A Little Irritated

Discussion in 'iPad' started by calilove, Mar 18, 2012.

1. calilove macrumors member

So, my new iPad has a visible led back light, this causes the infamous red/pink tint on the upper left hand corner.

Called apple care (i did not purchase any type of warranty), and they tried to tell me that it was the glue on the digitizer, which they are claiming officially now causes yellow screens.

I repeated myself 5 different times that I could physically see the led back light, and it was causing a red or pink tint at normal viewing angles. The guy then asks me to confirm the carrier identification serial number, I repeated that I had a wifi only, he insisted that I had a 4g, after several minutes he admitted defeat.

I then got a repair ID, could not get them to put the hold on my account and overnight a new one, instead since I am not an applecare subscriber, I have to wait 10 days to get another iPad. This is ridiculous, in my mind, I was shipped an iPad with a major issues and I have to suffer because I did not pay an extra $100.

They would also not send me a shipping label so I could drop it off in a drop box next to my house, instead they were adamant about me going to my closest ups store, which is a half hour away, and always busy. They tried telling me this was a better option because I could just hand them the iPad and not worry about packaging it myself, I was hot at this point and they gave not a **** in the world.

Needless to say if the next one is not perfect, I will get a refund and wait and see if they get their **** together.

Now that I am done ranting, information that I found out was apple is now confirming glue issues causing yellow tinting and it seems that having a visible back light causes the red tint that some people are reporting.

BTW I love the new Ipad, it is fantastic, if it ever arrives to me in decent condition. I went through 3 iPad 2's which suffered from horrible back light bleed (not minor like a lot of people like to complain about).

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Is there an Apple store near you? If so you can take it there and get a replacement...

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Apple store would also be my first choice.

You are right that overnighting a replacement Before receiving the defective one is Only a benefit of Applecare.

Another strong argument for Applecare over other third party warranties.

Sounds like you had major screen issues with your old iPad 2 and I hope you have better success with the new iPad.

4. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have had a total of for iPads in my home and not one of them had any backlight bleed or any other issues.but then again I did not look for defects.I guess if I looked I may have found some.when I hear people complaining and they state that they went though a few prior iPads it makes me laugh.I can only imagine those same people buying a car

5. calilove thread starter macrumors member

This is not normal back light bleeding, this is an exposed back light, I can literally see white led light and the actual led bulb under the bezel, which causes a screen defect.

The backlight bleeding on my iPad 2's was easily noticeable at 40 percent brightness and at 100 percent brightness made the entire left hand side of the screen completely brown, I brought it back to a local apple retailer and they said that it was the worst they had ever seen, and it was clearly defective.

I am just a little irritated that I am calling customer service (which is suppose to be best in the industry) and I have a clearly defective iPad, and at the same time they are trying to up sell me on an extended warranty, what sane individual would shell out an extra $100 dollars when they are severely disappointed with the device, kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I think they could of also sent me a shipping label so I could drop it off in a drop box (10 minutes from my house) instead of go into a busy store (30 minutes from my house), but they adamantly refused.

I do not have a real apple store anywhere near me, I have a certified seller of apple products, but they send the iPad to apple like other resellers.

And I have bought cars, a damaged screen on an iPad would be the same as a defective motor in a car, the screen is the most important part of the iPad and the motor is the most important part of a car. Would you buy a brand new car with a defective motor? Didn't think so.

6. emaja macrumors 68000

I know you're mad - and rightfully so - but by the time you posted this thread and your additional response you could have driven to the store and driven back and be enjoying your new iPad.

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I agree take it in to the store to exchange. they can do that right there on the spot. If they have them in stock.

Edit: and if they don't have it in stock, it has been less than 14 days, they will take a return at the apple store, and you can get another from somewhere else.

8. calilove thread starter macrumors member

The closest true apple store to me is in chicago, which is 180 minutes away from me and would cost me 75 dollars in fuel to reach, I have a computer shop that sells apple products that will not exchange, they will only ship the iPad to apple to have it fixed or deemed replaceable.

CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF: People do not all live in large metropolitan areas.

Maybe you guys could tell me if best buy or another big name retailer would take my iPad that I pre ordered on apples website, and swap me a new one?

My local best buy does have a bar dedicated to apple, do they take iPad's that are not bought there back?

9. iEvolution macrumors 65816

If you buy it from apple, apple is the only place you can go. Your serial number is tied to Apple.

10. Justin Luck macrumors regular

The two problems you mention might be coincidental. I don't see any light leak when observing it in a dark room, but I do have a yellow/pink splotch on the lower left corner of my screen.

11. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Your scenario is exactly what happens when so many complain about trivial (BS) light leaks. Then when someone has a legitimate issue, Apple has to be cautious. I would not be hating on apple, rather, to all of the self-centered DH out there that cried wolf.

That said, find me one manufacturer whose support and warranty service comes even close to apple. I have a long list of manufacturers who took weeks and I had to pay the postage to them.

To anyone who is on the bench about applecare, this example is exactly why you should get it. Heck, I shipped an iphone off Monday, had it back by Wednesday morning. Apple is not making money on this either, as to get it there alone cost apple $60.

