Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
I also use Transmission - except for the part where my ISP came to my house with printouts of my data usage and telling me to cease and desist because I was slowing down the Internet for everyone in my county

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
I also use Transmission - except for the part where my ISP came to my house with printouts of my data usage and telling me to cease and desist because I was slowing down the Internet for everyone in my county

lol i got called because apperently i downloaded more than 60gb in a month and my internet is on a stupid server crappy shaw.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Personally, I like Vuze; unfortunately, it doesn't offer selective downloads anymore-i.e. I have to download everything. Also, for some reason, when I open downloaded music in iTunes, it will say the file cannot be found; therefore, I use uTorrent for all my music. uTorrent is Windows only, though. However, it has one of the best interfaces I've ever seen, which makes up for it's shortcomings.

For a torrent site, I second The Pirate Bay. If I can't find something there (unlikely, since it's a gigantic site) or I want more seeds, I go to btjunkie. If that fails, I google the name of the torrent I want and add "torrent" to the search.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
I used Azureus when I first switched to Mac OS X, but it's written in Java and thus extremely slow to do anything. When allocating disk space for a large file it seems to hang (it's really just writing a bunch of zeroes to the disk; why it pre-allocates I don't know). Transmission has most of the features of Azureus but without that Vuze crap.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I have heard bad things about Azures.
Not much about Transmission so I suggest you use that.

Is XTorrent just like a Mac version of uTorrent?

And what the other posters said, about Mininova and ThePirateBay I have to go and agree with them.
Those are really good torrent sites, I use them to download legal versions of movie scrips so I can read them. *winks*

[EDIT]

Is that true?!
Did that really happen!?
[/EDIT]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.