A Macbook prospect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeniswise, Nov 25, 2014.

1. zeniswise macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a pc user and I was thinking of the possibility of getting a MacBook Pro/air. I'm a pastry chef and planning on opening a pastry shop in the future.

I want to know if a macbook pro/air have more benefits than a pc for my situation/profession? I never dealt with Apple beside iphone

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

:apple: offers better quality in every regard. It always makes me crinch when I have to use Windows.

3. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

Personally I don't know that ... That's why I was hoping you guys can clarify why Mac is better than pc for my pastry shop business

4. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Even as big as MacRumors forums are, I am not sure there are many pastry shop entrepreneurs on here who could help you in that category.

5. leman macrumors 604

A Macbook has a polished aluminium surface and is definitely better to roll out dough on than an average PC laptop. Also, its easy to disinfect. Also, as suggested in a different thread, it makes a very nice panini grill, in case you'd like to extend your business in the future. Personally, I'd recommend you a MacBook Air - the thin edge can be used to cut a dough/cheese or even soft vegetables. Want to keep something warm? Just start a youtube video and a constant nice temperature of 50C is guaranteed! All in all — perfect multi-purpose tool for a pastry chef!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

It will do nothing for you a comparably priced Windows based PC won't, unless you are looking to run very specific apps.

I prefer the OS X interface and way of interacting with the computer (multi-touch trackpad, natural scrolling, inertial scrolling) but there is pretty much nothing I do on my Mac that couldn't be done on a PC.

If you want to do your own billing and part of your accounting, have something to generate time sheets and schedules for employees, then you should first look into software that'll do that, then choose the computer that'll run it.

I've used Quickbooks in the past, and I liked it. It has a Mac version.

7. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

With a laptop ... I'm planning on using it for

- Writing business plan and recipes
    - social media using a tablet as well for employees to use during operation hours to interact with customers and updates with photos of products and info ... Also answer customers questions on social media and emails
    - work on pastry shop site/ web design
    - photos of desserts which we may have to manipulate to custom fit for the site and to showcase to walk in customers to show what our products look like

It more of a personal laptop for me to take home and back to work

Time sheet/schedule is easy to do on excel ... It not going to a big corporate style pastry shop .. Small and quaint place

8. Zerka macrumors member

I agree, for your usage, it all comes down to preference. As stated, a reasonably priced PC can get you the same performance as a similarly-priced MacBook. I, myself, am not completely sold on Macs as the computer master brand. I have a Windows PC I absolutely adore and have for the past year and a half. But I got a MBP because I wanted to try something new and fresh, and I'm glad I did. You can find tons of threads about the pros of getting a MBP over a PC and vice-versa. If you can, test out a MBP for a few days (a friends maybe), and try out a Windows PC and see for yourself which system you like :D

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Will your computer be subject to oil vapours, flour, water, etc? In this case, a Lenovo Thinkpad T-Series seems to be a better choice, since it has a tougher design which supports some liquid spilling. Macbooks are not the best computers for rough environments.

10. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

In a simple sentence; a Mac works like magic!

It's hassle free, doesn't make you rage and it does simple things pretty nicely! Go with an air!

11. Samuelsan2001, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

A joy to use

The software is a joy to use, thats the best thing about a mac....

They are simple intuitive and much of the software needed is bundled in for free, many apps are cheaper than their windows counterparts too. I find I do far more on my macs than any windows PC just due to the fact that I enjoy using it...

I would reccomend the 13 inch retina macbook pro, great for photos and presentations on that screen and with good connection ports great wifi, and solid all round specs, it really is the best little laptop about.

Add in an iPad and you have a complete solution for connectivity and intergration between your pad and iphone if you have one and mac, handoff documents, spreadsheets, phone calls and messages between the two, sync photos and presentations to show on all devices etc and you have a great small business solution...

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Find the apps you need, and determine if there's any OS X counterparts. There's no reason to by a Mac if it won't run the software your business needs.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

There is (was?) also a certain cachet of sophistication/ coolness being a Mac user. If you are in the hipster-ish end of the pastry business, the "perception aura" that a Mac brings maybe something you ought to consider in addition to the technical and practical issues that other posters have already raised.

14. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

A Macbook will do you fine. Microsoft Office works well on the Mac, and the Apple equivalent iWork (Pages, Keynote and Numbers) are in my opinion even better than Microsoft's offerings.

As for web design, most of the main programs are also on the Mac; Dreamweaver, Kompozer etc.

As a photographer/designer myself, Macs are great on that behalf. That said, I use Lightroom and Photoshop for my photos, but Apple's built in iPhoto has a lot of tools for a non-photographer to play around with.

For you, since you want a personal laptop as well, I would recommend the base 2014 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I recommend it over the Macbook air because (1) If you want to show photos to customers, the Retina screen will make a difference and (2) It's almost as light as the Air, and WAY more powerful.

Hope that helps!

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

As far as getting the work done, there's only one possible benefit: Apple ecosystem. If you own an iPad and/or iPhone, the integration can be quite a benefit and expand your productivity... assuming that your needs and any applications you're using can utilize it. If you have no use for it, then it's a pointless feature. If you do have a use for it, it's not something that Windows or Android systems have an equivalent for at this point in time.

Otherwise, the benefits aren't noticeably outright. Mac systems are easier to maintain (speaking from experience of managing my own systems and those of family members), and if a hardware issue arises then it's a simple matter of bringing your computer to an Apple store for service. Time is valuable, and if you're going to be running your own business, you'll be busy and will feel it even more so. Not needing to tinker with your system, and not needing to wrangle with phone support if something goes wrong, represent major benefits.

One final benefit is the ability to virtualize Windows through programs like VMWare Fusion or Parallels. Virtualizing Windows allows you not only to use Windows-only software, but to learn OS X and Mac versions of programs at your own pace. I practically lived in Parallels during the first week of switching to a Mac, and with each passing week my usage steadily dropped. Granted, if you're set on using purely Windows-only software then it might not make sense to get a Mac even though you can virtualize... but it's another benefit to consider.

Last word: I love pastries, and I think the vast majority of people do, too. Pastry shops spread happiness. I wish you the best of luck in your business endeavor. If you do switch to a Mac and think it was the right decision, do all of us here who replied get a free pastry from your shop? ;)

16. TechZeke, Nov 26, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Any PC with similar build quality and specs is going to cost as much as a Mac. You don't have to buy a Mac just to get a high quality PC. However, support and integration is where Apple destroys the competition. For Business, being able to just take your Mac to Apple store and drop it off makes problems much less of a hassle.

Macs also have advantage of being able to pretty much run every desktop operating system natively via bootcamp or by virtualization. Because of this, it makes App support pretty irrelevant. If anything, the Mac has a higher range of App compatibility. I know quite a few people who love the hardware of the Mac, but just bootcamp windows and run like a pure windows PC.

So I would say, if you love the hardware of the Mac, you should be fine.

I'm an Engineering Student, where almost all CAD apps are for Windows only, never had any issues having a Mac.

17. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

@Zerka will ask around and try out their macbook

@brdeveloper no the laptop won't be exposed to the harsh environment.. I actually consider the T series but one of my concerns was not checking it out personally

@sebseb Why did you suggested an air over a pro?

@Samuelsan2001 I do have an iphone ... I thought of the macbook because the integration idea between the 3 devces including the ipad which I don't need one at the moment (I think lol :p)

@mtneer I do kind of admit that I'm a hipster because I dislke the corporate world.. I'm a creative type of person and never really liked the cutthroat dog eat dog world... not worth it

@chaofahn I'm surprised that iWorks is better than MS Office.. I'm intriguied

What kind of specs do you recommend for the 13" macbook pro?

@Ledgem I agree that the ecosystem is great benefit for me especally for social media that I can take pics with the ipad and post it on fb, twit or instagram. Also if I thought of an idea for a dessert or product on the go, I can make a note on my iphone and sync it wth the other apple devices.

I'm a bit surprised there is no window/andriod ecosystem... I thought we are far enough in the technology age that there is a wndow ecosystem on par with apple

I didn't think of the support aspect... I'm actually hearing impaired..I'm deaf but I wear hearing aids in order to hear, so I can't communiate well over the phone but no problems talking face to face at the apple store.

I don't think I will do purely windows software.. Most times I'm actually pissed off at windows on my current laptop. chaofahn made a point about photos are great for mac so i can manipulate the pictures and work on the site in a visual and creative sense.

I have no problems with the posters getting a free pastry :)... I live in Ontario, Canada.. anybody willingly to go there? lol

Do you guys recommend buying a macbook now or wait until the next wave of them? what about the applecare?

18. Zerka macrumors member

Asking questions like that will leave you waiting forever :p Of course there will always be something bigger and better around the corner, but should you wait? Well, if you want. The difference will likely not make much of a difference to your overall usage of your machine, maybe a slight bump in efficiency, maybe battery life. If you need it now, get it now. You won't regret spending the money now as compared to later

19. zeniswise, Nov 26, 2014

zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

A Macbook prospect

Haha

What specs are the best for me?

Also one person recommend air and other recommend pro ... Which one? :p

20. bgd macrumors regular

Either will be fine. You get a nicer screen with the rMBP but longer battery life with the MBA. Check them both out and decide. 4GB RAM should be fine. Think about your storage needs, you may be fine with 128GB if you also have external storage.

I have a 2010 MBA with 4GB RAM and 128GB drive. I can run pretty much anything on this 4 year old machine. I use a NAS to get around the storage limitations.

21. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

Oh hell yeah .. Better screen

Better for photos, website and watching/streaming HD movie/video

Is the external hard drive cheaper than buying an upgrade internal storage? Also Can I buy any external hard drive or it have to be specifically for Mac/Apple?

What processor do you recommend because I saw multiple types of i5s and i7s

22. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

I think for your needs, you only need i5 and an external hard drive perhaps for your photos. I5 is powerful enough to handle HD video too, so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't wait for the next-gen either, otherwise you'll never end up actually buying one!

So yeah the 13" rMBP base model for you. Cheaper, lighter, smooth and everything you need in one portable package!

As for iWorks, it's just a matter of personal preference. That, and it runs as smooth as butter whereas for Microsoft Office on Mac, it seems like it doesn't really take advantage of the OSX's environment. I dunno, just my biased opinion! :p

23. Zerka macrumors member

Externals are much, much cheaper. Mostly because most external drives are HDDs, while the storage used by retina MacBook Pros are SSDs (which can only be upgraded at the time of purchase. Most external drives will work, there are very few that are made for solely Windows PCs.

24. zeniswise thread starter macrumors member

I think stores are getting rid of 4gb ram laptops because there is only one MacBook Pro with 4gb ... I checked 3 stores online, same laptop with the same 4gb ... Seem like the standard ram is 8gb now... I even checked Apple Store canada, no 4gb ram, only 8gb and up

I will do the external drive because in case something happen to the pro ... At least my docs and pics are saved on the external drive

25. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

My friend is professional chef, and he love using his maxed out 13inch macbook air. He wanted ultra light laptop for his travel and work.