Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
1. Do I need to install Flash, or does it come with Flash?
2. Do I need to install Adobe reader in order to view PDFs within Safari? Does it come preinstalled?
3. Is there any way to set Adobe reader to only be used when opening a PDF in Safari, and use Preview for opening anything else in PDF?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Adobe apps like Reader and Flash don't play well with OS X. A majority of users use Preview instead of Reader, and more and more people are shunning Flash (not just on OS X); I've noticed it's much more cumbersome on a Mac than it is in Windows.

That being said, I'm struggling to understand why someone would prefer a PDF to open in a third-party application for reading within a browser rather than just letting the OS client handle it.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. It is not pre-installed anymore. Apple removed it so you get the most recent version.

2. Safari has its own PDF viewer, I think. No need to install anything.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
1. It is not pre-installed anymore. Apple removed it so you get the most recent version.

2. Safari has its own PDF viewer, I think. No need to install anything.

Oh, then how come after I un-installed Adobe Reader from my current Mac, PDFs wouldn't open in Safari (it said it needed a program like Adobe Reader or something).

I actually don't like Adobe Reader, but I thought you needed it to view PDFs within Safari (when it opens a new tab).

EDIT: I just realized I still had an Adobe plugin that was preventing the standard PDF viewer from loading. I deleted that, and now it works fine without Reader.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.