Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I have a few posts on here about my dead pixels and have had 12 different iPads from 2 different apple stores.... They have all had some kind of defect and I have finally got one that I'm happy with even thought it has a dead pixel.... If you can see a dead pixel easily then it is more than likely 2 or 3 together (I have had this) but I have also had single dead pixels (like my current ipad) which are very hard to spot, and cannot be seen with normal use, you have to look hard for them..... My advise (which has now changed) is: your never gonna get a perfect iPad so just enjoy it like I am now instead of stressing over little things like I did....

simba2585

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I have a few posts on here about my dead pixels and have had 12 different iPads from 2 different apple stores.... They have all had some kind of defect and I have finally got one that I'm happy with even thought it has a dead pixel.... If you can see a dead pixel easily then it is more than likely 2 or 3 together (I have had this) but I have also had single dead pixels (like my current ipad) which are very hard to spot, and cannot be seen with normal use, you have to look hard for them..... My advise (which has now changed) is: your never gonna get a perfect iPad so just enjoy it like I am now instead of stressing over little things like I did....

its a shame a premium product like this is allowed to have dead pixels - i think you made right choice in the end.

its not worth stressing over.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You went to and left the apple store 12 times??????

I am just dumbfounded by this and others who report 6 to 12 echanges.

Why can't you inspect these devices in the store before you leave?

Is there something I am missing?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

No. Your not missing anything. The guy is crazy. This is the new forum, welcome :)

note: They need to make sub forums to discuss purely mental issues. That would help.

Also, pretty soon the advertisers here will change from purely tech stuff, to some med stuff mixed in. Maybe we can have group buys for meds, or coupons, etc. Frankly, i'm excited :)

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

You need to seek help. I doubt you will ever be able to relax and enjoy. It is just an iPad. There are more important things in life.

Good luck.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Yes there is something you're missing (and it's not you're fault).

Apple has a long history of hyping products to unreasonable, astronomical levels. When a company spends years brainwashing the public about their "Magical & Revolutionary" Powers... well you get the picture.

Fueled even further by an outrageously liberal return policy, things get out of control fast. Apple sucks the OCD types in, then drives them crazy as the reality hits, that even Apple cannot live up to their own self crafted image.

Fleet would mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
its a shame a premium product like this is allowed to have dead pixels
I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand, it is of course correct to say that the iPad is a premium product.

On the other hand, however, Apple are obviously getting these retina displays at what I would consider to be a rock bottom price. Indeed, before all this talk about the use of a retina display for the new iPad started, I was under the impression (based on past experience) that any display with this sort of resolution would no doubt cost more than even the most expensive iPad costs today. There have been several ultra high resolution displays in the past and they have all cost a small fortune. Even today, the brand new Eizo 4K display (FDH3601, 4096 * 2160 pixels) has already been released in Japan with a price tag of around 35,000 dollars. :eek: On the basis of such prices, one can assume that the manufacture of such displays is still very difficult and/or the yields are still low. So it doesn't surprise me in the least to hear that the variance on the new retina displays is somewhat higher than on traditional displays. It's a question of where to set the QC bar. Raise the bar too high and the yields plummet, pushing up the price astronomically. Lower the bar too much, and even Joe Average will find the display quality unacceptable. So, when the inevitable compromise needs to be found, we just need to remember that we're actually not paying a premium price for such a display. Indeed, in relative terms, we're paying a pittance... :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think that either the OP has a minor mental health issue and is seeing defects that aren't there OR he is having a little fun getting people riled up.

It's just not possible that 12 iPads in a row would have defects. I'm still on my first iPad and I can't find any screen defects and I don't have impaired vision in any way--don't even wear glasses.

