Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Most products with a larger screen like the Mac and iPads typically have anywhere from 1-3 inches in screen size difference. Why would anyone be convinced to switch from a 9.7 to a 10.5"? Thats 0.8". When it comes to a smaller phone screen thats a lot....but an iPad? Just doesn't seem right.

My guess would be they're going to make that the new "small pro" and dump the 9.7.

Or.......the rumors only have it half right and they'll keep the 9.7 and just shrink the bezel. In turn making it even lighter and more portable.

Guess we'll find out soon but just wanted to start a discussion on why people think a 0.8" is such a big deal on an iPad when in reality.....I really don't think it is.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
I think there could be other differentiating factors. One of the three sizes rumored could be the Air 2 replacement, then you would have the other 2 sizes representing the large and small iPad Pro.

Reactions: Peter K.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I think there could be other differentiating factors. One of the three sizes rumored could be the Air 2 replacement, then you would have the other 2 sizes representing the large and small iPad Pro.

I think this makes the most sense. Make the 9.7 a general consumer iPad, and have a 10.5/10.9 ish smaller pro along side the 12.9.

This is what they should have done to begin with. The 9.7 is too small. 11 or so inches would be the perfect size.

Reactions: mlemonds

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
It makes no sense at all unless they are phasing out the 9.7 or Air 2.

The 9.7 is perfect portable and screen real estate. Apple should work on maximizing what they have and cutting those bezels down and not making devices larger.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
But I think that one of the models, and possibly the 10.x screen size could be the new Air with smaller bezels. The refreshed pros may have the same form factor they do currently due to being the first revision. The pro (s) if you will

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Interested to see what they do with the sizes. It seems they're doing the Samsung approach with regards to screen sizes and tiny increments.

I'm more interested in the software and think they need to make the software more Pro rather than (just) the hardware.

Can't see the sales decline reversing on slimming bezels and adding in an 'in between' size alone.

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017

The 9.7 is perfect portable and screen real estate. Apple should work on maximizing what they have and cutting those bezels down and not making devices larger.

I can see the Air 2 going away or hanging on for a year as the cheap relacement, the bezeless 9.7=10.5 is the new Air 3, and the Pro 9.7 and 12 both just get spec bumps.

As for the "perfect" size, for me, it is/was the Nexus 9. 8.9 inches. I have big hands so the 9.7 Ipad is almost there and can grip it with one hand in a pinch, but the mini is just that bit too small, but size wise, the Nexus 9 hit the sweet spot...too bad its so laggy.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Good grief... The 9.7 Pro is the Air2 replacement.

Get over it already...
Yes it is in relation to the 9.7 form-factor. But in the context of these rumors of a 10.5 iPad things become a bit murkier. IF the 10.5 iPad is going to be the same 9.7 external dimensions but with thinner bezels, then I could see this 10.5 being a "Pro" that replaced the 9.7 Pro... with the Air 2 being the "longevity" model.

Is it crazy to think that Apple would "discontinue" the 9.7 Pro so soon after release? Yes, but not unprecedented. Given the unpredictability of Apple's moves lately, I think virtually anything is possible.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Most products with a larger screen like the Mac and iPads typically have anywhere from 1-3 inches in screen size difference. Why would anyone be convinced to switch from a 9.7 to a 10.5"? Thats 0.8". When it comes to a smaller phone screen thats a lot....but an iPad? Just doesn't seem right.

My guess would be they're going to make that the new "small pro" and dump the 9.7.

Or.......the rumors only have it half right and they'll keep the 9.7 and just shrink the bezel. In turn making it even lighter and more portable.

Guess we'll find out soon but just wanted to start a discussion on why people think a 0.8" is such a big deal on an iPad when in reality.....I really don't think it is.

The difference in screen size is marginal...you're right.

But this site is based on rumors and people love to speculate on the unknowns here.

What features will the 10.5 have as a first? Force touch? More than 2gb RAM? Reduced bezels is a given.

Reactions: Jaakkol9

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The difference in screen size is marginal...you're right.

But this site is based on rumors and people love to speculate on the unknowns here.

