Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Hi there,
A lot of you are recommending Caffeine.
Can someone tell me why you'd never want your Mac to sleep?
Would this not shorten the lifespan of your display?
And can it not be done in System Preferences?
thanks for the advice,
malch

I do put my mac to sleep, but I typically use caffeine when I don't want it to go to sleep in the middle of my work flow. For example, I might be going back and forth between some readings on my iPad, my work PC and my MBA, or I might be in a seminar where I take notes at irregular intervals. Then I don't want to retype the password all the time as I go back and forth between my MBA.

----------

My favourites at the moment:

Caffeine
Curio Core
DevonThink
Evernote
CP Notebooks
Scrivener
Spotify
Small Task

MadMitch89

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
My favourite research based applications for all those buddying scientists:
- Papers: for citation management
- Scrivener: for non-linear document creation
- Evernote: the best free-app (better than most paid apps!) you can get
- OmniFocus: for project and task management

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Sparrow
iMessages
Photoshop
Illustrator
Indesign
Modo
Cinema4D
Zbrush
Screenflow (This is a must)
Tags
VLC
AppCleaner
Stickies
Cloud (I LOVE THIS!! and prefer it much more than Dropbox)
OnyX
Transmission
Transmit
Zinio Reader
Handbrake
A Better Finder Rename

admyrick

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
Virginia
Just got my mac so i don't have too many apps installed yet. but my favorite so far are

Evernote
Spotify
Geektool
WoW
Dropbox
Boom
Shovebox
TunesArt

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
is VLC the best video player?

For Windows I used CCC Community Codec Pack. I need the Mac equivalent!

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009

For Windows I used CCC Community Codec Pack. I need the Mac equivalent!

For codecs there used to be Perian. But I think they stopped supporting it. But you can still grab it.

Larsonator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013

By far. It does everything all the other applications can do, if not more. The best thing about it is that it's a relatively light program and doesn't require a lot of processing power. You have thousands of options to tweak and the developer's website has an active forum with hints, tricks, and troubleshooting advice.

I've had it for 5+ years and it's by far my most used app other than Safari. It's free but I'd have no problem paying a premium for something with this kind of quality.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
By far. It does everything all the other applications can do, if not more. The best thing about it is that it's a relatively light program and doesn't require a lot of processing power. You have thousands of options to tweak and the developer's website has an active forum with hints, tricks, and troubleshooting advice.

I've had it for 5+ years and it's by far my most used app other than Safari. It's free but I'd have no problem paying a premium for something with this kind of quality.

Might pay to look at the dates. The question was posted over a year ago by someone who appears to no longer be active.

Anyway, VLC seems to be the only option now (other than using Handbrake to reformat) since QuickTime no longer accepts plugins, making Perian useless.

CochlearArch

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Its all good.

Others like myself browse this forum for information. I appreciate what I can learn just by lurking. Keep up the good work.

Larsonator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Might pay to look at the dates. The question was posted over a year ago by someone who appears to no longer be active.

Anyway, VLC seems to be the only option now (other than using Handbrake to reformat) since QuickTime no longer accepts plugins, making Perian useless.

If it helps one person in the future who stumbles upon it via Google then it was worth my time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.