A little pissed... (didn't get corporate discount)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BIrwin49, Mar 26, 2008.

1. BIrwin49 macrumors member

So my girlfriend and I both have an iPhone and we both have a corporate discount we use. So here comes the bill and we find out that with the iPhone plan, you’re not allowed a corporate discount and saw my bill with the $39.99 plan and the unlimited data $40 is about $93 bucks a month. I am not sure I want to pay that monthly. I love the iPhone, but not sure if I love it $100 dollars a month worth.

My question is, we were never told we couldn’t get our corporate discount (AT&T’s fault. Why would I ask that question if I didn’t think it would matter?) it’s too late to take the phone back for both of us, plus I would have to pay a restocking fee.

So I am thinking of a few options, go in and argue and see what they can do. Maybe get our plans together? Not sure how it works with the iPhone and not sure how much it would be and since we both signed new contracts when we got the phone not sure if we would have to pay a fee or go in argue, say we want a refund will not pay a restocking fee as it was their fault for not telling us the information.

2. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I thought AT&T's sales blurb and documentation made it pretty clear that corporate discounts wouldn't apply?

3. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Sure man, go argue maybe they cancel you without any penalties. Try and try if they dont allow it then pay the penalty fee if its worth or sick to the 100$ contract for 2 years. also if you gonna pay the penalty fee do it the sooner and is better for you since you are starting a contract is not like is almost ending.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unlimited Data is $20. Call at&t and have them adjust that. You can easily have your two contracts combined into a single family plan. As you are not leaving at&t a cancelation fee would not apply.

For both of you it would be $119, or individually, it would be $59.99 a month each.

TEG

5. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

6. BIrwin49 thread starter macrumors member

Is it? Could be and that's my fault . But I asked the guy who sold me the phone how much a month my bill would be with my discount and he said $74 (and some change, which it was the first month, my girlfriends didn't have hers on it)
    I thought it was $40? So we could get on a plan with unlimited data and depending on the minutes for like $119 a month?

Seems like he did ... lol

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, just like TEG said...

You could combine the accounts into one Family Plan without penalty. We found out the hard way as well, regarding our "corporate account discount" and our iPhones, but we still get the discount on other non-iPhone phones and accessories. Maybe $79.99 could be worked out by AT&T to accommodate both iPhones on the same Family Plan, throw that "bone" to them and see if they'll bite! Good Luck. :cool:

8. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Birwin, just one thing. Before going to argue research allt his very well all the plans, also the ones that applies iphone and go personally and deal with this. Teg must be right but i tell you this because those at&t bastards put any excuse to avoid giving you the right things, just research and battle your way out and in any case if teg is right and they dont seem helpful you can always rely they missinformed you with the best deals and that may cancel your current contract.

9. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

You should definitely complain then.

10. kg9ov macrumors member

$39.99 voice plan + $20.00 data+200 sms is the "correct" plan. The bill should come out somewhere around $70 after taxes, etc.

As far as the corp. discount, when I activated mine there was a click through in iTunes that said the discount would no longer apply. Maybe that has changed though... I did mine on the day it came out...

-Tony

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP where did you buy your iPhones?

If you bought them at the Apple Store, then you would be instructed to sign up with iTunes. If you bought them at the AT&T Store, then you also would have signed up with iTunes, but they would have been more informative about the corporate discount not being applicable to the iPhones or its' accessories. :confused:

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Definitely get your data rate adjusted!

IIRC, I thought when you signed up via iTunes it gave a message about your corp discount being cancelled due to the iPhone plan. Sounds like somehow AT&T didnt update your account properly at all.

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

This happened to me and I was like WTF? I just called At&t and they credited my account $50 - not bad.

14. cpatch macrumors member

If you and your girlfriend text each other you may also want to consider adding the $5/month (per phone) unlimited in-network texting plan. Otherwise getting a family plan with the two phones should run you around $120 a month. (Of course, make sure you agree ahead of time on what you'll do with her phone if the two of you break up!)

Craig

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

at&t will work with you to solve this problem if you call them. They are very accomadating, and have found that when they cause the problem that they will fix it and give you a credit for the mistake (if you have already paid for it).

TEG

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, AT&T has some really weird rates for corporate iPhone data plans.

Looks like the regular price for just data is $45, and they're doing a "limited time" $25/month discount?

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/iphone/

Attached Files:

17. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

18. adamjay79 macrumors newbie

ATT has made it very clear when activating in itunes and in the terms of service that corporate discounts are all removed when you get an iphone. Additionally, when you activate and iphone on your line it electronically codes your account and you CANNOT get the discount reapplied if you get rid of your iphone.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Do hundreds of people who buy iPhones not do ANY research into AT&T plans before signing up? Between this answer having to come up (AT&T advertises this pretty hard) and the bitching about coverage (check their coverage maps first, dammit!) it's a wonder some people can figure out how to turn an iPhone on.

20. BIrwin49 thread starter macrumors member

We went in today and they didn't even mention the $59.99 plan (it's 550 daytime unlimited nights and weekends, which will be plenty since most people we talk to are with AT&T) we got unlimited texts for $30 and the data plan for $20 each. Instead of our bill being almost a $100 (each) a month, it should be right around 80 bucks (each) or 160 or so after taxes give or take a few. I can deal with that...

Thanks for all the help.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I forgot to mention that people who work at the AT&T stores aren't exactly as knowledgable as the Apple Store people. Sometimes I think they don't know that Cingular, BellSouth, and AT&T merged yet. When we all ordered the refurbs last week, we got "your iPhone is on back order" e-mails before getting "your iPhone has shipped" e-mails about 2 hours later.

Get an iPhone and look at AT&T's Web site while shopping there. :)

22. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

The coverage maps are not that good. I see full coverage on the map in places that I am lucky to get one bar. They are assuming that there are no trees/houses in the way of anything on their maps.

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The coverage maps seem pretty accurate...

around my house for both the "Orange" and "Blue 3G" which equals MODERATE. I live next to the San Francisco Bay, and I get full bars at the top of my street/road, but when I pull into the driveway of my house (which just happens to be in a gully, valley or dip), my iPhone get 2-3 bars! I find myself looking for houses next to the water on the basis that my iPhone have FULL BARS, (sick isn't it?). :eek:

24. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

No, the AT&T reps either lie or are not trained properly. I called AT&T the day before I bought my iphone and asked if my corp discount would apply. The rep said yes, so I confirmed by asking again and he said yes again. When I log into my account, my company's corp number is on the page, but when the bills come, they are full price. Called to complain and managed to get $20 out of them. I love the iphone but don't appreciate being given misinformation. Guess they are just as underhanded as every other phone company, though.

25. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The way around the corporate rate plan discount is to have a family plan and make sure the primary number is not an iPhone. We have a family plan with 3 lines on it, 2 iPhones and one cheap phone that we ported our land line number to. I use that line as the primary so the discounting piece of their billing system doesn't see an iPhone first and I get my discount every month on my bill, and have been since June. Multiple AT&T employees also said it's a way around it. So if your discount will be more than $10/month, just add a 3rd line for $9.99 and use that as the primary line on the account. My total bill is a little over $100/month for 3 phones, 2 of which are iPhones.