Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Had a chance to compare my iPhone 4 with my friend's 4S this weekend.

A few subtle differences we noticed (they've probably been noted here already, but thought I'd pass them along anyway just in case):

- The speaker is better. This was very obvious when we played identical mp3s in the 'Music' app. For ringtones and text tones, the iPhone 4S appeared louder, but it was not as pronounced as when we were playing music.

- The vibrate has changed. The 4S vibrate makes less sound but vibrates just as hard if not harder. If it is in your pocket during class/work, this is a welcome change.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
- The vibrate has changed. The 4S vibrate makes less sound but vibrates just as hard if not harder. If it is in your pocket during class/work, this is a welcome change.

yeah, they've changed to a rotary vibrator (think shaking your fist in a circle), as opposed to a linear vibrator (think shaking your fist back and forth in a straight line). rotary vibrators are substantially more quiet than linear.

I kind of prefer linear, as I now can't feel the vibrate if I have my phone in a case. I pretty much keep my phone on vibrate 100% of the time.

alucinari

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
yeah, they've changed to a rotary vibrator (think shaking your fist in a circle), as opposed to a linear vibrator (think shaking your fist back and forth in a straight line). rotary vibrators are substantially more quiet than linear.

I kind of prefer linear, as I now can't feel the vibrate if I have my phone in a case. I pretty much keep my phone on vibrate 100% of the time.

You've got that the wrong way around. The AT&T iPhone 4 and earlier used the noisy rotating counterweight vibrator. The VZW iPhone 4 and the 4S use a quiet linear vibrator.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4S-Teardown/6610/2#s28315

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.