9to5Mac Says Retina MBA at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MyiBill, May 21, 2014.

1. MyiBill macrumors 6502

2. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Love how the date is the 2nd, not long to go!

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Oh, I think they will introduce a new Apple TV…. because I just bought the current one. :D

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

If they release a rMBA, I'll likely be buying one that day. I've been debating between a rMBA if/when announced, and an updated rMBP. Whichever comes first likely gets my money.

6. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

No guaranty they will be available in June even if announced

7. BSoares macrumors regular

I just ordered a 13" MBA this weekend so if they announce it at least I'm still in my return window to return and get the retina one. But because it was just updated, even though it's a tiny change, I doubt we'll see a new one right now. Perhaps they add the 12" rMBA to the line but I don't think they'd make the current ones just retina or a change like that.

8. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I believe will happen and that's why the current ones received the price drop. If the retina air is released it will be in addition to the current models, at least for now. I could see a new completely redesigned retina air coming in at $1,300-$1,400 starting price.

9. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I think the article was just saying that the rMBA is more likely to be released than an iWatch or a new ATV. I really want the rMBA to be announced at WWDC, but "most likely" is relative. If it is announced at WWDC it would be released now with a Haswell CPU (skipping the Broadwell tock for a June release of Skylake), or soon with an A-series CPU. Both of the WWDC announcements are unlikely, unless there is another option I am not seeing. It just doesn't make sense for Apple to release it now. An October Broadwell release is more realistic, leaving 8 months before Skylake, and 6 months after this most recent spec bump. I'm still hoping for a June release though. My wallet is ready :).

Matt

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

As fond as I am of Apple products, I've had enough bad experiences with buying right after a major update.

I'll live vicariously through folks like you's experiences, and maybe if an Anandtech doesn't find any major issues, then I'll jump. :)

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This would be my first time buying a computer from Apple the day it was released, though I have purchased 3 phones and a couple of iPods the day of. I've read about problems with first gen computers, but don't think that will stop me. :) I'm a glutton.

12. dblissmn macrumors regular

They are so behind on so many things still, much of it accumulated from the time Steve Jobs was sick. Aperture, the Mac Mini, Retina displays on the Air and iMac, resolving the future of the iPod, wearable technology and better support for HD TV. What are the most overdue on? Probably Aperture. What's their biggest potential product for WWDC? The iPhone, if they've got the components to justify an upgrade. What do I suspect is most likely? Probably the Retina Macbook Air, as while the price of Dell's new UHD display tells me a 24-inch Retina iMac could be realistic I think Apple seems to want the IGZO-type displays instead in their computers.

13. citan macrumors newbie

if they do announce a retina MBA, do you think they will drop the price on the current model even lower?

14. Idarzoid, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Probably not, I guess it'll be priced somewhere between MBA and rMBP.

If they're really announcing a rMBA, I'd like it to have a 16:10 screen and a SD card, these two will be the deciding factor for me. (The former more so, I can get by if they don't include a SD reader.)

15. stfwayne macrumors regular

I could see Apple doing the following:

- Introducing a 12" Retina Macbook Air for $1199

- Putting 8GB of Ram in the 13 Retina Pro and selling it for $1400 instead of $1300

$1000 Air 13
    $1200 Air Retina
    $1400 Retina Pro

16. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Doubt they'll release a retina MacBook Air. They just updated them.

17. stfwayne macrumors regular

They wont upgrade the 11/13 just release a new model

18. Tech198 macrumors G4

i'd like to see the sources on this one.... lol

seriously ? Apple will have their work cut out if they can do this, but if they can, then i'll be shocked :eek:

Moving all those pixels round in a GPU of not even Iris.

Not a chance with the same battery life..

But, i AM hoping i'm wrong. :D

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

9to5 writes that the retina mba is "rumored". :rolleyes:

There will be no retina mba anytime soon.

20. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

Knowing my luck, a Retina MacBook Air will be announced next week since I just bought an 11".

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

No.

22. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

^This

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

Lets talk again on the 2nd ...

24. yosemit macrumors regular

I think it is very likely. Sony, Samsung and Lenovo all have their "retina" ultrabook lighter than the 13" MBA. The processor is no better than that in MBA. Battery time is much shorter, though.

The question is battery time and weight. To maintain 9+ battery time, the 12" retina MBA would be 2.8 lbs or more, I guess.

Ideally the 12" retina MBA should use Intel Broadwell, but Broadwell won't be out until the end of this year. Apply may not wait because of the competition. It makes sense to have one with Haswell now, and then update at the end of the year.

25. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I will send you a basket of cookies with a picture of me and my shiny new rMBA if your luck is as bad as you claim.

:)