A Note to Everyone in Line Right Now/Trying to Buy on Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You could have pre-ordered iPhone 6 a week ago, thereby bestowing you with any iPhone 6 of your choice... It could have even been sent to your doorstep through a revolutionary new feature called home delivery. Or, you could have miraculously had one already reserved at an Apple Store.

Is there any logic to not pre-ordering on-time? :rolleyes: If I had an upgrade now instead of in November I would have but now I'm just trying to scalp. Am kicking myself for not pre-ordering and assuming prices would be lower on eBay this year... If I had an upgrade I'd be kicking myself a lot more.

That is all.

2. mellofello macrumors 65816

At least preorder for in store pickup. People just rolling the dice are nuts. Wish I had that much freetime that I could take a day off to maybe get a phone.

UPS FTW

3. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Not everyone was able to stay up until 3AM EST to pre-order a cell phone. Also, Apple's website was a mess for the pre-orders and it was overall just a stressful situation and I don't blame anyone who didn't want to take part in it. Not everyone reads the tech sites like we do so I'd say most didn't even know you could pre-order. Tons of reasons why people didn't/couldn't pre-order dude.

4. Bazilemac macrumors regular

Uhh don't know what planet you've been on, but the pre order experience with AT&T has been anything but spectacular

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Wow! Thank you so much for this! I never would have thought of this myself. You have saved me and many others the pain of ever having to wait in line again. :rolleyes:

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

what happened to me last year is my upgrade date fell right between the announcement and the release. It was after the preorder window opened so I missed out. I am impatient so I decided to do the line thing. First time ever. It was fun and worth the experience.

I still wouldn't do it again unless necessary tho.

Some people like the adrenaline rush though, and make no mistake - it's pretty cool to run through 30-40 geniuses cheering you on and high fiving you.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I agree that it's a cool experience to buy in-store but it's become too much of a hassle. Lines have become too long for everyone to get the model they wanted.

8. lithonius macrumors member

Nothing stressful about my online pre-order situation. I woke up at 6am ET, logged into AT&T and ordered my 64GB 4.7" space grey on 9/12. My iPhone is out for delivery with UPS right now. The only "stressful" thing about it, is coming to this forum listening to grown men act like little kids with so many preconceptions about their "experience", when the phone is just now dropping today. What was stressful about my experience? Not a damn thing.

9. esco macrumors 6502

esco

Paycheck didn't go through until this week so I didn't have the resources to have a $400+ hold on my account. I've had the last couple delivered to my doorstep so I don't mind heading down to Michigan Avenue today to try to pick one up (granted I'm going for the 128GB iPhone 6.)

People have their different reasons for not being able to preorder last week.

10. etphone macrumors member

What's the point? My preorder in nearly 20 mins after opening won't be filled for weeks.

11. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

But waiting in line sounds like it's a more stressful situation...

I'd advise waiting it out a few days if you didn't preorder.

12. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I went to bed at 10PM and set the alarm for 2:50AM. Got a successful order through AT&T (website) as well as Apple (iPad Apple Store App), and canceled the AT&T order. I was back asleep by 4AM. Expecting delivery of my iPhone 6 Plus later today.

On the other hand I've met some cool people in line on the occasions I've bought on launch day at the Apple store, it's just not something I have time to do this year - I have better ways to use my vacation time.

13. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Glad you had a good experience - so did I. But not everyone did. Apple's site not going up at the right time and only being able to use the Apple Store App. People on t-mobile couldn't use the app or t-mobiles site and were forced to wait until Apple's site went up - way later than they said it would. If you were in New York and you wanted to use AT&T Next, you were forced to use AT&T's site because Apple's site wouldn't support it. A lot was going wrong but that happens every year.

I managed to order from AT&T as well and my 6 is on the FedEx truck right now to come today. Not everyone had that experience though and not everyone was able to stay up late to order.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

if I had wanted the 6plus, it would've been difficult as the Verizon site was having trouble with orders from those with a corporate discount. Luckily, I was able to order a phone which will be delivered today. AT&T site had issues and the Apple site also had issues. I understand why people are lining up based on the various issues. Plus I say let people have a little fun.

15. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

So some folks wanted to sleep on preorder day but then got up very early on release day? My guess is you lose the same amount of sleep either way.

I was not eligible for an upgrade until two days after Sept 12 but as long as your eligibility was before Sept 19 you could preorder.

I understand about those with later upgrade dates or waiting on pay day.

Good luck if you are in line!

16. lithonius macrumors member

Ok...so there were SOME people left out, but the fact is you have to agree that thousands....tens of thousands....orders went through just fine. It's not like the majority didn't get it...the early bird catches the worm. This is the 6th base version of the iPhone. This happens every time on release. Some people just get left out, and for the most part you hear from people with a negative experience on a forum, versus a positive one. Sort of like the slant to your reply, people feed on the negative because it's sensational. I think Apple and AT&T did a fine job on pre-order day.

17. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I would love to know how people get both orders to go through on one line. If I try that, Apple's website immediately gives me an error that the line is not eligible.

18. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I agree. I was just trying to maybe give a different perspective as to why someone might not have pre-ordered. That's all :)

19. Jrnation109 macrumors 6502

To all the idiots on this thread saying people who wait in line are stupid, and that there was no issues with preordering... feel free to read through the 220+ paged thread that says otherwise.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1776879&page=219

20. batcatman macrumors member

Working nights in a Level 1 Trauma center, cant really leave Pts's to order an iPhone, ordered next day though....3-4 weeks delivery :D

21. ivada macrumors member

This was EXACTLY my experience! Waiting for UPS to ring the bell is probably the most stressful part.

22. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

Maybe there are people like me where Verizon just made eligible on Monday for upgrade dates before 11/15. I didn't have a chance to preorder, so maybe not be so condescending?

23. Vorpal279 macrumors member

Got to Verizon at 7:10 and only 10 people in line. Only a 50 minute wait. So I'll have my phone before you. Lol

24. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Pretty much. The store didn't even come back online for some people before Apple had already exhausted their pre-order allocation for the 6 plus. I was very lucky I managed to get into the online store and place my order about 1 minute before the dreaded 5-7 working days message started appearing, soon replaced by the 3-4 weeks wait. Many others were not so lucky.

25. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Huh? Verizon made you eligible for an upgrade now with an 11/15 date? Mine's 11/18.

I intended more for satirical irony :cool:.