A Chronicle of things that can undo your iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jav6454, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well now, you might be wondering, how does the preceding thread title will unfold.

Lo'behold! Today on the day of the iPhone's first announcement, I simply have lost my 5S. But, how do you ask, is that relevant to you, or how is it forum reading material? Well, carry on reading if you want, but if you don't want, I assure you, you may want to reconsider.

Coming to work, I realized that I had forgotten my charger for my 5S. Now, this would not be a problem if the 5S would have had the original 30-pin connector (plenty of people at work with 4S/4). Given that my work shift right now is 12 hours and that I use my phone heavily, I decided to turn off cellular data before getting to work as a battery savings. Right here is mistake number 1. My iPhone does have "Find my iPhone" active and working. So it is always in my best interest to have that connection going until the last possible second.

Fast forward 5 minutes after that decision. I decide to stop with my coworkers (who carpool with me) at a local pizza hut (I am in the night shift, for those wondering why pizza in the morning). I get out and use my iPhone and after a quick pick up leave towards work. Mind you at this point, my friend's vehicle is full of bags and pizza boxes.
    Hoping out of the car we each grab bags and stuff. I didn't feel my phone in the pocket, but I didn't think much of it. In the work area, after 10 minutes of being inside, I needed to make a call. No iPhone.

Check pockets, nothing. Check my desk, nothing. Check the car in every corner, nothing. Drive to the Pizza Hut to check and talk with the on-duty gaurd, nothing. Check with video surveillance of my work place, something. You can barely see something hitting the ground on the side I get off. Later within the 10 minute window I was inside several workers pass by the car. Several stop by the car but none, do a pickup motion. I'm heavily leaning this is when I actually lost it/had it stolen.

What's my reaction? iCloud of course. Well, thanks to my earlier decision, iCloud has become useless. No cellular data means no connection to the internet. Moreover, Wi-Fi is off. TouchID and passcode are enabled. So no way of the finder to set those on; assuming good samaritan.

At this point, I have deadlocked myself into never finding it. Who eve finds it, can't make calls due to TouchID. They can't hook it up to Wi-Fi, and cellular data s off.

Hopefully, if they do restore it, Activation Lock will kick in (assuming iTunes checks iCloud) and block the phone entirely.

Now, lesson learned here? Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, turn Cellular data off (unless you are inside of a plane). You have low battery, suck it up. Its always best to have iCloud work with your iPhone to the last possible second, than not having that ability should you ever need it.

Of course, the events unfolded here are a series of probabilities that combined to make the mess happen.

Feel free to let your negativism or positivism run their courses here.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And don't use airplane mode even when flying either.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

I somehow hope things turn out right for you.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks man.
    I lost my iPhone a few years back like days after I got it when it came out and I was kicking myself in the ass.
    Happens to the best of us;)

5. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I wouldn't do that. Flying is one thing. If you loose your iPhone in the plane, while flying... there is only one place it is bound to be.

6. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

If the CCTV shows no one picking it up, it must still be there surely?! :/

7. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

If you didn't turn off Cellular Data maybe the battery would be dead before dropping it and the result would have been the same.
    Anyway, it sucks ! Hope you find it !

8. I7guy macrumors G5

True, but if anyone plugged it into a charger...

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That really sucks, jav6454. I hope you are able to find it.

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I read this in class (before it started, mind you!) with cellular data turned off, turned it back on after reading. :eek:

I hope you find your phone!

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

So did I. Never thought of that. Thanks for the post OP, and wish you luck

13. I7guy macrumors G5

You are/were required by law to turn off your phone. With the new rulings now I would turn it off to save battery life. As I always send an email saying u arrived safely, there was never any danger to leaving airplane mode on.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Absolutely agree. So turn it off instead of leaving it in airplane mode. It'll get detected once turned on, but not if it's stuck in airplane mode as in the OP's case in that thread.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes I see your point, which I missed before

16. MAvery macrumors newbie

Oh man, that is really a series of unfortunate events. I'm so sorry that happened. Thanks for the warning!

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yikes. Like everyone else I hope it turns out OK for you (whatever form that takes).

I went into the Apple store to get a replacement for the wifey's broken earbuds and the genius asked me to turn off Find my Phone. My first thought was, "Nooooooooooooooo!"

18. divergirl macrumors regular

I've gotten around the "good Samaritan but can't get ahold of me" issue by having a small message on my lock screen that says "If this phone is found lost or missing, please call or text ##########." The number is not my home number but a Google Voice number that doesn't have any personal information attached to it. I figure that way, a good Samaritan would be able to get ahold of me, but a thief wouldn't be able to use that number to get personal information about me and use it in nefarious ways. The one downside is that I had to disable all notifications (except for incoming calls) on the lock screen since if I got a text or something it would block out the message, but I figure that's probably more secure anyways.

19. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

At this point, the phone is lost. No way to track it and it is obvious no one has come forward with it. So, I have to cut my loses and write it off.

I'm going to buy a replacement within the next days. Just waiting on AMEX.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I hope you didn't tell Amex that you lost or might have lost it in a vehicle, as that's one of the exclusions under Amex Purchase Protection. I assume you have a Platinum Amex card, as it covers theft, damage and loss, whereas all other Amex cards cover only theft and damage but not loss?

21. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

It's the Platinum, so I'm covered.

22. matttye macrumors 601

Sorry to hear that, hope it turns up, although it sounds like a lost cause :(

I charge my phone overnight every night so never run out of battery, but for those who do; you should buy and keep a charger in all of the places you regularly visit. E.g. friends' and families' houses, work, etc.