A new alternative to a NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gumbyx84, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. I just came across this and I thought I'd share it with you guys. Its the iConnect from Iomega.

Product website
    SlashGear Review

Its basically a wired and wireless USB NAS and printer server with built-in UPNP media server, BitTorrent client, and Time Machine support. It also comes with native OS X configuration software. While I like my AXBS, I would love to have a UPnP media server to stream vids to my PS3 and modded XBox (XBMC). The BitTorrent client is just icing on the cake. And it only costs $100!! Find a normal NAS for that price.

I have to say I'm surprised Iomega could put out such an interesting product. I'm going to be looking around for more reviews on it.

PS I know a "real" NAS will have more features and faster read/write speeds over the network, but For $100 this is great.

2. wedi42 macrumors newbie

looks cool, can't wait to see a good review for this product.
    Specifically, how well it works with macs?

3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Not sure. I can't find it at any brick-and-morter stores ATM, so I can't test it on my own. From what research I have done, you can connect to it without the software (like a router) and configure it that way. I hope a Mac specific review comes out soon. If not, I might just get it (if I have the funds) and do a mini-review for the forum.

4. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

Its iomega id stay far far away from it. dont believe me read up on some of there NAS systems they suck I have to support one at work.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I don't like a single-disk NAS solution...I use and would only consider at least a dual disk NAS with RAID for data reliability.

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

7. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

The WD product you linked to isn't a NAS. Its a media player.

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

So how is the Iomega product you linked a NAS?

NAS = storage and the Iomega doesn't even have a single MB you could use for storing data, hence it is NOT a NAS.

It's a device that enables USB drives to act as network storage devices, but itself is not a NAS.

9. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

........ I called it an alternative to a NAS. All I was pointing out was the product linked was not the same as the iConnect. If I didn't word it in a way that suits you, sorry.

10. codymac macrumors 6502

NSLU2, anyone?

On the up side, the documentation for the Iomega device indicates it supports AFP out of the box.

11. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

The NSLU2 doesnt support AFP out of the box (or with custom firmware from what I understand) so this is a better alternative for the OS X user.

12. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I mean or you could just go totally hardcore like me... Get a sheevaplug! I have a sheevaplug with 500GB. It runs as a NAS (using AFP so it broadcasts a drive JUST like my time capsule), it runs my squeezebox server, it backs up my music, it runs Debian linux, so you can do whatever you want with it! Anyhow, it's pretty geeky, but it's SUPER fun, and it's a great toy to hack around with. Here is an article I wrote on my blog about it.

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't think that thing has gigabit ethernet. There's no way I would even consider a NAS without it.

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I started another thread a little while back about running an Intel SS4200 with unRAID. At the time, I got the SS4200 for $135 (not sure if they can still be found at that price) and it's far more powerful.

15. VoR macrumors 6502a

That's a nice little machine I didn't know about - the newer 'plug computer 3' and all the devices based on the platform look great too.
    I read through your blog, but couldn't find the information I was after - I'm very interested in network throughput - What sort of speed do you get with smb/afp/nfs with your fastest usb drive/internal storage?

16. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I would like to get a Sheevaplug and be able to mess around with it, but when it comes to TM backups and serving my media, I want something that "just works", to use the Apple quote. I'd probably get a Sheevaplug and/or BegalBoard for personal projects.

17. LiteSpeed2Endor macrumors newbie

Got to check these out at CES. They have about 5 different versions. A customer of ours is using the Sheevaplug with our quad bay eSATA/USB enclosure and loves it. Makes me want to set that up also.

Also, with certain routers like D-Link DIR-655 and Airport Extreme, the USB port has hub functionality, so you can hook up a multibay enclosure to it and POOF, you have a NAS device. Obviously it won't have the functionality that dedicated NAS systems or home servers have, but an easy to set up solution, no doubt.

18. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I actually have a setup like this. I have a 1TB drive connected to my Airport Extreme. I am interested in the iConnect and similar NAS-like devices because they have UPnP, Time Machine, and BitTorrent support built in. The AirPort Extreme and other routers will never get that (UPnP and BitTorrent support).

19. 929406 macrumors regular

thanks for sharing

This sounds like the device i have been looking for ever since my Synology NAS has been acting up. The review from slashgear seems positive, I will try one out as soon as I can get hold of one.

20. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Same here. If you find it before I do (I plan to post a link to my "review" in this thread), mind posting where you found it? MicroCenter don't have listing for it yet and, while Best Buy does, its an online only item that is currently "Sold Out". I prefer to buy in in brick-and-mortar store in case I need to return it if it doesn't work as advertised.

21. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm not sure what the exact transfer rates are, but I have it plugged into my time capsule via ethernet, and I can tell you that the transfer rates to my USB hard drive hooked up to my Sheevaplug are faster than the transfer rates to my time capsule. Actually, now that you mention it, I would really love to do a head to head test between the two. What's the best way to test the speeds? I'll post back here with results.
    Hey I hear ya! I have a Sheevaplug AND a Time Capsule. The Time Capsule is used PURELY for backups (actually, the sheevaplug backs up its shares to the time capsule!). I just use the Sheevaplug as a general purpose NAS, squeezebox server, web server, etc. It's great. I use software called Tonido so that I any file i put on my NAS, i can quickly create a "share" and create a user/pass combo for any of my fam / friends to download files off it from a web URL. Very cool stuff.

22. codymac macrumors 6502

Exactly my point.

True, but this really isn't a new class of device or implementation by a long shot. I see little to get excited over since it's still NAS at the end of the day.

23. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Agreed.

24. kickFlip macrumors member

I guess you can call it a NASC: Network Accessible Storage Controller

25. kickFlip macrumors member

I just checked the datasheet for the Iomega iConnect and it does have Gigabit Ethernet as well as B/G/N wireless support.

This thing seems pretty tight for the money. I'm going to use some external drives kicking around with this baby.