A nice 0.7mm thick case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ToddH, Dec 3, 2013.

1. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I purchased this slim carbon fiber snap case for the 5s at the Apple store and so far I really like it. It is supposedly made from DuPont Kevlar fibers and is stronger than steel for the same thickness. I would agree that it is well made and strong. This case feels like it would be hard to break and it has a nice soft touch coating. It's a great minimal case for those of you that don't like cases or those that just want a very thin case. It goes on easy, but it is hard to remove. It's very durable though. It covers the back and sides, the top and bottom are exposed. I also got the two piece one, (rubber / carbon fiber mix). See them here...

http://www.evutec.com/products/AP-005-CS-KA1.html#page=tab1

http://www.evutec.com/apple.html

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I saw these at the store the other day. I took a peek inside the boxes, and they seemed nice, with a rubbery coating, but I didn't go any farther than that.

Apparently, they just hit the market, so there's little, if anything, in the way of reviews.

I'm curious about the two-piece SP version, but I don't know about spending $50 for a case, and since these are Apple Store exclusives, there won't be any market pricing flexibility.

How is the bottom port-side of the SP case configured? Large enough to accommodate larger plugs, if not Lighting adapters? Does this rubber portion compromise the button feel?

3. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I was kind of hesitant to buy a two piece rubber/carbon fiber case for $50 myself, but once I tried it on the phone it felt really nice and it kept the feeling of the iPhone 5s thin. The port inlets are nicely sized and they will handle a larger phone jack as you are describing or inquiring about. I have attached a photo comparing that two-piece rubber/Kevlar case with an iPhone 5S leather case. The phone jack port is actually a little bit larger than the iPhone leather case. So, I don't really see you having an issue inserting other headphone jacks. Overall I really like the case, it feels good in your hand and all of the buttons function easily. None of them are hard to press at all. I have had some cases to where the sleep button on top of the iPhone is really difficult to push due to the nature of the case, but this rubberized inner shell make the buttons very easy to push and it feels like there's no case there at all. Here is the photo of the bottom of the case:

I'll be glad to help you with any more questions that you will have. Just ask.

Todd

Attached Files:

4. rperalta macrumors 6502

5. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

The top, bottom, and sides, are all enclosed and covered by silicone. However the then carbon fiber case that the original post is talking about, is open at the top and bottom. But that two-piece case silicone/carbon fiber is closed all the way around. Here are photos of the 5s

Attached Files:

6. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Another

Attached Files:

7. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

8. rperalta macrumors 6502

Thank you ToddH!! Is is possible for you to post a picture of the two pieces? I'm assuming the first piece is like a bumper that wraps around the sides of the iPhone.

9. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Actually this case (pictured above) and the two-piece case are not related, the outer shell of the two-piece case will only fit on the rubber part of the two-piece case to reinforce it more. The thin .7 mm case is just a small simple snap case made out of carbon fiber and it does not provide much protection but it is very thin. Here is a photo of the two cases side-by-side. The snap case has cutouts for the volume and vibration switch. The other case is all rubber with a carbon fiber backing.

Attached Files:

10. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Thanks for the pix!

How much of a front lip does the SP have to provide "face down" protection?

Though I'm careful, and love the looks of the Karbon S, I do favor whatever extra safety margin a two-piece case might provide over a simple shell.

The more I look at the SP, the more I like it (except the price, of course). The AS didn't have red version of the SP on the wall, but did have the red S; I prefer the black. The SP isn't even on the online store site yet.

In looking at the bazillions of case options out there, the SP seems to be preferable to stuff like the Speck CandyShell (too plasticky-looking and bulky, intrusive logo), Incipio DualPro CF (plasticky), and Case-Mate Tough (shell over a bumper liner). I thought about getting one of the more colorful Spigen cases, but will probably opt for the understated look this time.

11. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I would guesstimate that you would have at least 1/16th of an inch lip over the top of the phone for placing it face down, roughly the same as the speck candy shell. This is the dual case, rubber/carbon: see photos below.

I think Spigen cases are nice, they make good stuff. So far I really like the carbon snap case and the two piece carbon/rubber case. Those are my favorites so far.

