A Look At What's To Come From Dell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gigatiran, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Gigatiran macrumors newbie

Apparently Dell accidentally leaked their new Precision line and I have to say as far as professional laptops goes I'm very impressed.

Quad Core Processor
    16Gb DDR3
    2 500Gb Hard drives in RAID
    Nvidia Quadro FX 3700M

And from Electronista:
    "A jog wheel is also unique to the design and lets video editors scrub through footage or 3D modelers dial in specific settings more accurately than with a trackpad."

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...en/precision_concept_jumppage?c=us&l=en&s=gen

And I don't wanna hear: "But it doesn't run OSX" or "But it's not one inch thin"

I'm just surprised at what's even capable in this laptop and I'm sure it'll be very expensive and thick and battery hungry, I just wonder if Apple will take some cues from this, at least for MacBook Pro line.

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I think that our responsibility as tech users is to be aware of what other companies are offering and understanding how much they are capable of and how much they WILL sell.

Is it going to have 4 SO-DIMM slots? That'd be sweet!

As you said, I'm sure it'll be a little thick and battery hungry, but it's still amazing!

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) Still a Dell.

2) Still ugly as sin.

3) Sill stuck on Windows.

4) Oh, did I mention that it comes for the least reliable computer manufacturer... Dell.

TEG

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

5. Gigatiran thread starter macrumors newbie

And it looks like it some sort of multitouch track pad that lets you switch through apps.

I'm sure it'll be very expensive though. :(

EDIT: All I'm saying is that from a technical standpoint, it's very impressive.
    Why is it that no one on this website has heard of constructive criticism?
    Obviously we all love Macs... I'm just bringing up a point and the fact that no one will discuss rumors on a rumor-themed website is a tad ridiculous.

Obviously we all love macs, I'm just bringing up a point to discuss.

6. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

7. eddieiseddie macrumors member

eddieiseddie

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Seems fairly close minded. Frankly, I've found Apples lower in reliability compared to my previous Thinkpad laptops. I wouldn't buy a Dell because I'm a snob, but Apple isn't exactly the holy grail.

Windows vs OSX is such a lame argument. I prefer to use OSX for most things, but I don't have any problem using either and for anything productive, I'd much rather have Windows with a proper version of Word and Outlook. If you limit yourself because you have some sort of affiliation towards one camp, you're only hurting yourself.

9. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

As far as Apple not being the holy grail...
    +1000
    and a few Amens.

10. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

too bad it'll still kick your mac's ass in specs

11. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

There not bad actually, alot better specs than my macbook lol

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It's impressive, agreed. It'd be nice if it inspired Apple (and other vendors) down the line.
    As for the looks of it... if I needed that kind of power in a laptop I think I could live with it. The riffled one doesn't look too bad, though it reminds me a bit of the Alienware line-up.

As for least reliable manufacturer I think Acer has my vote, closely followed by HP, at least as far as their newer laptops go.

13. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I actually kind of like the case for the notebook. I like the matted red, it looks a lot like my red 3g iPod nano. I wouldn't buy one but I don't think they are ugly.

They seem like a mobile powerhouse which I have no use for, but from a technical stand point it is quiet impressive.

14. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

1) Could care less.

2) Could care less again. It's a computer to me. Not a fashion statement.

3) Vista works fine now.

4) It can't be any worse than the MacBook Pros of the last year or so.

I'll see what the MacBook Pro has in September and hopefully it matches the specs on the Dell Precision.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

How are they going to pack all of that into a laptop? This thing is going to be big.

And with the comment about Dell being the most unreliable computer company, I would have to disagree with that, from the experiences that my family and I have had, I would have to say that HP is the most unreliable. Now whenever I am forced into a situation where I have to set up or purchase a computer for a family member, I always go Dell.

It actually doesn't look all that big from the link, but it is too box-like for my liking.

16. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

if this could run osx it would be the last comptuer I would ever need. If apple could bone up these kind of specs it would make the mbp worthy of the "pro"

17. James17 macrumors 6502

Excellent innovation fitting all that spec into a laptop although it is very big. I can't wait for when Apple computers become like that:D

18. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

It would be nice if they could have at least one Macbook PRO like that. Jeebus it a $60 billion company can't they manage more than a few models ? :rolleyes:

19. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i must say thats impressive. but it might downfall for them. first company to release a quad core for a laptop, 16gb ram limitation, etc. but if it goes well, thats one damn good business laptop.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Whoa!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That PWNS the MacBook Pro. No argument. And so what if it's bigger and thicker and heavier and uglier than the MacBook Pro? That'll be the last thing you'll care about when the Dell is beating the MacBook Pro like crazy. It's like the specs of 3 or 4 MacBook Pros put together! (Now what's bigger?)

And don't say "Get a Mac Pro, it'll beat the Dell," because the Mac Pro isn't mobile. :rolleyes:

Good luck with that.

I've said this in other threads, but the MacBook Pro hardly deserves its "pro" moniker.

21. zsft macrumors regular

lol we need a poll on the dumbest argument of the month. i vote this one. haha what a zealot.

Hmm...interesting, except i'm not in the market for a workstation graphics card. be great if they have an Ati 38xx bto

22. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

1) What's your point?

2) Who cares? If you define yourself by the look and "style" of your laptop, you're pretty pathetic and vain.

3) The laptop is a workstation computer. So AutoCAD, SolidWorks, 3D Studio Max are going to be the main applications used for that computer. Mac OS X would hardly be a desirable OS, since IT CAN'T RUN THOSE PROGRAMS! You'll end up running Windows in Boot Camp, which if you're going to do that most of the time, you might as well get a Windows PC.

4) How come in the June 2008 Consumer Reports Apple laptops had a higher rate of repair than any of the other laptop manufacturers featured?

Take off the rose colored sun glasses please.

23. kabunaru Guest

So, you have to compare a Mac Pro to this maxed-out laptop? :rolleyes:

24. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

The laptops are ugly as all get out... the servers look nice though

25. MidiMonk macrumors regular

The new Dell looks to be a solid business class workstation laptop.

Windows XP fixes what Apple refuses to comment on, so Apples golden days are over IMHO.