A note about unlimited data plans from an AT&T rep..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kre62, Jun 21, 2011.

1. kre62 macrumors 68000

First of all, we all already know that Customer Service reps aren't the pinnacle of reliability. We know that. No need to state it.

I called customer service about adding an unlimited text plan. In the midst of the conversation, the rep told me that when the new iPhone comes out, or if I wanted to upgrade to any other phone, I needed to make sure I did so at an AT&T store. He claimed that all other partners would not be able to allow me to keep the grandfathered unlimited data plan, and would end up switching me to one of the new data plans. The only way to keep that plan would be to go to an AT&T store.

Take it for what it's worth

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Fixed?

AT&T reps work out of home, don't they? I'd take anything like this with a bucket of salt.

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

He was talking out of his butt. ATT has NEVER done it like this.

4. Centient macrumors 6502

AT&T and reps are a nice, but woefully uninformed bunch. Take what he said and pour it out of your head. It's not worth the space it takes up.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Whether it's truer or not, it's always best to buy the phone from the cell provider, IMO.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You think so? I always go with Best Buy for the Buyback program and better insurance. Any issues with features and account stuff I go bother the cell provider later lol

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Why? I've bought mine at Apple Stores (1st gen, 3GS) and Best Buy (iP4).....never had a problem.

I guess you didn't buy the $147 Walmart iP4, eh?:p

8. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Yeah, if you want to pay an extra $60 to $80 in sales tax.

AT&T charged me tax on the retail price not the sale price, where the Apple store charges tax on the sales price.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So....nothing?

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you like paying the additonal $50 Verizon is throwing on iPhones? Or the constant crap you have to deal with going into a Carrier store? I've been using iPhones since the first one and I think I've been in an AT&T store...3 times since 2007? There's no need unless you like dealing with incompetence.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's not always the case.
    My AT&T store is not like that. They're pretty helpful and quick.
    It's much easier, for me, to go there too. It's a 5 minute drive and they'll take only 10 minutes to get me running. The Apple Store is 45 minutes away and it's incredibly hard to find parking at the mall in which it is located in. Plus, it's always packed with people so I'm not even sure how long it would take me to find someone.

Anyways, I'd probably buy my next iPhone online. Much easier than any of the above.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They didn't do that to me when I got the 3GS & iP4 at a ATT store.

You got served by ATT. :eek:

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

@Pink and Surely: I just know I'm not going to have any problems with the service going thru AT&T. Been there done that with non-AT&T and it wasn't fun. YMMV.

Buying the wife's iPhone was an example of the above, mostly due to my wife coming from a Treo. Note: Employee has to be told that Treo SIM will not work in the iPhone 4. :facepalm:

So, no, didn't buy thru Wally World.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The AT&T store near me is excellent as well (though there are others in the area that are not so good). I typically get help within 5 minutes of being at the store and have even had the sales rep assist me in finding ways to lower my bill. I also took my mom in there once to buy her a new Blackberry for her birthday (yes, I tried to convince her to get something else :p ) and the sales rep gave her $50 off the website/in-store price for the phone.

The only negatives I've had with them are lack of supply on Apple launch days and mediocre parking. But if I'm needing AT&T/Apple assistance away from a launch day, I'd prefer to go there than the Apple store.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They've been very kind to us as well, giving us promotions and discounts as you have mentioned. Apple cannot really go into the system and do that. They gave my friend a free iPhone case.
    I would never go to my Apple Store on launch day of something. It's already packed to the limit until they dim the lights at store closing. Haha

I'm guessing that my AT&T store would only have a few people waiting on launch day. I can't say I'd be too worried about not getting a phone on launch day. With that being said, I'd probably preorder it for convenience.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Folks with a FAN attached to their account may or may not have to go to AT&T to upgrade. It really depends on how they decide to do it this year (it seems to change from year to year).

17. Surely Guest

Surely

No, they all calculate the sales tax on the retail price, not just AT&T. It's the law.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Pretty much the only way to go, got my 4 2 days early as well :)

19. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

To be safe. since the unlimited data is no longer an option I'd rather go to an AT&T store for this go around. If i can preorder though, i will..

20. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Why keep unlimited plan if I am not using it?

I still carry the unlimited plan since last April, but I don't know why??? I only use around 500. I have never used over 600. But I feel like I have something special, so I hold on to it like a squirrel with a nut for winter.

So, how can I make this something I actually benefit from?

21. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Those laws vary by state, in NY we only have to pay tax on the subsidized price. I know some states like CA, MA, and RI you have to pay tax on the unsubsidized retail price.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Of course.....sales tax is a state tax.

But to say that one store does it differently than the others within the same state is inaccurate.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Must be a CA thing. I paid sales tax on the sales price of $199.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

Are you sure? Then it's really too bad you didn't go Walmart.:D:p

It seems to be state by state. I recall a ton of threads over the years when each iPhone came out of people complaining that they had to pay sales tax on the retail price and not the $199/299 price (except for the 1st gen, which wasn't subsidized).

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, it's a california thing.

At least here, we only pay sales tax on the subsidized price of 199/299. I know californians pay tax based off of the 599/699 tag.