A first-timers thoughts of his new 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mehanika, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mehanika Guest

Okay, so i finally got my MacBook Pro 13inch i5 with a 500 gb harddrive. I just wanted to share some thoughts. Not sure who will find it usefull (if any?), regardless...here it comes.

- Package.
    Package was good looking. Compared to my 2010 Lenovo, it was just of a whole other dimension. The inside of the box was good looking, the setup was logic, simple and securely locked into position.

- Start-Up.
    Start-up was smooth. Easy setup, seems alot like Windows 7, no biggie. The information regarding my Apple account seemed odd, the only thing i have figured they used it for, was to send me a "welcome" e-mail.

- The computer itself.
    Keyboard is pretty sturdy, the buttons has a pretty tight sponge to them - and i came from a Lenovo Edge, so i was indeed surprised. I can imagine that some would find them too hard to push. Screen is lovely. The fullsceen glass, gives a very nice look to it. The overall build is sturdy, yet heavy. I'm still having a hard time figuring out, how they managed to make the laptop, this heavy. The edges are sharp, so sharp i actually have to lift my hands from the palmrest areas, when typing this - thats a bad choice of design, compared between use and formfactor.

- Setup.
    First time trying to install something, have hardly any idea what the hell to do. Apparently the program just asks me to drag a icon 5 cm across the screen to a folder - no idea what the hell it means, but it works. Get other downloads, where there are no help, so i figure to double tap it... does not work, drag it to the application folder (seemed logic) - WORKS! However, its random you can install applications in different ways, i wish they would make it more logic - in terms of "one" way to do it.

- Programs.
    Opening my browser. Damn this 2,3,4-finger swipe is amazing, i would change to Mac, just for this! Annoyed by the programs will not fit the whole page, dragging the corner to fill it out, get Windows 93 flashbacks, yuk...
    Tries out some music, wow - the build-on soundcard must be of some standard, cause its actually sounding better than any laptop i've tried (Still want to hear the HP Beats). Had to change some settings, had a hard time finding the Settings, but managed after using google, that seemed necessary hard.

- Shortcuts.
    Doing @ is a pain. Not only is it hard to change the way, but also the two buttons required, does not seem very logic. Quitting programs with cmd + q and such are sweet. Not only are they convient to use with one hand, they are also pretty easy to guess - Approved! Having the F-buttons having macro-bindings as standard is nice. I thought i was going to miss this out from my Lenovo, but guess not!

- Battery.
    Seems to be fine, lasts as long as told and expect. Some had over 7 hours, but mine seems to be 7 hours with nothing running, its fine.

- Heat.
    After reading alo to posts and comments regarding heat problems i was sure to check this out, as some of the first. Temperture is about 50-60 C, when doing interwebs stuff. Follows quickly the scale of what i am doing, same goes with the fan. Tried to load Starcraft 2, it turned into a freaking powertool..Very loud (Too loud?). Quitting the program, and it fell fast back to the 50-60 c. Yet, i have not had any trouble with hot keyboard or of the surface you touch.

Questions, comments? Post 'em! :)

2. TomCondon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mac does take a *little* bit to get used to, installing apps etc

Glad you like your new laptop

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Use the help feature when you run into questions of how to do certain things. Right-clicking on stuff is useful too - you've figured out how to do that, right? I prefer the 2 finger on trackpad then click method myself.

Install a fan controller (SMC) to help you manage your temps, and I use iStat just because it's fun to see all of the data on what's happening with my computer.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can go in for personal help on how to do all kinds of things, and it is free.

Also, I believe the questions about your Apple account are to register the computer to you. Could be wrong about that, though.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

the Apple account is the one you will use for iTunes as well, and when making genius appointments (if you need them) you can log into your account to make things "quicker"..your name will automatically come up.

As far as the programs go when installing them, make sure that they are not "mounted". You can check either on the desktop or on your sidebar in finder.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah you kind of get used to how apps are "installed" meaning most don't use the standard installing interface that is seen in Windows. If the application installer is well packaged, often there is a shortcut to your application folder where you drag the app into and bam, done. Others you have to manually drag to your application folders. Then if it's a brown package icon those are usually installer packages that go through a Wizard/UI to install. So you'll find that sometimes you'll have actual applications in your downloads folder that you'll want to drag to your applications folders.

Also one of my noob issues I remember was how everything I clicked from the internet often downloaded automatically to the downloads folder. I wasn't used to this, but now I find myself clearing my D/L folder often and when I click something to look at the downloads folder for it. If you have it on the dock you can see if something was recently added into that folder. Enjoy!!

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

hehe .. From about the time of WinXP until now, I had hardly touched a windows computer - do all my work with OS X and Linux. When I first had to do some work on Win7, first thought was "they sure are trying hard to make this look and feel like OS X", only I get much more frustrated working with Win7.

My edges seemed really sharp when I first got mine (it's a 2010 MBP), but now almost a year later, they don't feel so sharp anymore. I guess the handling kind of wore down the edges.