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I'm confused here. What does AppleCare have anything to do with a defective product? They don't treat everyone equal within a 90 day window, or 3 day such as this?

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's very easy for people to sit back & be critical of someone who's not happy with their new iPad. They all act like experts without even seeing the iPad in question. If the tables were turned, I bet it'd be different.

Out of the three new iPads I just received, two were just fine. The third one's display was so yellow I was shocked. Luckily I live just a few miles from an Apple store. One quick look and the genius was as surprised as I was.

The first replacement he brought out came out of the box yellow as well. The second one he carried out was fine. It may be as simple as Apple not being able to maintain quality due to the pressure on Foxconn to build so many in a very short period of time.

14. calilove thread starter macrumors member

You are a second class citizen my friend, unless you pay $100 dollars for better service.

My whole point of the thread, I even said I love the new iPad, apple customer service is not what I thought it was.

I buy from Newegg all the time and they are very accommodating and are willing to work on a resolution, apple is not.

15. calilove thread starter macrumors member

THIS IS NOT WARRANTY WORK, THIS IS A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT. Everything I buy that is shipped to me broken has always been replaced expediently.

Within the first 15 days of their return policy, I should be treated as a member of apple care +++++. I received a defective product and should not be punished because of it.

Are you happy with your logic, you are telling people that they should pay $100 dollars so they can get immediate service if they receive a broken device. People should not be punished by receiving broken devices.

16. aka777, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

aka777 macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Send it back and go buy something else. There is a rational reason for B&M stores too after all.

I've seen many others bend over backwards for douchebags over the years, only to end up with a loss. Whereas, I've never wasted time for any irrational and unreasonable clients and often told such tools to not let the door hit them on the way out.

It's a win win actually, as it allows me to focus on genuine customers, than waste time and energy with narcissistic entitled egomaniacs barking orders. Moreover, more often than not, I find the biggest tightwads are the most demanding.

17. calilove thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you on people who nitpick something that is within acceptable tolerances or margin of error.

Not when you receive something that is defective, like seeing a strip of led's at the edge of the bezel.

I am talking about this

[​IMG]

not this

[​IMG]

These are not my images, just demonstrating

The strip of exposed led causes a red spot the size of a playing card, clearly defective, not within tolerance or limit of edge lighting technology

18. aka777 macrumors 6502a

I 100% understand your issue and agree they need to fix it for you.

I just don't agree that it should be platinum express overnight when you have not paid for that level of service.

The easiest thing you can do actually is return it for a full refund and just order another one. Problem solved..

19. danielxute macrumors member

I know how you feel. The guy i talked to was being the same way. Mine came with a dent and I called and the guy said I have to send it in and I had to wait 2-3 weeks for a new one. I asked if i could just go to the apple store and trade it but he said "no, they are both completely different companies pretty much and you cant return online stuff there" I know that is not true. So now i have to go UPS and return it. I already bought another one at the apple store. Anybody know if i can just return it at the apple store even though he already sent me the return stuff?

20. calilove thread starter macrumors member

Found another user on this forum that has the exact same red crap I do.

[​IMG]

21. calilove thread starter macrumors member

I get that service at the apple store, if I had one. If you are within the 15 day window they exchange once the problem is identified.

The online store should be the same way, it is the cost of doing business for a company like apple to give me overnight or 2 day shipping on a broken product, or they could just put the hold on my account and ship a new one, why is that a premium service, it is only premium because they want you to pay $100 for it.

The guy tried to sell me applecare+ 3 times, that is obnoxious and unprofessional. I do not want an up sell when I have a crappy product in hand.

Hypothetical:

I buy a TV from Newegg, I get the TV and it is broken.

I call Newegg and they tell me that I can get a replacement in 10 days.

Or if I pay $100 right now I get super duper insurance and I could have it the day after tomorrow.

Do you not see how that is condescending and predatory, almost premeditated.

I think apple does a fantastic job on their warranty work, being able to walk into a store and get an exchange a year after purchase is great. That is not the same thing we are talking about though.

Most tech companies have tiers of returns and warranty

15/30 day defective unit exchange/return
    1 year manufacturer warranty (send in wait for repair or replacement)
    extended warranty for x amount of years.

What extended warranty usually means in my experiences with reputable companies is this, you get an extension of the first 15 day period style warranty, which means immediate replacement and repair.

Apple lets you know, on the telephone, that you are not a priority unless you pay $100, which made me want to vomit.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't get why you are crying so much. Your iPad is defective so return it and buy a new one.

23. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

To add on, if you had apple care I wonder if the replacement would of counted as one of your three strikes.?

24. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I'm at a loss here. You have to know that the website lists shipping time of 2-3 weeks, the fact that they can turn around a warranty replacement in 10 days should be a good thing based on the tight supply. Prepaid waybills are a feature of the costlier AppleCare plus support package and there is no guarntee that they would get the replacement any sooner than you would.

My only complaint would be the fact that they are using the UPS store for return shipping, they might as well be shooting it out a cannon. Make sure to get a receipt.

25. emaja macrumors 68000

According to the post I quoted, you said the store was 30 minutes away. 180 minutes does make a difference. Sorry.