A favorite movie or TV character/role?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ok, I searched, but didn't see anything like this. If I missed it and this was previously posted then I apologize.

What is one of your favorite movie or television characters/roles? I'm not talking about written literature, but specifically film/television that requires an actor portraying the role. And, I'm not talking about telling us who your favorite actor is. Simply put, what character or role resonated or thoroughly entertained you more than normal and why?

I'll list both a feature film and a television role.

Movie - Doc Holiday played by Val Kilmer in "Tombstone"

I thought Holiday in this version of the Wyatt Earp story was so engaging, fascinating, and entertaining. We got to see the character in a variety of circumstances and in every setting you were drawn to him. Kilmer did a great job with the role and of course the script deserves a lot of the credit.

Television - Dexter played by Michael C. Hall in "Dexter"

If you've watched this show from season one then you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's amazing that you find yourself identifying with and actually "pulling for" a serial killer. The writing is brilliant, especially the running inner monologue and the acting is believable and engaging.

Ok, your turn.

Last edited:

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Dexter is a good one.

For some reason the first one that popped into my mind was Dennis Hopper's character in Blue Velvet ( Frank Booth I believe). I was totally blown away the first time I saw that movie.
Another odd one I really like is Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Everything he says has me in stitches.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Patrick Jane from the TV show The Mentalist played by Simon Baker. I have always wanted the ability to read minds and figure people out like he does.

And Dr. Gregory House from House M.D. played by Hugh Laurie. I love his tell-it-like-it-is attitude.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Ziva David from NCIS by Cote De Pablo. Love her flirty attitude and can kick some butt. :D

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Capt Malcolm Reynolds on 'Firefly' played by Nathan Fillion. Also in the movie 'Serenity'. The realness of a flawed hero and human being. The humour, the tragedy, the reality. Mostly, the humour.

Did anybody see (or even watch) Castle? The Halloween episode had him in his Capt mal costume. Hysterical.

it doesn't hurt that he's Canadian, too.:D

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Another vote for House..he gets to say out loud what on occasion I want to say to patients (but keep inside).

Definitely Denny Crane and Alan Shore from Boston Legal.
I love them! They (especially Denny) are hilarious and do some of the silliest things! I also love them as they also are great at the monologues in court, while being funny, can also show a lot of insight into their character and the case.

King Mook Mook

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Al Bundy. He puts the fun in dysfunctional. I see a lot of me in him, so much so that sometimes watching home movies reminds me of a Married with Children episode.:D
Al was also the first tv person, that came to mind. actually, i hope not to end like him. but does a man have a choice, once he gets married but end like al?
;)

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Dr. Gregory House and Dexter Morgan.

Both are characters that should not be liked for many reasons (arrogant ass/serial killer/etc.) and yet the viewer does like them. Congrats to the writers, Hugh Laurie, and Michael C. Hall for pulling that off.

May 8, 2008
Nathan Muir in 'Spy Game' played by Robert Redford
Roger Sterling in 'Mad Men' played by John Slattery

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
A show I keep coming back to;

A maverick doctor haunted by the demons of his past, who must now fight an everlasting battle with the forces of darkness whilst dealing with the burden of day to day admin. Dagless is an ex-warlock, having renounced the occult in favour of the stability of the medical profession.