Attached Files:

12. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Front view

Attached Files:

13. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Thanks again for the help.

I'm gonna hit the AS today and grab one.

14. rperalta macrumors 6502

Why it's hard to remove it? The top and bottom are open, the corners should flex better (compare to enclosed top) for easier removal. Btw, how do you like this case (snap on)?

15. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

It's hard to remove because of its rigidity and thinness. You have to get your fingernail under it at the top & bottom and peel it off. It is DuPont Kevlar fibers and it's sides are very stiff and this makes it more difficult to remove because it it's tight fit. It's just more difficult compared to others cases similar in design.

As far as me liking the case, I think it is nice, an alternative to carding the phone without a case. I don't keep it on 24/7, I mostly use this case when I'm not working. I'll swap it out for the two piece case for better protection while on the job. I bought the case because I thought it looked and felt nice on the phone... It's not best for overall protection, but I really like it.

T

16. rperalta macrumors 6502

Thanks ToddH. I just went to Apple Store and bought the Karbon S (snap on) carbon fiber case. I haven't opened the box yet. I hope I like it.

17. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Well, I'm surprised that you did not try it on the phone first before getting it. That's what I did. At least you have until January to return it if you don't care tor it. Let me know what you think. Share your impressions with us.

T

18. rperalta macrumors 6502

I didn't know that you can try it on in the Apple Store. However, I didn't see other customers trying on cases. The lady that rang me up said I have 14 days to return it (I'm in California). I'll report back here.

19. dhc921 macrumors newbie

I also got it today from the apple store. Really like the velvet feel and it is made very strong that should last a long time without getting loose. I think it is the best snap on case made so far if you like the minimal/naked feel of the iPhone 5/s.

20. rperalta macrumors 6502

My wife drove my car and I got my Karbon S in there. Now I have to wait until she gets back home.

I had clear films around the edges but I removed the side films already. Can I leave the top and bottom films on and will the Karbon S still fit? I kinda like the idea to leave the top and bottom films on to protect the exposed top and bottom. Thanks in advanced for the answer.

21. ToddH thread starter macrumors 6502a

ToddH

The answer to that is......yes! The case will fit fine with front & back film. I have ghost armor on the back of my 5s and the ultra crystal from Spigen on the front. I also had side film, I also took mine off. Because of the velvet / rubbery feel of the case, it will not scratch the sides. I hope you enjoy the case...

Todd

----------

I'm in Austin Texas, since the holidays are upon us, I was told that we have until mid January to return cases and other items. You should have more than 14 days to test your case. As far as the cases go, I always try them on before I buy. But only if the case packaging is easy to open without having to cut tape or force one open. Most case packaging there can be opened to allow access to the case. However some times I do get permission before doing so, other times I just try it on... Hope you like the snap-on case. It is the best I have found so far..

T

22. rperalta macrumors 6502

Btw, I didn't see the Karbon SP at the Apple Store. I'm not sure if they had it in stock and sold out. I asked an employee in the store but they're not familiar and not sure.

23. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Distribution of the Evutec cases is still inconsistent.

I've got four stores within reasonable proximity, including two that could be considered "better," larger stores.

Neither of the large stores had any Evutec cases at all, and of the two smaller stores, one had both the S and SP, and one only had the S. The S were available in both black/grey and red/black.

I ended having to go back to the store where I originally saw them to get one.

That said, I'm going back again to check the other examples of the SP in stock. The corner of the hard shell adjacent to the camera on the one I have doesn't sit flush with the inner rubber lining. I'm kinda OCD, and I could probably overlook it if it was a $20-30 case, but not for the full $50 retail.

Otherwise, it's a nice case, and I love the velvet-like feel and grip. The opening for the the headphone jack won't accommodate the plug housing on my Shures, but I suspect few aside from a case with a fully open bottom would.

24. rperalta macrumors 6502

Before Karbon S, I was using Apple leather case, Caudabe Veil (.35mm), and Tech Armor SlimProtect. I really like the Karbon S the more I use it. I have a film (by Lucky Skins) on the top and bottom opening, it should protect it from scratches and dings.

25. yyj05 macrumors newbie

Does the case affect the signal?? As normally carbon fiber kinda blocks signals