A few questions regarding initial Mac setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefan289, Mar 30, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

1. Do I need to install Flash, or does it come with Flash?
    2. Do I need to install Adobe reader in order to view PDFs within Safari? Does it come preinstalled?
    3. Is there any way to set Adobe reader to only be used when opening a PDF in Safari, and use Preview for opening anything else in PDF?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Adobe apps like Reader and Flash don't play well with OS X. A majority of users use Preview instead of Reader, and more and more people are shunning Flash (not just on OS X); I've noticed it's much more cumbersome on a Mac than it is in Windows.

That being said, I'm struggling to understand why someone would prefer a PDF to open in a third-party application for reading within a browser rather than just letting the OS client handle it.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. It is not pre-installed anymore. Apple removed it so you get the most recent version.

2. Safari has its own PDF viewer, I think. No need to install anything.

4. applefan289, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, then how come after I un-installed Adobe Reader from my current Mac, PDFs wouldn't open in Safari (it said it needed a program like Adobe Reader or something).

I actually don't like Adobe Reader, but I thought you needed it to view PDFs within Safari (when it opens a new tab).

EDIT: I just realized I still had an Adobe plugin that was preventing the standard PDF viewer from loading. I deleted that, and now it works fine without Reader.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer