A feature Apple really needs to improve on

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The group chat.. I think the chat needs more options.. I know there's a feature to turn off group chats, but what if you could display offline, or not accepting group messages at the time. Also, there's just something about it that annoys me lol, something I can't really out a finger on though. Anyone have any opinions about the group chat?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The group chat.. I think the chat needs more options.. I know there's a feature to turn off group chats, but what if you could display offline, or not accepting group messages at the time. Also, there's just something about it that annoys me lol, something I can't really out a finger on though. Anyone have any opinions about the group chat?
You mean silence mode like WhatsApp has?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Most people have used SMS, most people haven't used instant messaging. Making iMessage more like SMS means it's easier for most people to understand. You're wanting it to be more like instant messaging, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I don't really have the need for group chats (don't do them very often), but when I do it would be nice to have a few more options... It's kept simple which is nice (and appealing) to the eyes, but some added features/details would be cool!

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I just want an option to stop getting notices (sounds/vibrate/popups) on groupd chats for a few hours.

My friends will start a group chat. I'm too busy to chat but my phone is going off every 2 seconds. I need to 'ignore' that particular group chat for a little while.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
the most needed option in my opinion is the ability to add/remove others if your the one who started the conversation, also the ability to remove yourself from the conversation if you were added to it.

.player

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2012
Most people have used SMS, most people haven't used instant messaging. Making iMessage more like SMS means it's easier for most people to understand. You're wanting it to be more like instant messaging, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.
The key to this is understanding how everyone, not just the technically inclined, think about technology.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I really was pleased with iMessage in iOS 5, but Apple really needs to just buy biteSMS. They truly have the perfect SMS solution that would help bridge the gap between "common sense" features that Android offers (or at least natively permits).

They could make it more reliable and also easier for the average user to understand and value.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
where have i been, there's a group chat?????

--update--
h*ly crap, there is one. lol

looks more like group message, like u can group message with SMS.
can't configure to add people once it's set.

Last edited: