9to5mac.com says iPhone 2 will be out in May '08...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anti-microsoft, Nov 28, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

makes sense. I think they will bump the iphone specs and take the opportunity to release some kind of nano phone, not requiring a contract, just music and phone, or they risk losing the music player market to cheap music playing phones, a lot of people want an apple ipod phone but cant afford or dont need the iphones capabilities.

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

would be just in time for a 3G rollout. I'll believe it when I see it.

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Your title says march but the quote says may?

6. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

oops!! My appologies for the title! (I'll just go and fix that!:D)

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I think that's been edited now.

Edit: Posted at the same time as the OP's correction.

8. skeen macrumors 6502

I hope it's not true. A hell of a lot of people will be pissed off by such a soon-after release, including myself.

9. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

A heck of a lot people will have to get used to the fact that IMO, the iphone line will quickly and often be updated.

Steve Jobs already said they have the next one "done" (i think he means in terms of feature set) and they are already working on the 3rd one.

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Cool. I did not even no the subject line was editable. Will have to remember tht since I am all about the typos.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is life. You can't buy a gadget such as this and then expect technological advancement to come to a standstill. It's the same with computers: You're lucky if you have the latest model for six months nowadays. It doesn't make your device any less attractive in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about it.

12. skeen macrumors 6502

I can accept this, but not when it's coming out so soon after launch! I consider the iPhone special in this regard - it's more expensive than any other contract phone (they're mostly free), people simply cannot afford to get the latest model.

They should at least offer some kind of trade-in discount, or something to please existing owners.

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

That model has been out in the states since June 29th of this year, if the release is in May, then that will be almost one year.

Yes. It will have been less time in Europe, but at $400 there are plenty of people that will upgraded each year. I know I will.

You can always skip this one and wait for the next rev.

Why? Did they do this with the iPods which are also priced around the same amount?

14. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

The fact that it is expensive doesn't give you immunity from new models being introduced.

You could always sell your current one on Ebay, and you should be able to get a reasonable price if you keep it in good condition.

15. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I hear you, but it has been out about a year here by then...I would say that is about right for an update...;)

16. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

That would be about the right time to launch the 2nd gen iPhone, I'd certainly upgrade to it.

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'll be there too.

18. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

And so what if it is. A new revision after 6 months (nearly a year if you are in the US) is hardly unusual for a hi-tech product's lifespan. Anybody who has bought an iPhone now has no reason to be annoyed...if you didn't think it was worth it you wouldn't have bought it anyway.

19. SRSound macrumors 6502

The iPhone doesnt need a hardware update, it needs SOFTWARE! I hope this "version 2" really means firmware 2.x or, if it does mean new hardware, the first gen phones will get the same software updates!

20. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

If there isn't another iPhone software release before the end of the year, then the next major update will inevitably be in February to add SDK support.

21. skeen macrumors 6502

The iPhone is different from other regular tech products though - soon enough it will be a platform. You don't see Sony releasing a new Playstation every year - that would be a very, very bad idea.

I'm just wondering what this will mean for apps. People are going to be extremely pissed if all the new apps are only available with some new model iPhone, and their existing one is obsolete in terms of getting new stuff.

A big selling point for the iPhone was that the foundations are set for wonderful capabilities in software. This means jack if it's going to be updated every year! It makes it no different from any other phone in that regard.

22. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

To be honest, I'd be astonished if it wasn't updated every year.

23. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Look,

Bad comprison on the playstation. The iphone is a phone not a videogame system.

2nd, software WILL work on the 2nd gen iphone. SOME things like a GPS (if it is added to the 2nd gen iphone will obviously not work on a first gen.)

3rd, "A big selling point for the iPhone was that the foundations are set for wonderful capabilities in software. This means jack if it's going to be updated every year! "

It will get wonderful features and DOES mean jack since 99% of those features will be useful on 1g iphones and iTouches.

You really need to get to grips with the fact that this phone will be updated often and start saving now.

24. skeen macrumors 6502

Okay, perhaps I'm over-exaggerating LOL. Like someone said, keep my current iPhone in good condition, and sell it when the new one comes out. That should take a nice chunk out of the cost - I'll be fine.

Very much looking forward to the SDK though!

25. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

That's a good plan. I think that should cover half a new phone for you right there. I was going to sell mine originally but then I think I will keep it as a backup just in case dummy me loses the new one. Or if I have to send one in for repairs.

I would hate to have to go back to my blackberry if I need to send the iphone into the shop:eek::eek:

Me too! I just got a call that the caller ID was BLOCKED. I am hoping someone comes up with an app that will:

Check a incoming phone call.
    If BLOCKED send to voicemail and not ring me at all.

I want to know who is calling me, the phone is there for my convience, not theirs.