Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Now you know the description of this app.
So can u suggest some alternative description that cover what we wants to say?
So we can fixed before the release date this Friday April the 3rd.
Thanks

Thank you very much for listening!

I'd just use "reading glasses," and plain "disabilities," without "special." I'm not too clear on what other kind of diabilities other than blindness you think this app can help with. If it is just about helping the blind, then perhaps you should just say "people who are blind or have other vision impairments," and leave out the reference to disabilities in general.

And if it isn't too late to change the name of the app, may I suggest "i-Adapt" or some other name using the word "adapt," "assit," "aid," etc.

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you very much for listening!

I'd just use "reading glasses," and plain "disabilities," without "special." I'm not too clear on what other kind of diabilities other than blindness you think this app can help with. If it is just about helping the blind, then perhaps you should just say "people who are blind or have other vision impairments," and leave out the reference to disabilities in general.

And if it isn't too late to change the name of the app, may I suggest "i-Adapt" or some other name using the word "adapt," "assit," "aid," etc.

I can remove "special" from some description. :)
Actually "A Special Phone" it first targets for people with special disabilities in general and even blind can use it. This app is so easy to use to make essential phone calls that anyone can used it without knowing how to read like young children or without looking at the iPhone screen like while driving.
I will post tomorrow the remaining of the description and get some feedback ;)

If Anyone else have some feedback please let me. This app is intended to help people and make their life easier.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I can remove "special" from some description. :)

Thank you!

Actually "A Special Phone" it first targets for people with special disabilities in general and even blind can use it.

Hmmm, do you mean people with intellectual disabilities? If so, please, just say "intellectual disabilities"! There's nothing wrong with those words! ;)

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you!

Hmmm, do you mean people with intellectual disabilities? If so, please, just say "intellectual disabilities"! There's nothing wrong with those words! ;)
No also physical disability, like vision problem, loss of vision, problem with handling using both hands, speech problem...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No also physical disability, like vision problem, loss of vision, problem with handling using both hands, speech problem...

Great, just list all of them in your product description! How exactly does your app help someone with a speech difficulty? I have some speech difficulties myself, so I'm very eager to learn how your app might help me!

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Great, just list all of them in your product description! How exactly does your app help someone with a speech difficulty? I have some speech difficulties myself, so I'm very eager to learn how your app might help me!

Well if you would like willingly or unwillingly call someone without looking at your iPhone screen like while driving, in the past you had only one option. This option is to use a voice dialer app. Most probably ,and correct me if I'm wrong, this kind of apps won't work.
With "A Special Phone" you don't need to say a command. "A Special Phone" implements 2 types of feedback (if your not looking at the screen) voice feedback and tactile feedback. The only thing a person needs to do is shake the phone and hear and feel the feedback.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well if you would like willingly or unwillingly call someone without looking at your iPhone screen like while driving, in the past you had only one option. This option is to use a voice dialer app. Most probably ,and correct me if I'm wrong, this kind of apps won't work.
With "A Special Phone" you don't need to say a command. "A Special Phone" implements 2 types of feedback (if your not looking at the screen) voice feedback and tactile feedback. The only thing a person needs to do is shake the phone and hear and feel the feedback.

"unwillingly call someone"? I'm not sure what you mean by that?

And I do hope people driving cars aren't shaking their phones while driving! Both hands on the steering wheel please! :D

You are correct that voice dialing apps don't work well for me -- but I have no problems with using the iPhone's standard dialing interface to dial a number. My main problem is that I can't make the person on the other end understand me once I connect! For this reason, I had never had a cell phone before the iPhone. And it never occured to me that texting could be a useful method of communicating, but now that I have discovered SMS on the iPhone, I use it all the time. If someone calls me, I hang up and text them back. :D

It does sound like your app could be useful for someone with a visual disability, and I am very interested to see it in action. How much will you be charging for it?

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
"unwillingly call someone"? I'm not sure what you mean by that?

And I do hope people driving cars aren't shaking their phones while driving! Both hands on the steering wheel please! :D

You are correct that voice dialing apps don't work well for me -- but I have no problems with using the iPhone's standard dialing interface to dial a number. My main problem is that I can't make the person on the other end understand me once I connect! For this reason, I had never had a cell phone before the iPhone. And it never occured to me that texting could be a useful method of communicating, but now that I have discovered SMS on the iPhone, I use it all the time. If someone calls me, I hang up and text them back. :D

It does sound like your app could be useful for someone with a visual disability, and I am very interested to see it in action. How much will you be charging for it?
Thank you for your interest in "A Special Phone".
"A Special Phone" would be released for 2.99$

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
"special disabilities" is probably one of the most unintelligent grouping of words i have heard lately.

You might be a genius with programming, but maybe you should hire a writer to write your description.

Instead of special disabilities, its called "special NEEDS" because they have different/specific needs than the average person..

I would write:

This application is great for people with special visual needs. Children, eldery, and the blind will all benefit from the easy to use UI on this app.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
and really.. TWITTER is your ONLY link to information about your app?? You couldnt even get a free blog to write SOMETHING about your app?? Seriously, THAT is just lazy. Get a website of ANY kind and give people real info about it.