Choicy

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Yes, it's a hassle to drive to and from the Apple store to replace new ipads but it's something you have to do in order to get a "perfect" ipad. I've personally have done this. It's really a shame that we have to do this for a product that we drop at least $500 on. Sure, people say stuff along the lines of "move on with your life, enjoy it for what it is, etc..." but why should we when we're spending that kind of money on a electronic device with faulty screens. I will still never understand how Apple could screw up this bad.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Let me tell you a little story.

When the iPad first came out and was an awesome exciting new thing, a guy called 0dev drove 30 miles to an Apple Store and picked up one for over £500. Happy with his purchase, he spent a lot of time downloading apps and playing about with everything.

However, while he was watching a movie in a dark room he noticed a stuck pixel which was always blue. He wondered what he could do about this horrible tragedy. His iPad worked perfectly and made him happy but there was a tiny blue dot on the screen.

So do you know what he did? He ignored that dot and kept on enjoying his perfectly fine iPad ;)

The moral of the story is that any display can be expected to have one or two dead or stuck pixels. That's how mass manufacturing works. If you have a cluster or a bunch of dead of pixels around your screen, then certainly take that ****** back, but if you've got one or two then enjoy your gadget and get on with your life :)

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
A long story? Really? Maybe I am being OCD myself, but one poorly written paragraph is not really a long story. 0dev's was longer. :p

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Thx for the story, 0dev. I like that calm approach.

I just would like to add that the screen of my iPad is absolutely perfect. And so are the screens of my friend's iPads. I haven't met anyone with a less than perfect screen so far. :)

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
It's just not possible that 12 iPads in a row would have defects. I'm still on my first iPad and I can't find any screen defects and I don't have impaired vision in any way--don't even wear glasses.

Same here. I've worked on hundreds of iPads and have yet to see one with a single dead pixel.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Yes, it's a hassle to drive to and from the Apple store to replace new ipads but it's something you have to do in order to get a "perfect" ipad. I've personally have done this. It's really a shame that we have to do this for a product that we drop at least $500 on. Sure, people say stuff along the lines of "move on with your life, enjoy it for what it is, etc..." but why should we when we're spending that kind of money on a electronic device with faulty screens. I will still never understand how Apple could screw up this bad.

obviously if there were that many problems not a single person would have an iPad 3 in their possession right now. to go to the store and be on your 12th iPad....there is more going on then just trying to find the perfect one. If it's really that bad, obviously WAIT. If you've tried 12, why is the 13th all the sudden going to be the one?

As of recently, Macrumors has become nothing but a way to complain and make ridiculous threads that waste everyone's time. OMGZ how did you pay for your iPad? What case are you using this minute and did you buy the case in cash? OMGZ i bought an iPad 2, but feel i might like the iPad 3, what do I do? How do I buy an iPad?

This is ridiculous.

People need to seek help.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Whaa?

No. Your not missing anything. The guy is crazy. This is the new forum, welcome :)

note: They need to make sub forums to discuss purely mental issues. That would help.

Also, pretty soon the advertisers here will change from purely tech stuff, to some med stuff mixed in. Maybe we can have group buys for meds, or coupons, etc. Frankly, i'm excited :)

Yeah, I don't get it???? Seriously? What's with all these people that have gone back 7 times or whatever? When I had a defective iPad 3 (Apple Genius said (and I quote): "Yeah, that needs replacing.") the Apple Genius took out the new iPad 3 from the box and visually inspected it with me and gave it a clean bill of health (along with myself) before I took it back home in less than 5 mins after showing my defective iPad 3.

???????? Just amazing how many people don't do that? Either way, it's fun to read these people's posts and we sure enjoy chiming in, don't we? Although, I'm sure it's a lot of stress for these guys and can't be doing any good for their lifespan. lol.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Sorry, I'm a photo retoucher by trade. I am paid to notice flaws at the pixel level. Call it a disease, an illness, a curse...it may be all of those, but it's also a paycheck.

For me, a solitary dead or stuck pixel anywhere on the screen, except maaaybe at the very corner, and probably even then, is going back to Apple.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
To those of you getting 8, 10, 12, 15 iPads and are still not happy: give it up. Return your iPad. You'll never find one you like and I can't believe Apple has been patient enough with you to even let you do that.

