a bit scared of getting a macbook pro i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomaskc, Aug 22, 2010.

1. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I am, planning, to be a convert from PC to mac via a macbook pro 15" i7.

How ever I am on a daily basis reading about people having all sorts of problems with the macbooks, and the ones that really makes me rethink it all is heatissues and random faulty stuff noone can explain.

Is it really that bad? or are a few just really unlucky and should go demand a replacement strait away instead of trying to problem solve themself?

thanks in advance, let me know what you think / feel about the current macbook pro 15.

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Macrumors is in large part a complaint / problem board, so you will see and it appears everyone is having issues. However this is not the case.

MBP's are great computers, and rarely have major issues. Plus if they do you are covered. I have never had an issue with mine.
    (my rig is in my sig)

I would say though grab an i5 and use the money you would have spent on the i7 for a Momentus XT or a low volume SSD.

3. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice, but im actually looking to get the i7 and an SSD. This thing gotta last some time hehe.

4. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

The reality is the vocal minority is especially vocal when spending the kind of money they are on these things. (Rightly so to a certain extent.... "off white logos" That might be pushing it...)

People that don't have problems rarely post about that fact. They are too busy using/enjoying their fully functioning MBPs.

Im not saying there are 0 problems, its just that when there are problems, people tend to talk about it more.

5. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I hope you are right. And it makes sense you only hear from the ones with problems. I guess my concern is that some of the problems aren't just problems, it's related to the build quality and the hardware of the MBP which may or may not affect your laptop. but I guess if it does as you mentioned, I would be covered.

Hmm..

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

You only hear from people with problems. If a certain topic is about a specific problem, then most people who will have that problem will talk about it since it frustrates them.

Most people who don't have a problem, don't feel the need to tell it to the whole world how great their machine is.

7. tai27 macrumors newbie

8. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Yup paranoid. Your not any more or less likely to have problems then with a sony, lenovo, etc. Although i've kinda lost my confidence in HP laptops, they always crappin out on me.

9. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear ya!

I returned a HP laptop only last saturday after 3 days... what a piece of... lets just say it had a lot of problems..

10. thecarrot macrumors member

Yeah you guys gotta realize that the error rate for things like this is VERY low. People who have problems are obviously going to be 100x more vocal about it. Way more people post "MY MAC DOESNT WORK" than do "MY MAC IS SOOO GOOD" Despite the fact that 1000 to 1, your mac is gnna be just fine. Even with your issue for the HP, it was probably a 1 in a 1000 type thing at best. HP makes great laptops from my experiences. Just gotta look at it from a overall perspective.

11. nawoo macrumors regular

I've bought apple products since 2003 and never once had any problems or complaints.

Just got my latest i7 17" refurb a few days ago and it's perfect too

The people who post here mostly have problems, hence the need to post and ask for advice, or bitch abt their bad luck while most of the happy population are happily using their macs without any need to post complaints.;)

12. ceshimm macrumors member

i have same worry as you before, and now i am typing on my i7 mbp. it explains everything. just go and grab one, apple will look after you.:apple:

13. Gakboi macrumors regular

There is a ratio which they teach you in marketing school when trying to show the importance of keeping people (or consumers in business speak) happy with your product/service...

If people like something they will tell 3 people how much they like it. If people don't like something they will tell 20 people of their bad experience.

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

In the case of apple, fanboys simply try to convert everyone in their paths into Steve worshipers. It's a beautiful sight is it not?
    now that's a ratio that brings in the bucks...

15. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha it's so sad but true. And that's probably also why I'm not just jumping on it but doing some research first. I have had quite a few laptops in my time so I have seen a whole range of annoying errors, some that could be fixed and others which resulted in not so happy customers.

But I really like the feel and screen on that macbook pro and for my everyday, well even my work it doesn't matter if im using win7 or osx.

How is it with bootcamp? is it strait forward and does it come with the macbook or do you need to acquire that after wards? thanks

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Boot Camp is included with Mac OS X and does not need a special acquiring method. You just run it without prior installation.

17. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

great. thanks.

I read that a lot of people are REALLY annoyed with the permanent mouse acceleration that osx have especially when gaming, wow, sc2 what ever.

I also read that some people are buying this to combat it:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Step.html

anyone have any experience with this? does it actually kill the acceleration so the mouse acts like it does in ex win7?

18. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The high percentage of complaints on MR is NOT representative of the vast majority of Apple user's experience. Apple makes very good products and if you do end up with a dud (very unlikely), Apple service is the best.

cheers
    JohnG

19. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

oh goodie

20. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I say, go for it. There is nothing wrong with thoroughly researching a product before you make your investment in it. But apple had always stood by their products and their customer service is second to none, IMO. I lived in PC land for over 20 years before switching to a MBP two years ago. It was like night and day. Realize that MR is also a sounding board for people who need help with their computers. Some problems are mostly lack of pressing the right keys or installing the right aids. Some issues are serious problems with hardware, but if under warranty or if covered by Apple Care (a must IMO), they are replaced free of charge. So, I encourage you to pull the trigger and go for it. My new i7 is due here hopefully by tomorrow. So I am practicing what I preach! Good luck in whatever your decision is.:apple::)

21. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

lol this place is all about complaints and issues =D lol i seen one i am super happy post, hehe the rest just stay idle and content, there is the odd issue but if you see like 100 issues on here there probably a million of those laptops in circulation, and i am highly not recommending the ssd at this time, they are pretty amazing but they are way to over priced for what you get!!!! i have heard of the next gen coming that are bigger and faster, and will drop the prices quite a bit, i am waiting for it =D

22. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that the SSDs are way overpriced but the next gen I heard of 2 years ago... hehe sometimes you can keep waiting for something better I guess.

23. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i've played lots of games on it with no problem, the only time i can not stand it is in FPS games.

edit, just found this, gonna give it a "shot"
    http://triq.net/mac/mouse-acceleration-preference-pane-mac-os-x

24. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I had some reservations as well with the new i5/i7 laptops. I've been using a 15" '07 Santa Rosa 15"/2.2ghz for the last 3 years...the one with the nVidia GPU issue. Other than having my Logic Board replaced...locally, I've only ever had a battery replaced. Both under warranty. Both immediate.

The Logic board took 18 hours to fix here in town.

My wife has an '07 13" MacBook. We have a 3.0ghz octo-core Mac Pro. We also have a 5 or 6 year old 15" Power Book. No issues on ANY of the other workstations.

Last week, I picked up the 17" i5. Love it! Absolutely LOVE IT!!! I can't speak for the i7...ultimately, I decided on the i5 because of the "closeness" of the benchmarking between the two. Saved a couple hundred in order to add an SSD myself. Much bigger performance boost than the processors.

I, too, came from the Windows side after two decades (3 years ago). Couldn't be happier. Products are top notch, resale is phenomenal (Just sold my '07MBP for 1150!), and service is absolutely Awesome! Couldn't be happier. If you're considering one of their laptops...don't be nervous. Pull the trigger and your reservations will quickly be eliminated!

Good Luck,

J

25. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

The same goes for cars, appliances, pretty much anything these days... You buy something and even if you dont have any issues, google away, find a forum and think OMG what did I do? All you really see on the net are people with problems. Go buy it, use it and enjoy!!

Just an FYI... Mac folks tend to be more anal then other types... you will find people zero in and what many people would call "minor" issues not taking into consideration that with any mass produced product you will find something out of spec or just a tad off if you look hard enough. If you are looking for perfection go drop 390K on a Ferrari 599 and even then, I bet someone screws something up between you and the factory :)