A creepy crawly bug inside my rMBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M5RahuL, Jul 22, 2013.

1. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

As I was typing, I saw this red roundish ...thing... about the size of a dot...walk out of the vents below the screen and quickly went back in before I could pounce on it!! :eek:

Any remedy to this *bug* situation ??? I don't want it ruining anything inside and I really would like to get rid of it [ hopefully it's alone ::::shudder:::: ] because the computer goes in a backpack 1-3 times a week....:eek:

Help !!!

2. maflynn, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No much you can do about this (other then take the computer apart), other then wait for him to leave. If he's small enough he'll probably not cause any harm.

Maybe put the laptop on a stand such a mStand So this doesn't occur again?

Edit:
    Old computer folklore. The term bugs (in your code) occurred because back the early days of computers, software they found a bug in the computer that caused a malfunction :)

Wiki

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

He'll probably cause any harm? I guess you mean won't cause any harm.
    I'm not sure an mStand will stop this sort of thing happening in the future. Bugs can crawl/fly up to the vents still. I suggest doing some really intensive computing to heat things up and flush him out or kill him!

4. iLive macrumors regular

5. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I never shut the Mac down, so it's probably the heat enticing it [them!!] to nest in there...

I think I'll pop the base cover and clean the **** outta the insides ... I just hope it isn't a preg. female with a bazillion eggs waiting to spawn!!

What kinda screwdriver do I need for this.... Will the #00 work ? It's gonna be a task taking the Speck hardshell off too... ugh!!

6. alex0002 macrumors 6502

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Keep your area clean, that might help your "bug" issue. Keep your Mac well ventilated to prevent high temps, if you think heat source attracts bugs.

On the other hand, spray bug zapper around your area and let it drift into your Mac... hardcore solution there.

8. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Turn screen off and in a darkish room but a brigh light near vents bugs seem to like brights lights its how the bug zappers work

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, that's what I meant :eek:

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I got a phone call at work telling me I needed to come home now. When I called I got told there was a daddy (mummy) long legs that had decided to make a nest a lay 30 odd babies. The Dyson took care of them when I got in, but then I had to strip and clean the vac otherwise she wouldn't use it again. The image is pretty crappy but here you go. It was next to my old Xbox but it looked okay.

Attached Files:

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Except perhaps psychologically?

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Just do something CPU intensive and bring the CPU temp around 80~90F.
    It should get them out due to the heat.

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

For the hell of it you should take it to the Apple store, claim there is a creature living within your macbook and you do not wish to disturb its new habitat; then request a solution and enjoy the expression on their faces :D

14. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

call PETA and tell them the bug just broke the law

15. Matacarvalho macrumors member

play a game ... when the vents kick in you will see him go away

16. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Just a dust mite.

It's a dust mite. Better in the vent than in your nose.

17. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Okay, so far tried a few suggestions and no dice. I'm not even sure if it's still alive/in the system, baked/fried or an escape artist!

Went shopping for a Pentalobe screwdriver and learn't it wasn't available anywhere [ Radioshack, BB, Home Depot, Ace, Computer Repair shops, local watch and jewelry shops et al :p ]

So... ended up buying it from iFixit and waiting to receive it now for any further action.