To those of you who think Apple is capable of producing a perfect LCD all the time: you need a reality check. LCDs are LCDs. They are made by the same companies that make them for all other devices. They are equally susceptible to dead pixels just like any other LCD. Just because there's an Apple stamp on the back of the device does not mean that the LCD was made by magical elves.

Are dead/stuck pixels annoying? Yes. But that's the beauty of the retina display--if you get a dead pixel that's not in an obvious location, you'll probably barely ever notice it if at all. I'm not saying you don't have the right to return it and get one with no dead pixels. I'm just saying when you finally do find that "perfect" iPad, it could still get dead pixels down the road. It's a freakin' LCD. It happens. And you'll probably just find other stuff that bugs you on every return.

My new iPad has one dead pixel at the top right corner. I can only see it with my contacts out, as my up close vision is way better that way. With my contacts in, I can't even find the thing. In fact, I haven't seen it since the day I first saw it, so it's either corrected itself, or it's just not obvious at normal viewing distance. My iPad 2 had a stuck blue pixel. That was way more annoying as the pixels were larger, but still it never really came into my field of vision unless I loaded up Wired Magazine--the first screen is neon orange, and then I could always see that stuck pixel.

Weigh your options before doing these ridiculous amounts of exchanges. Is it worth torturing yourself over and over and spending time and gas money going back and forth to Apple stores? Nothing, not even an Apple gadget, is perfect. They have terrific design sense, and make amazing gadgets, but that doesn't mean they're perfect. I have done my fair share of exchanges (I had a lot of dust under the screen issues with my iPad 2) and Apple has almost always been really cool to me about it (except for one time when I got a really snotty kid helping me). But at some point enough is enough.

Some of you guys have to realize how ridiculous it looks when you've done this number of exchanges, still aren't happy, and then keep coming back to the forums to complain about it. The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". If you're unhappy, return your iPad and get something else. End of story.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Sorry, I'm a photo retoucher by trade. I am paid to notice flaws at the pixel level. Call it a disease, an illness, a curse...it may be all of those, but it's also a paycheck.

For me, a solitary dead or stuck pixel anywhere on the screen, except maaaybe at the very corner, and probably even then, is going back to Apple.

I can understand exchanging/returning an iPad for a dead pixel -- I'd do the same if I noticed one. However, there is a different between an obvious, verifiable defect and someone who returns 12 iPads in a row. That just doesn't make sense at all and calls into question that person's sanity.

If the new iPad was really so defective that 12 units in a row could be found to have legitimate defects, we would be hearing about this everywhere because almost everyone would have a defective unit. It would be in the news, all over tech sites and Apple would be making statements about how they were going to fix these issues. So far, I haven't heard a thing outside these forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
To those of you getting 8, 10, 12, 15 iPads and are still not happy: give it up.

Funny, it seems like this number keeps going up. At first people said "You're OCD if you return 3 iPads.". Then it was 5 or 6. (I finally got a decent one after 5). Yesterday it was 12. Today it's 15.

Seems to me that as long as there are people who are getting good ones and people getting bad ones, the people getting bad ones will continue trying to find a good one.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
obviously if there were that many problems not a single person would have an iPad 3 in their possession right now. to go to the store and be on your 12th iPad....there is more going on then just trying to find the perfect one. If it's really that bad, obviously WAIT. If you've tried 12, why is the 13th all the sudden going to be the one?

As of recently, Macrumors has become nothing but a way to complain and make ridiculous threads that waste everyone's time. OMGZ how did you pay for your iPad? What case are you using this minute and did you buy the case in cash? OMGZ i bought an iPad 2, but feel i might like the iPad 3, what do I do? How do I buy an iPad?

This is ridiculous.

People need to seek help.

Well said! Bravo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.