortly before announcement. Anything this early I take with a huge grain of salt.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I'm still skeptical.

Look at the history of "the next iPhone" leaks. In 2008, the iPhone 3G was supposedly spied as having a front facing camera. (I'll post a link if I can find one.)

In 2009, the iPhone 3GS was thought to have a matte finish: https://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/27/new-comparison-photo-of-matte-iphone-enclosure/

In 2011, the iPhone 4S was thought to be radically redesigned with a curved back: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/iphone-5-to-have-radical-new-design-according-to-case-mate-images/
Other 'leaks' showed it as having it's volume and/or silent controls moved to the other side.

Look at what actually happened.

The only legitimate leak is 2010's iPhone 4 because that was an actual prototype, confirmed by the fact that Apple really wanted it back.

I personally think that that two-tone back is very un-Apple. They're all about consistency, and that's not it. As for the front of the design, I think it could actually be pretty close to the real thing. I'm sure it will be larger diagonally and not just lengthwise though, because that would also be disproportional and inconsistent. But, we will find out, all in due time.

Oh, and the author of that article will be disappointed if he wants anything earlier than a fall release. At the absolute very earliest, it could come out in mid-September, but I think an October launch is more likely.
The iPhone 4S was also leaked in early 2011, just nobody noticed it because it was so similar to the Verizon iPhone 4.

We're all talking about an article dated June 7th by the way.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm still not a fan of the taller but not wider group. As we all know Apple can make drastic changes up until very shortly before announcement. Anything this early I take with a huge grain of salt.

I don't think Apple can make changes at the last minute. Not if you want to have shelves stocked with enough product to try and meet demand.

Ideally we want to iPad3 style launch where there is enough to go around and everything is smooth sailing.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't think Apple can make changes at the last minute. Not if you want to have shelves stocked with enough product to try and meet demand.

Ideally we want to iPad3 style launch where there is enough to go around and everything is smooth sailing.
The talk around the podcast world from sources deep inside Apple is that they have 3 designs and this is just one. Last I heard, they hadn't decided which to go with.

You're right about demand though, at some point they have to commit or they won't have enough to meet initial demand. However, Apple is known to make last minute changes (Jobs had the original iPhone screen changed from plastic to glass one week before launch).

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I'm still skeptical.

Look at the history of "the next iPhone" leaks. In 2008, the iPhone 3G was supposedly spied as having a front facing camera. (I'll post a link if I can find one.)

In 2009, the iPhone 3GS was thought to have a matte finish: https://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/27/new-comparison-photo-of-matte-iphone-enclosure/

In 2011, the iPhone 4S was thought to be radically redesigned with a curved back: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/iphone-5-to-have-radical-new-design-according-to-case-mate-images/
Other 'leaks' showed it as having it's volume and/or silent controls moved to the other side.

Look at what actually happened.

The only legitimate leak is 2010's iPhone 4 because that was an actual prototype, confirmed by the fact that Apple really wanted it back.

I personally think that that two-tone back is very un-Apple. They're all about consistency, and that's not it. As for the front of the design, I think it could actually be pretty close to the real thing. I'm sure it will be larger diagonally and not just lengthwise though, because that would also be disproportional and inconsistent. But, we will find out, all in due time.

Oh, and the author of that article will be disappointed if he wants anything earlier than a fall release. At the absolute very earliest, it could come out in mid-September, but I think an October launch is more likely.

iPhone 3G leaked 3 months before it was released:
https://www.macrumors.com/2008/04/04/3g-iphone-with-glossy-black-back/

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011

I believe it was the iPhone 4 that had the backing changed right at a month before it's release. Of course it's going to lead to some initial shortages but it can still be done. Certainly not ideal but can be done.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If the new iPhone doesn't have NFC, it will be a huge bust for Apple IMO.

Right now, NFC is a gimmick. I don't think it has reached mandatory status. Not yet at least. Apple could make it so by making a big push, but for now the "need" isn't there yet.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Right now, NFC is a gimmick. I don't think it has reached mandatory status. Not yet at least. Apple could make it so by making a big push, but for now the "need" isn't there yet.

NFC isn't a gimmick, programmable NFC tags are extremely useful, although even when the iPhone supports NFC it probably won't support NFC tags in the same way Android does for security reasons.

In my car I tap my phone on an NFC tag and it puts my music, notification and ring volumes on full, enables bluetooth, and opens spotify - something that can get really repetitive when I have to do it all manually considering I use my car multiple times a day.

Although I don't know anyone else with NFC capable phones right now, I'm sure the NFC file transfers are useful too!

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
NFC isn't a gimmick, programmable NFC tags are extremely useful, although even when the iPhone supports NFC it probably won't support NFC tags in the same way Android does for security reasons.

In my car I tap my phone on an NFC tag and it puts my music, notification and ring volumes on full, enables bluetooth, and opens spotify - something that can get really repetitive when I have to do it all manually considering I use my car multiple times a day.

Although I don't know anyone else with NFC capable phones right now, I'm sure the NFC file transfers are useful too!

I wouldn't consider NFC a gimmick, but I think it has a very limited market right now. There are few retailers that have NFC payment machines in place, file transferring is rarely done by 95% of the market, and NFC tags are something that would be utilized by less than 3% of iPhone owners. I think that NFC is an interesting and useful technology but we are far from it becoming essential for new cell phones. I had it built in to my Galaxy Nexus with Google Wallet but I never once used it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I wouldn't consider NFC a gimmick, but I think it has a very limited market right now. There are few retailers that have NFC payment machines in place, file transferring is rarely done by 95% of the market, and NFC tags are something that would be utilized by less than 3% of iPhone owners. I think that NFC is an interesting and useful technology but we are far from it becoming essential for new cell phones. I had it built in to my Galaxy Nexus with Google Wallet but I never once used it.

Where are you pulling those percentages from? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.