A big no to 10.5.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neilspartacus, Feb 18, 2008.

1. neilspartacus macrumors member

I don't want to upgrade to 10.5.2, i am happy to live the with bugs in 10.5.1 at least my wireless works. I am scared of listening to the endless list of problems from the threads on our forum itself!:(

How many of you are sailing on my boat...????:confused:

The saddest part of all this is that apple does not acknowledge problems with its update....

I am starting to feel that...Leopard 10.5.2 = Vista RTM! in terms of bugs and/or random problems!

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I wouldnt use the forum as a way of judginig how buggy an update is. I have never had a problem with Apple's updates. The OS on my MBP started as 10.4.6 and has since been upgraded to 10.4.10 and from there to 10.5.0 and now trough 10.5.2. In this whole series of updates and all that jazz, i never experienced any probems, not even the oft cited wireless problems. In short, my computer has been acting perfectly trough each and every update.

Judginig the quality of an update trough the forum is doubly useless, since posts of how the update improved or didnt mess anything up are far more rare than posts decrying the update as full of bugs and wreaking havoc on computers.

3. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i would like people to stop whining about 10.5.2....its fine! Its not bad at all! its an update yeah, ment to fix things. it fixed allot of bugs on my pro and it runs better than ever... If something is freezing and not working properly than you really need to phone apple or go into the shop, not put it down to apples update and keep hassling everyone on here about why apple as destroyed your computer!

*rant over*

4. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

I dont mean to judge the update neither do i want or ask people not to update their boxes...I was only asking how many of you feel like staying with 10.5.1?
    And its my opinion that I am starting to feel like leopard with 10.5.2 is acting more like Vista RTM! I fail to understand how expressing onces opinion becomes doubly useless...:rolleyes:

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

10.5.2 has been very worthwhile on all the machines I've installed it on (both home and work). It's solved a few minor but annoying glitches and hasn't introduced a single extra issue that we've seen.

6. himansk macrumors regular

exactly my sentiment

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

10.5.2 fixed a lot of things for me, like a small permissions problem, and made my airport connection much more stable.

Like the previews poster, I have never had any problems with Apple's updates. The only way to judge if an update is worth it,you must first download it and see for yourself. People will never be entirely happy.

For instance, if anyone is happy with the update (which is most of the people) he/she wouldn't mention here, because there is no reason to that! We usually tend to speak only about problems, because that is a situation that need to be solved.

When someone is speaking about a problem, we must ask him how is he using his machine, and what has he/she installed in it. You will see that many people are having problems just because they don't follow up Apple's guidelines correctly.

So, go with 10.5.2. It's a very stable release that fixes a lot of things. At least for me it did when I installed it on 3 Macs (PPC and Intel).

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I have to say a big YES to 10.5.2 - it solved most of the problems caused by the proxy I have to go through. It is much better at handling proxy authentication and has restored me to sanity after months of frustration.

Before the only app (internet based) I could use effectively was FireFox, and other apps eg Journier, Max, etc etc which either check for updates automatically or need occasional access to the web would not even open.

So I am more that happy with 10.5.2

9. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

So far I haven't had any problems with 10.5.2...

10. dsl4c macrumors member

10.5.2 has been installed on all my machines and never had any problems, all of my co-workers who updated their machines are working fine. out of about 11 machines in my inner circle, not one has any issue with the update.. Im thankful safari has been faster with this update.. this has been a great system update..

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

AFP shares, both from other machines and Airport USB Disk (and other "Shared" services) have been 100% stable since update. Before, would randomly drop shared drives on wake - sometimes, along with other shared services.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Although I was only having an issue with my bluetooth mighty mouse dropping signal in 10.5.1 I am very happy to have updated to 10.5.2. So far my mighty mouse works great now and I love how Stacks was fixed and the whole system runs better and smoother so I have absolutely zero issues with Leopard.

Hmm, why do I feel that the OP is either disgruntled for some reason or just creating a flame post. I noticed he's been a MR member only since december. I tend to hold suspect to newbie posters in regards to flame posts. 10.5.2 = Vista RTM??? I have to wonder about the OP.

