A Calling App for blind!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mukaissi, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mukaissi macrumors member

Hi

The word first calling app that target people with special disabilities ,especially blind, is expected to hit the app store this Friday april the 3rd.
    The name of the app would be "A Special Phone" .
    I have attached a snapshot of "A Special Phone" logo.
    More info will follow during this week maybe some promo-codes before the initial launch.
    Http://twitter.com/mukaissi
    Yours
    M.K.

Attached Files:

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

its a great idea, but i can't see how a blind person could even remotely use a touch screen based phone.

3. Zincous macrumors 6502

4. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

5. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

"A Special Phone" was approved today Monday 03/30/09 by the app store.
    It took double the amount of time in order to get the green light to publish the app.
    Most probably Apple did some test on people with special disabilities as I got an email from them noting:
    "Your application A Special Phone is requiring unexpected additional time for review. We apologize for the delay, and will update you with further status as soon as we are able."
    Thanks

6. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

A Special Phone is great for every one: from small kids that doesn't know how to read to old people that need special glasses to read, from regular people (driving a car...) to people with special disabilities (even blind).

7. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Got any links to this app. I can't find it in the store.

8. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

The release date is this Friday April the 3rd :)

9. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Then why did you make such a big deal about it being approved? Typically one would say that the app wont be available until X date, if they know they are holding it. By saying its approved, usually means that it is in the store. Yes, your original post says "is expected to hit the app store this Friday april the 3rd", but it is misleading, since you knew it would be held until the 3rd.

10. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

I apologize if I got misunderstood. Actually even if the app is being approved during the review process, you can choose to hold it for a while so you would be able to do premarketing and do previews by distributing some promo codes and spreading the word.
    Thanks

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Oh I know that. No worries. It was just a bit confusing. Didn't mean to sound like I was attacking or anything.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just had to say, I hate it when the word "Special" is used to describe equipment/programs/accomodations for people with disabilities. I know it's not meant to offend, but being called "special" just makes me feel I'm different, and not in a good way.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

then what do you prefer?

14. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

Hi
    As you said, word special is used "to describe equipment/programs/accomodations for people with disabilities." In order to get the app easily searchable in the app store for people that needs it, I had to use this word :(
    Thanks for your comment

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm. How about "calling app for the blind"? :D

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

my GF informed me "adaptive equipment" is the correct term.

17. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just because something is done, doesn't make it right to keep doing it. I'm sure there was a time when people saw nothing wrong with using, say, the word "negro" to refer to those of African-american descent, but when it was objected to, people stopped using it.

As I said in response to the other poster, I don't see anything wrong with using "blind" as part of the app title. Or how about something like "iAid"?

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ah, yes, thanks! How about "i-Adapt"?

Heee. Will have to check that out!

20. Resist macrumors 68030

I have no disabilities and my Grandmother used to tell me all the time when I was little that I was special. So you mean she was really saying that I was different and not in a good way?

Why do people always want to change the meaning of words that were never meant to be degrading? It's like with the words Black and Midget, now it is African American and Little People. Everyone is way to overly sensitive these days.

21. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

You should become prime minister.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The way your grandmother used "special," of course it wasn't degrading. And you are right that words themselves aren't degrading -- "black" and "midget" would have been perfectly fine words, if so many people hadn't used them in degrading ways for so long. And once a word builds up such a negative association, it's hard to undo that. "Special," in my opinion, is halfway to the point where it is accumulating too much negative association. I'd like to stop it before it gets all the way there. Because as you point out, when used positively, its such a, well, "special" word!

23. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

In "A Special Phone" description , I used :
    "A Special Phone is great for every one: from small kids that doesn't know how to read to old people that need special glasses to read, from regular people (driving a car...) to people with special disabilities (even blind).
    "
    So It's special for everybody not for a specific group of people :)

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Old people use "reading glasses," and I have no idea what "special disabilites" are... Are some disabilities not "special"? :(

25. mukaissi thread starter macrumors member

Now you know the description of this app.
    So can u suggest some alternative description that cover what we wants to say?
    So we can fixed before the release date this Friday April the 3rd.
    Thanks