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

What's amazing is the packaging isn't even as good as it used to be. It's even more minimalist now, but still very nice.

They feel okay to me. Not nearly as bad as my old plastic MacBook. Those edges were harsh.

Most programs come in a .dmg (disk image), which you unpack and the see the .app application package. If it's a conscientious developer, he or she will have put an alias to your ~/Applications directory for you, so you only have to drag it to inside the .dmg. Otherwise, just drag it to your ~/Applications folder yourself. The latter will always work. The former is just the app developer adding a little convenience.

A few applications do use an actual Installer.app, but not very many.

Doing @? Is yours an international keyboard? For me it's just shift + 2 like any other US keyboard.

Yeah, I love Apple's shortcuts. Usually much simpler, IMO.

8. matt15f macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

How well does the 13 game? I'm assuming it can handle older games like half life2/ cs source but probably not do well with newer games?

9. Dimemaker macrumors newbie

Love it

I am loving my 13"

I find things just work. Ill give a for instance. I have a shared network printer though my wireless network. Mac did a quick search for it and found it connected and voila it was printing. No searching for drivers, it just worked.

Love the multi gesture on the trackpad.

Only thing that is hard it the smaller resolution but im coming down from a huge 8 pound 17 in laptop so It kind of makes sense there would be some pain in it.

Gaming wise, With bootcamped windows 7 I installed steam and tried out Victoria II. Plays the game without a hiccup.

10. djxavier macrumors newbie

Look for an app called "RightZoom"

11. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Welcome to the Mac family!

I remember when I got my MacBook Pro, I was very impressed by the packaging and the overall quality of the computer itself. Then, I discovered inertial scrolling which to this day I'm still absolutely in love with. Such a great experience.

As for HP's Beats Audio, I've personally found it to be quite underwhelming and it leaves a lot to be desired - played with it on an HP Envy 14 where the bass was non-existant and everything had a very tinny sound to it and on a Pavilion dv7 where the sound was quite muddy but not as bad as the Envy.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new computer, I'm sure you'll do so for years to come! :)

12. vettefanZR1 macrumors newbie

I also am new to Apple products. I have had my 13" MBP for a week and I cannot imagine going back. I still have some problems figuring out where files go when I put them on my computer and stuff. I agree with the above poster about the track pad. It is almost worth the switch by itself. Add to that the smoothest operating system. With everything I've read about Apple service, you can bet I'm thrilled about my conversion decision.

13. MrVinney96 macrumors member

OK.

if you want those sharp edges to go away, use some sandpaper to scrub it of (thats what she said).

14. Andy2011 macrumors newbie

The shift + 2 for @ is something that is actually pretty frustrating, when it should be shift + ' on a UK model like any other laptop / keyboard. Ah well, I'll get used to it though

15. mehanika thread starter Guest

Hey guys,

Thanks for the many inputs!

My keyboard layout is danish, but im having a hard time understanding why this should make such a big diffrence. To do @, i need to pust alt and the button next to "Enter" (Im on my iPhone so dont have the exact name). As you can figure, this above average oddness!

Im glad the sharpness of the edge will soothen out over time! Phew!

Regarding gaming, then yes, it does run TF2 just fine. Noisy however, but fine.
    I came to realise something when buying this laptop: Gaming should stay on stationary-pc's - its where they belong. The prices you pay for a gaming laptop is absurd, compared to how long your money goes if the formfactors are 3.5" :)
    Sure, some will just have one computer, but thats another scenario!

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Glad you like it. The program installation you'll get used to eventually. You're basically just copying the program from the disk image to the hard drive. Welcome aboard.

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I'm thinking about picking mine up soon. It's nice to read someone else's first thoughts.

18. selvage macrumors member

i've been thinking about getting a mac for a while now. i finally picked up my first mac this week (13" i5). I had really high expectations from everything i read and how diehard apple owners are. well after using it for a few days it converting over from windows definitely doesn't live up to the hype. it looks good but the design is several years old and everywhere i look i see the same computer in everyone's hands. sometimes its nice to have something different. the screen isnt as sharp as i was expecting it to be. i thought i wouldnt mind the resolution but i wish it was higher (15" mpb is too big for me, 13" MBA is too puny for me). OSX is cool but not life changing. it sucks that you get a basic hardrive for the price (i was planning on replacing of course). i do like the fact that this machine will probably last me for sometime. i love the touchpad. buttonless touchpads on windows machines have all let me down. battery life is awesome. the build quality is great. i like the resale value that macs have too. unfortunately when/if they redesign the body style next year that will hurt the resale value of mine. im debating if im going to return it or not (i think i can still return opened computers within 14days back to apple). i think maybe i should wait until they improve the 13" just a tiny bit more. Maybe i should get an Ipad in the mean time :).

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Goodluck.

20. kushed macrumors regular

how do you iike the backlit keys? i will never own another computer without them!