What features will the 10.5 have as a first? Force touch? More than 2gb RAM? Reduced bezels is a given.
17% is not marginal, in my opinion, especially if the size and weight remain the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABC5S

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
There have been several rumors explaining the 10.5"

The idea is that vertically it would be the same as having two iPad minis side by side, much like the iPad Pro is like having two iPad airs side by side.

The resolution would increase to the same as the larger iPad Pro.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
17% is not marginal, in my opinion, especially if the size and weight remain the same.

Depends on your perspective.

Some would say 17% is a marginal improvement. You say otherwise.

When the Pro 9.7 came out, it was faster than the Air2. Yet some say, the speed improvement was also marginal. The performance difference was more than 17%.

See what I mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
This rumor doesn't make much sense but many rumors don't. In fact, most rumors reported here and on other Apple rumor sites end up being false, sometimes grossly so.

If a rumor becomes too difficult to easily and logically justify, it's wise to assume that it's bogus.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
All I know is that I will stick with my 12.9 iPad Pro for at least another year unless for some reason there is major differences on the next version but only time will tell as of right now I am loving my iPad Pro using it every day side-by-side with my MacBook Pro to get more done

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

It makes PERFECT sense, the 9.7 will be an entry level "PRO", the 10.5 and 12.9 will be the higher end PRO, possibly with IOSX, which will make it a TRUE LAPTOP REPLACEMENT, it's where the PRO iPAD should have been from the beginning Apples defiant NO to an IOSX iPAD, needs to go, or the iPAD/PRO is doomed. So many people only need an iPad w/ iIOSX, it'll be a CASH COW FOR APPLE, those who need more, can be better served by a LAPTOP/DESKTOP. WAKE UP APPLE, see the OBVIOUS

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

2732x2048 resolution at 10.5” works out to be 326 PPI. This would allow the new iPad Pro to use existing 12.9” iPad Pro apps without developers having to support another resolution. In addition, this higher resolution would allow two apps to be run side by side in full iPad layout, rather than be shrunk down to mobile app format.

So it may not be so much the screen size but the manner in which apps are run in the iPad which makes all the difference.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
If the 10.5 is a pro and is in the same chasis size as the 9.7, I think that's going to make it a bit more difficult to use the Apple Pencil. Your hand will be sliding off the sides with no bezel to rest your palm on. My prediction: they'll release a new 9.7 WITHOUT smart connector or true tone but with some hardware improvements for the low end market (like they did with that plastic white MacBook) and then bump the smaller pro screen size up .8 inches. The 10.5 pro will have more RAM and the new chip, but little other improvements. The big pro will be refreshed to catch up with the tech in the small one. Revolutionary changes, like edgeleess display and removal of the home button accompanied by an OLED won't come until next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kristoffer4

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011

Actually I think the perfect line up would be: The 7.9" iPad mini, the 10.5" ipad, and the 12.9" iPad. All three are roughly 2.5" apart from each other.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think the Air 2 will be fazed out, the 9.7 will be the standard low priced model, the 10.5" and the 12.9" will be the Pro models. From the rumours, Apple are also looking at adding more software features, being able to annotate within Safari, mail, messages and so on with the Apple Pencil.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
2732x2048 resolution at 10.5” works out to be 326 PPI. This would allow the new iPad Pro to use existing 12.9” iPad Pro apps without developers having to support another resolution. In addition, this higher resolution would allow two apps to be run side by side in full iPad layout, rather than be shrunk down to mobile app format.

So it may not be so much the screen size but the manner in which apps are run in the iPad which makes all the difference.
Agreed. The 10.5" would have he same ppi as the iPad mini as well, and thus the same sized touch inputs and UI elements when running split screen apps.
  • iPad Pro 12.9" & 10.5" @2732x2048, A10X, Truetone, Smart Connector, Smart Keyboard, Pencil
  • iPad Pro 9.7" & 7.9" @1536x1024, A10, Truetone, Smart Connector, Pencil
  • iPad Air 3 9.7" @1536x1024, A9
  • iPad mini 5 7.9" @1536x1024, A9

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
As well as a new 10.5" iPad Pro, I wonder if we will also see an updated Apple Pencil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.