A little help to go from Att to Verizon Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Jun 21, 2011.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

All, im thinking of getting the Verizon iphone to lock in the unlimited data and ditch my ATT. My question is how can i restore from my Att backup to my Verizon model ? The Verizon iphone has a older firmware so im sure this is not possible ?
    Is it possible to downgrade my ATT from 4.3.3 to the same version that Verizon is on to preserve my backup ?

Thanks, let me know if you all have any other suggestions.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Of course it's possible. How do you think people back up every time a firmware update is released?

3. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

So your saying all i have to do is restore from back up with my Verizon Iphone and i should have no issue ? I thought since Verizon is on a older firmware it would get some sort of error.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why wouldn't you just upgrade your Verizon phone to the latest version? Not that it matters.....

5. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

i can, i thought that Verizon and ATT were not on the same 4.3.3 yet.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I understand where the OP is coming from since you restore from a backup if the backup is a newer version.

However, I think you'll be fine if you make sure the Verizon and AT&T iPhone are runnign the lateast version

7. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Great, thanks ill try that. i did not know that they both used the same version already.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They don't, but I mean download the latest version for your AT&T iPhone (4.3.3) and the latest version for the Verizon one (4.2.8?) and then transfer the backups.

9. aaTRON macrumors newbie

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It sucks that Apple wouldn't make the 4.2.8 firmware equal to 4.3.3 for backup purposes.

11. dickdaney macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me. Itunes would only restore from my old 4.2.x 3gs file that was 4 months old.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You have a vaid concern, I don't know why people think it can simply just be done. I'm pretty sure you would not be able to restore from backup which is not a huge deal, you would just lose all of your progress on games.

13. tdar macrumors 6502a

When I got my Verizon iPhone in February, I restored it from the backup of my ATT iPhone 3G and all went perfect. It then synced the apps and all was fine.

14. dickdaney macrumors regular

4.3 wasn't released until March, that's why everything worked for you.

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Exactly. When I purchased my Verizon iPhone last week, and connected it to iTunes, my 4.3.3 back-up from my AT&T iPhone 4 was not available as a restore option, so I had to set it up as a new phone. It wasn't that big of deal (for me anyway). But I can see how I can pose a problem for some people - especially if they store a lot of content on their iPhone (music, apps, photo's, videos, etc.).

16. skcrane macrumors member

yeah I just changed our phones from att to verizon for the unlimited data and so all my family could be on the same plan to save money. We will see I am hoping for just a speed bump iphone 5. If it gets lte iphone 5 verizon then I will sell these for the iphone 5 otherwise the iphone 4 is a good phone. Yeah I was bummed when I could not restore from my att backup. I called apple and they said it was because of the 4.2.8 verizon to 4.3.3 att you can not go down to restore only go up. in other words verizon has to issue a 4.3.3 update or maybe even a 4.3 would suffice for it to be restored. I can also do it when ios 5 comes out in fall as well I have kept the back up just in case.

17. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

When I switched last Sunday, my AT&T iPhone was still at 4.0.something, so I was able to restore from my AT&T backup. I guess I never thought of this as being a problem for people with 4.3.3. That's unfortunate.

18. jeejeebu macrumors regular

It's a bit of a bigger deal than progress on games. I've lost all of my settings. All of my apps were nicely arranged and now I have 8 pages of them. I have lost all of my texts. None of my photos will be on my new iPhone. I have to go through iTunes and recheck all of the artists I want to carry with me.

I think this is a very big deal, and I'm actually considering jailbreaking my AT&T phone, so I can downgrade and sync.