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
and really.. TWITTER is your ONLY link to information about your app?? You couldnt even get a free blog to write SOMETHING about your app?? Seriously, THAT is just lazy. Get a website of ANY kind and give people real info about it.

Hi
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I was busy requesting reviews. I also had a deadline to submit a research paper(I'm currently a Ph.D student) and I work part-time!!
A website has been released Yesterday: http://www.aspecialphone.com
I will add some info to it today.:)

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
"special disabilities" is probably one of the most unintelligent grouping of words i have heard lately.

You might be a genius with programming, but maybe you should hire a writer to write your description.

Instead of special disabilities, its called "special NEEDS" because they have different/specific needs than the average person..

I would write:

This application is great for people with special visual needs. Children, eldery, and the blind will all benefit from the easy to use UI on this app.

It seems that you are a good writter ;)
Thanks for your advice. I will change my description accordingly. "A Special Phone" is not only great for people with special visual needs but also for people that has problem in dialing. It can be physical(like missing on hand or finger(s)) or intellectual (can't focus on making a specific task for a certain time).
I will also post the whole description of "A Special Phone" today in order to get feedback and modified before Friday.
Actually this was one of my main objective to post in this forum, in order to get feedbacks.
Thanks

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
its a great idea, but i can't see how a blind person could even remotely use a touch screen based phone.

That's what I'm thinking. It would be quite difficult to say the least.

But anyhow, kudos on mukaissi for developing it, and good luck with the app! :)

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
This application is great for people with special needs even blinds. Children, eldery, and people without a special need will all benefit from the easy to use UI on this app.
or
A Special Phone is great for every one: from small kids that doesn't know how to read to elderly that need glasses to read, from regular people (driving a car...) to people with special needs (even blind).

Which one is better. I know this can be sensitive subject to talk to especially for some subjects and i want everyone to be happy :)

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Sounds like a subtle attempt to get free copywriting services to me. :)

Well collaborative work is much better then single work and I want to involve everybody ,even people with sepcial need, in the discussion ;)
And you will have the chance to influence the description's writing :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This application is great for people with special needs even blinds. Children, eldery, and people without a special need will all benefit from the easy to use UI on this app.

Overall, I really like this description. But I think you mean, "especially the blind" (don't forget "the"! without "the" "blind" is an adjective, not a noun) "Even" is used like, "I'm so hungry, I could even eat a horse!" Like something you wouldn't normally do, but would do in a pinch. So saying "even the blind can use it" means this app is for some other group of people, but blind people could use it too if they want.

Actually, the last part of your description could be: "Children, eldery, and even people without special needs will all benefit...."

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
even blinds.. UGH that is bad.. thats like saying.. even the hobos! "blinds" arent a group of people.. they are just a person that can not see.. Does that make sense?

"A Special Phone" is not only great for people with special visual needs but also for people that has problem in dialing. It can be physical(like missing on hand or finger(s)) or intellectual (can't focus on making a specific task for a certain time).

I would say this:

"a special phone" is a dialing system created specifically for people with special dialing needs. This application helps people with visual disabilities and physical handicapps. It creates a simple solution to dialing on a touch screen that will not only be of great use to the blind, but also to the eldery, children, and those that have problems using the flat touch surface to dial.

Actually, send me your entire description, i will rewrite it for you.. You REALLY have a hard time writing - and it shows. A bad description will lower the quality of the app overall

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
second thought, on visiting your website.. you should just hire me to be the marketing director for your little app there.
:)

I do web design, graphic design, etc.. And i HOPE thats not going to be your app's button is it?

mukaissi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
even blinds.. UGH that is bad.. thats like saying.. even the hobos! "blinds" arent a group of people.. they are just a person that can not see.. Does that make sense?

"A Special Phone" is not only great for people with special visual needs but also for people that has problem in dialing. It can be physical(like missing on hand or finger(s)) or intellectual (can't focus on making a specific task for a certain time).

I would say this:

Actually, send me your entire description, i will rewrite it for you.. You REALLY have a hard time writing - and it shows. A bad description will lower the quality of the app overall

Thanks for the offer :).
Here is my full app description:
<<<Introducing the world first calling app that target people with special needs.>>>

A Special Phone has 3 feedbacks: Audio, tactile and visual. The only thing a person needs to do is shake the phone. With big contact pictures, audio play and vibration the caller is 100% sure that he is calling the right contact even if the caller doesn't have vision, have vision problem(s) or he is driving and can't look at the phone.
A Special Phone will let you preset 6 different contacts and record their voice signature.

This application is great for people with special needs especially the blinds. Children, elderly, and people without a special needs will all benefit from the easy to use UI on this app.

A Special Phone is different then conventional voice recognition app where you need to talk with a specific language even a certain accent. With A Special Phone you can record in any languages and dialects. Voice recognition apps fails in case of emergency or during some physical activity where the tone and the rhythm of your voice changes. A Special Phone is always reliable even in noisy environments.

Initial Settings (Done by a person without a special need):
-tap the info button
-choose your contact by single tap.
-set your contact preferences (including voice recording) by pressing and holding your contact pic.

Usage:
-shake your phone and your ready to make your first call :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.