9to5mac, MBPr problems in every dimension?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

2. CultHero macrumors 6502

9to5mac, MBPr prob in every dimension??

while I understand that this is journalism and headlines sell, I do have to question if the problem with the current generation is as bad as they paint it to be.

Three out of three 9to5mac writers who’ve purchased the 15-inch Retina MacBook have had significant issues—and one of which required three replacements before getting an LG. All three devices continue experiencing performance-related issues, especially when running CPU intensive applications such as Logic Pro.

yikes.

If this is the case, I guess I will be at least waiting for a refurb 2013 or the new Macbook Pro this fall.

Not trying to stoke the fires, I just had no idea problems were as prevalent as they claim.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/20/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-problems-in-every-dimension/

3. Still100 macrumors regular

Yeah I saw this too, I was real surprised especially since they are apple fans/blog. But macbook range, of which I just bought, is a real mess right now or maybe always was, I don't know. I've run out of time to return mine. I'm starting to notice glitches and errors all over the place. Can't believe how expensive it was too.

4. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Be careful, you'll get shot down on here by saying anything sacrilegious about the precious Apple Retina MacBook Pro. They're prefect in every way despite all the problem threads and disproportionate number of people who have experienced "issues". My lying eyes are lying again, of course. Don't speak it. Don't even think it. :rolleyes:

The fact is it's a rev1 product. The retina screen is very sweet to look at, but it needs a generation or two, and then it will be worth buying.

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

You know, I have a rMBP and I'll be getting it back tomorrow from repairs (got my LG screen replaced with Samsung panel after burn-in emerged after a few months of use). This is my first issue with the computer and I haven't really had anything else go wrong with aside from the scrolling-lag that occurred early on but it got significantly better with OSX updates.

I'd say the display panel issue is a definite annoyance, but it's not as if it makes the computer unusable. Obviously, a $2000+ computer shouldn't have any kind of ghosting issues, but it was a first-gen product and hey, sometimes stuff like this just happens. I am surprised how poorly Apple has handled the entire scenario, however. Although I had no issues whatsoever in getting a replacement (he ran a standard burn-in diagnostic test with the checkerboard, it was obvious after 3-minute test), I know many others have and that's what not right. If any other major issues emerge after too much longer, Apple should honestly find a way to make things right, whether it be replacement machines or whatever. I don't know how they need to handle the issues, particularly as they'll grow in numbers as the panel gets older and burn-in becomes more noticable to users of the computer, but Apple definitely needs to address some of these issues users are having.

Overall, do I have a problem recommending the computer to my friends and family? Probably not. I still feel it's leaps and bounds in front of any other laptop on the market today. Unfortunately for me but fortunately for everyone that doesn't own a 2012 model, Apple made some significant tweaks in the 2013 model, and obviously there was something going on to make 4-5 semi-major design tweaks. That being said, Apple making changes in the time-frame they did represents why they are Apple and how they will always make a better product. And the products have a one year warranty, so I really don't think there's anything to worry about buying a 2013 model, especially.

If anything else goes wrong with my Retina, I'll probably see if I can get free Applecare or something along those lines. I don't think it'll be fair for the early adopters to live in fear after the warranty is up!

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

They mention four issues: fan, graphics, battery and screen. Of those, fan and graphics were the target of the last SMC update, and as far as I can tell there are no widespread issues with the battery, which means either they fabricated or exaggerated that. That leaves one meaningful issue: the screen.

I exchanged my 15" Retina once, for that issue. I now have a Samsung screen. It was well worth the hassle of one exchange, because I now have a computer that is superior to every other laptop I have ever owned, and most of the desktops. Would 3 or 4 exchanges have been worth it? Doubtful, but then image retention is not an issue that affects the usability of the computer-- not really.

The reports are overblown. The issues with the rMBP are nowhere NEAR the level of fiasco of the faulty nVidia chips in the 2007/8 model. But people are making a bigger deal out of it than they should.

It's not a "Revision 1" product. It's the 10th generation of MacBook Pro! The rest of the computer represents everything Apple has learned about making computers in the intervening 7 years. Too bad they're sticking with a supplier (LG) who tarnishes their reputation as a result.

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Couldn't put it better than that. If it weren't for LG's clearly bug-ridden, faulty displays, this computer would literally have no caveats. All the other issues have been so minor there would really be no widespread issues.

8. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Took mine in this past Monday. They performed the test a few times. Said it was ok. I saw the screen and no IR but their background was black not grey. They looked when I showed them when you have a grey background... Guess what no replacement

9. professorjay macrumors member

I was also a bit surprised to see this article specifically because it's by 9to5 which is pretty reputable.

The number of complaints on forums were a concern but they're by strangers and also people are more likely to report problems then 'everything's fine'. This article helped reinforce those claims though. Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of people for whom everything went fine.

I need a new computer sooner than later, but I also don't want to be in a position where I'll have to send it in (possibly multiple times). It will be central to my work and dealing with the headache of rectifying things (which some have had problems with) and the time of having to transfer and use a backup isn't something I want to deal. On top of work, I have little spare time as it is.

I hope the next iteration with Haswell has some more kinks worked out.

10. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's simply one article, written by one individual. While it contains some valid points I refuse to base any of my purchase decisions off just one source.

My late 2012 15" MBPR ?

For what it's worth, I had horrible problems with the cooling fans activating for no apparent reason. They'd spin up to max & roar for two to five minutes then decelerate to idle. It occurred randomly yet at least once or twice per 40 minutes of computing it was very annoying.

The good news is lots of people had the exact same problem and the mainstream sites began reporting it. Apple responded, issued a fix & now all is well.

We have both Samsung & LG displays in our work MBPr's and none have demonstrated the IR issue. That's not to say its not a problem, just sharing our experiences.

11. MacKid macrumors 6502

For better or worse, this is the truth. The image retention problems are unacceptable, but by the same token, calling the computer "a problem in every dimension" is a comical attempt to try and generate controversy.

LG screens have sucked, and are sucking less on average but some still suck. Also, early models had PRAM issues. That pretty much sums up the problems. In every dimension.

12. squintypanda macrumors newbie

Have a 15' 2.7g RMBP on the way which should arrive tomorrow. Praying to god it's a Samsung screen....

13. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

The 2013 models do not have problems, I guess.

14. Heartex macrumors newbie

I can only speak from my experience. It is hands down the best computer I have ever own. I was fortunate to also have gotten a samsung display.
    No other issues for me. It has only been a month but I do believe Apple will stand behind their product. They replaced an ipad for me when I did not have applecare. They try to help you in anyway they can. That being said I would not have one of these machine without APPLECARE. They seem to do alot more leant things to people's advantage when you have their policy. :)

15. moxxey macrumors regular

I completely agree and I have an LG panel and have had this rMBP since July 2012.

It's superb. Screen is amazing and I own a quad-core Mac Mini+27" Cinema and have basically stopped using that since the start of the year. The 15" rMBP is that good.

There's some ghosting on the screen, but you only see it if you go *looking* for it. And herein lies the problem. People are just too fussy and expect absolute perfection.

We sell computer software all around the world. We have stores in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Sweden, Ireland and Netherlands.

Where do you think we get the most complaints? From US customers. If they find even the slightest thing wrong with our software, they expect a full refund. Don't get a refund? They get their card company to charge back their money. Failing that, they consider a law suit.

And this is the problem. Expectations. Particularly in the States. They don't see the positives (the design, the superb screen), they see the negatives and go looking for them. When they find them, they get a real bee in their bonnet and expect a new machine, refunds and so on.

You are always going to get a pay off with a new design and, in my opinion, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

16. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yes they do. Also, from other threads I've found, there's a new LG panel on the 2013 models.

17. Giuly, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Bad in every dimension, as in too short and narrow because there is no 17" rMBP, and not slim enough?

It would be interesting to know what LG has to say about it. Or Sharp.

18. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

You can say that again. Or it'd be interesting to see what Apple has to say to LG about it :eek:

19. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Apple consumers in general are a bunch of whining toddlers with money, especially the non-technical set who like to cling onto that "It just works" speak and complain about "how they spent all this money" when it doesn't. I don't think you can pin it to a particular region.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not lying but naive. Discussion forums by their very nature have a disproportionate number of problem threads no matter what the topic.

21. outsidethebox macrumors member

Just to chime in, I've had my base rMBP since last summer and it's been flawless in every respect. For what it's worth, I found out later it is a Samsung screen whatever that's worth.

I'm continually amazed at everything it can do: I can run 2012 games at max settings, have half a dozen chrome tabs open, iTunes going, and word/excel sheets open and I still get practically no discernable lag. All in a device that is so unbelievably thin and shockingly quiet thanks to the new fans. I don't have to say anything about the screen, anyone who's used one knows how you can never go back afterwards.

The only few things that still bug me are OSX software related, otherwise I would happily buy the rMBP again if I needed to. I can see this computer lasting me a long time, making it well worth the (rather significant) investment.

22. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Luckily, mine has been the same way. I'm still running Lion but other than that, it's perfect. No IR, SSD, or fan issues. Build week was sometime July 2012.

23. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I got mine a week ago and it is perfect. No fan issues (these have been solved for everybody with the latest SMC update - I didn't have any even before that), no screen issues (I have a Samsung display).
    This is a perfect laptop.

I understand that people had issues with ghosting and it is a shame for such an expensive machine! Apple should just replace all defect laptops. I also believe that the problem isn't that big and the journalists blow it totally out of proportion.

24. MacKid macrumors 6502

They do. :p

They did. :(

25. KPOM macrumors G5

I think there were a fair amount of "Rev A" issues (as there were with the Rev A MacBook Air in 2008 and the original MacBook Pro and MacBook in 2006), but the "reporting" seemed a bit over the top. I'm perfectly happy with my 13" rMBP. It was manufactured in October 2012, and the fan is whisper quiet, the screen is excellent, and I haven't noticed the kinds of bugs people are reporting on the forums. I'm sure they are real, but I don't think this is nearly as widespread as you might think from reading the article.

Anyway, Apple apparently made some under-the-hood changes to the 2013 models, so they likely identified the source of some of the bugs.