13. Tonerl Guest

As a switcher who is new to OS X, I took the cautious approach: I updated nothing till SuperDuper! 2.5 was available. Having done a complete backup, I let the system update as it wished, including 10.5.2, and it went as smoothly as silk.

I've had no problems whatsoever since the 10.5.2 update and am happily using lists in the Dock etc. My system remains (touch wood!) rock-solid.

14. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

Now thats rude...to suspect my post! I was just trying to be cautious before I decide to install 10.5.2. I am happy with 10.5.1 and don't face many problems like suggested in the forum, so was quirky about upgrading to 10.5.2.
    How many of those who posted above saying that 10.5.2 is good for them posted on the thread saying that they are happy with it??
    There are 10s of threads crying foul about 10.5.2 creating problems for them, not even a few of them saying it was good!
    So was not sure what I should do, should i upgrade or stay back. So my primary question on the starting post was asking how many are staying with 10.5.1 and are happy with it?
    So i was considering moving to 10.5.2 if i can feel that many people migrated.
    Yes I admit im a newbie but i am not interested to making flame posts....u can see my joining date but probably cant see my previous posts...i have 50 posts and never was i doing flame posts...!!:eek:

15. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

10.5.2 has worked great for me, the machine overall seems snappier and it fixed a lot of little quirks with the Finder, the menu bar.

Remember, forums are a venue for getting help for problems. Usually, for every 1 person with an issue, there are 15 people that have no problems, and therefore you don't usually always hear the good side of things.

16. Flyyvon macrumors member

I second that. 10.5.2 fixed a lots of problems on 4 of my machines. I now love my macs again and no longer regret leaving my Tigers behind.

Yvon.

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Then perhaps change the title to your thread? :rolleyes:;) Because it certainly doesn't imply that you are looking at views. More a blanket condemnation of something you then go on to say you haven't even tried. :p

18. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

updates will come and go...

the best way of maintaining one stable iteration of any OS is to have an external drive where you favorite version resides, I have 2 external drives, one with Tiger 10.4.11 and the other with 10.5. I tested 10.5.2 and aside from some of the fixes I implemented on it, it is stable. But updates will come and go and after a while the Software Update will get annoying, and it will seem that you are losing on something, its not the first time an update has made some other aspects of the OS unstable, it wont be the last, overall updates promote robustness, and I suggest you get an external drive and try updates externally before you install it on your main drive.:D

19. Can macrumors member

I had 10.5.1 and was having issues with the Internet sharing future. 10.5.2 made it a lot more stable and some futures that did not work at all, like sharing trough various outputs now actually works.

20. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Have you actually tried 10.5.2 or are you just scared because of the complaints on this forum? If you haven't tried it, then ignore them and try out 10.5.2. You may have no problems whatsoever. Hell, it fixed my only problem (with X11), and I haven't had any other issues (other than my annoyance at the nearly opaque drop-down menus...) But try it. Make a backup if you can, first, just in case. But I didn't, and my 10.5.2 works flawlessly.

21. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Have you actually tried 10.5.2 or are you just scared because of the complaints on this forum? If you haven't tried it, then ignore them and try out 10.5.2. You may have no problems whatsoever. Hell, it fixed my only problem (with X11), and I haven't had any other issues (other than my annoyance at the nearly opaque drop-down menus...) But try it. Make a backup if you can, first, just in case. But I didn't, and my 10.5.2 works flawlessly.

22. neilspartacus thread starter macrumors member

It did the damage I was afraid of :(

Many of you said its good but it did the damage I was afraid of :(
    I used the software update service and the installation started and the boot up screen with apple and spinnig wheel was there for almost 9hrs now and there is no sign of finishing!
    I force restarted my still the same boot screen is coming! Can some one please suggest what I can do to revert back? I have a back up of my imp data but not a time machine backup!

23. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

You could use a Time Machine backup or use the "Archive and Install" function on the Mac OS X installer to install a fresh copy of the operating system, just ensure that "keep users and network settings" is checked.

I'd highly recommend to anyone applying point releases to use the full combo updater available from Apple.com and not to use Software Update. A lot of the time, Software Update works fine for this, but there are some cases and configurations where this will fail.

24. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

25. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

:p