A First - Im Being Positive!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Intel Inside, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Ive noticed that 99% of the macrumors users moan too much!

So on a different note, i love the new Macbook line-ups. Adding Firewire, SD card slot, Better Screens, Backlit keyboards across the range (exception of the whitebook) And on top of that all, lowering the price!!

Good work Apple, keep it up!

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Actually, for the first time in about a year and a half, I feel like the Apple laptop lineup is not only passible, but competitive. I disagree on labeling a computer without a discrete video card "pro", and I don't think Apple should be removing ports on a "pro" model, but otherwise it's a superb update.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I also really like the current lineup. I think Apple made some good choices and I hope they will make even better ones next time.

FYI, this is the second positive thread in the forum :rolleyes:

4. pufftissue macrumors regular

I think that the most significant thing about the new macbooks are the price cuts and the decision to make the 13" $1199 model a true macbook pro. That should be a runaway best seller for Apple.

It negates the Apple tax in my mind because I think that even frugal buyers understand that a thinner and more well-designed laptop will cost a bit of a premium, but at $1099 with education pricing + a free ipod touch that you can sell, bringing it to about $1000, to me seems to be a very attractive value proposition. I would not call any macbook pro 13" base model owner an extravagant spender. And with the hard drive and ram being user upgradeable without ruining your warranty, these components cost as much or as little as any in the PC world. For me, the thinness just feels like it's a lot easier to carry around and takes up less space in the bag. The premium screen (I hope that it's all that they say it is; my guess is that it's the same screen as the Macbook Air's...still hate the glass), and the large track pack and the backlit keyboard really are the things that I need. The SD card slot is fine although express card would've been more versatile. The long battery life is also a welcome addition. I really missed the trackpad on the apple when I went to the windows machines b/c it was so good that I didn't have to use a mouse anymore. It's with a somewhat begruding acceptance that I tip my hat to Apple. For a picky person, their laptops are the only ones that meet all my criteria.

5. thefrenches macrumors member

Absolutely on the same page here.

I'm a lifetime PC user - my wife converted to MBP (17") a year ago and swears by it, although it's extreme overkill since all she does is web browsing and email (but if I point that out, the sh*t hits the fan!!!).

The new premium netbooks coming out soon were tempting me to stick with PC, and the great deals for the better Dell and Lenovo systems in a smaller, well setup mini-notebook as well. I have been widely impressed with the intuitiveness of my iPhone, so I was willing to go a bit higher for the 'Apple Tax', and when the new MBP was announced in 13", the game was over. My big concern on the 13" uMB was the reports of a bad screen when compared to MBA or MBP - with it being an official Pro, I knew that problem should be taken care of. Add a 7 hour battery life and lower price and I'm on it.

6. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

moan too much? i dunno. moaning is what this forum is generally for, in addition to dishing out help, discussing rumors pertaining to product releases or reporting on quirks.

once in a while you'll get the occasional "fanboy" or "fangirl" profession of their love for apple products which, IMO, is kinda like havin' Richard Simmons trotting into your kitchen yelling," It is a beautiful day! Wheeeeee!" while you're nursing a massive hangover after partying with a platoon of Victoria's Secret models.

7. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I really like this lineup especially the price of the base 15" MBP but I wish it had a discrete gfx card then that would sell like hotcakes.

ChrisN

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just wanted to say: Microsoft tax = A term created by frustrated customers who were forced to pay for a Windows license even when they tried to buy a PC with Linux and didn't want a Windows license at all. Due to Microsoft's monopoly, resellers were forced to buy Windows licenses for _all_ computers they sold, whether Windows was installed or not. And history repeats: Try finding a Netbook that ships with Linux. You can't.

Apple tax = An invention of Microsoft's marketing department. Apple builds great products and sets its prices accordingly. Nobody forces you to pay any "tax". You buy Apple products if you decide that they are worth Apple's prices, and you don't buy them if you decide otherwise. Nobody forces you to pay money to Apple unless you want their products.

9. sm0 macrumors regular

Hi all

Can someone confirm - when they say "better quality display" do they mean the screens of the 13" have improved and are now the same as the first gen unibodies OR all macbook pro unibody screens are now even better than the first gen unibody screens? I would struggle to see how they can improve on it...

cheers

10. magallanes macrumors regular

Since Apple turned into Intel, so it is easy to compare both products (apple and pc).

So, under the same specification and in most cases (about price):
    Apple > PC
    Apple + X = PC or Apple x X = PC

Everyone can guess that the X factor is the named "apple tax". Take note that PC include the "MS tax".

11. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

People were crying foul when the first introduced the 13" MacBook w/o a FireWire port. I guess Apple realized the slight backlash and also the rising popularity of SD cards that they decided to put them into the 13".

People still wondered what significant difference did the 13"MB and 15.4" MBP have even though they had the unibody.

I guess Apple decided to bring them under the Pro lineup...almost reminds me of the old 12" PowerBook.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I belong to several Hobby Related and Brand Specific Forums. ( Motorcycle / Photography / Welding / Hunting )

What I have found out is this ... If you are having trouble with gear / techniques an online Forum is THE BEST place to get answers quickly. This is why the forums are here. In that light I believe the Forums will have more 'moaning' as you put it as most others have come to use the forums as a place to get help.

This is why you will see more 'moaning' as you put it on these types of venues.

On one motorcycle forum 99% of the posts are about problems, now if I posted the URL for that forum you'd probably never buy that brand of bike. :lol: However in the case of those motorcycles, you'll also see over time that the people with the most problems are the people who modify/wrench on their own bikes.

In the past I had posted some good BAD threads to lighten up the mood a bit.

One example is my " I HATE MY NEW UMBP " thread, in the OP I described how I hated it because....

As hard as I tried, I could not find anything negative about it to complain about on here!!!!!!!
    :D :D :D

Remember for every person that comes here seeking help or to vent, there are many many more satisfied users out there just working along fine on their computers!!!!!

13. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I;m confused. :confused:

There are plenty of netbooks out there with Linux downloaded as its primary OS.