a dozen pages of threads!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by shecky, Feb 6, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i check MR a few times a day, but not always as the same time of day. no matter when i check it, so long as it has been a few hours since i last checked it, i always see exactly 12 new pages of threads. not 10, not 18, but 12. every time. ill check it after i get up in the AM and before is start working, 12 pages. after i get back from teaching, 12 pages. etc...

at first i thought i was just more regular than i figured i was, but there is no way i am THAT lucky to catch the forum at exactly 12 pages of new threads every time.

anyone else noticing this? or did i just forget to take my meds again :confused:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You are seeing the results of a forum search, and for performance reasons search results are limited to the most recent 300 threads or 300 posts (depending on the type of search). At 25 per page, that's 12 pages.

3. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But this was recently changed -- it used to be 20 pages. Unfortunately this change now causes many of the less busy threads to die prematurely.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think the change from 500 (20 pages) to 300 (12 pages) was made last November.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sounds like recently to me. ;)

The change seems to have occurred around the time the servers were overhauled. I'd really be interested to know why it was done.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

no real reason, just defaults.

I upped the #

arn