a physical click to select something?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by altecXP, Jul 16, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

In 10.6 I can double tap a finger to select text, or move a window. Now I have to use a tap and a physical click on the trackpad, or enable 3 finger

WTF? doesn't this seem like a backwards move to anyone else? WHy change it? they didn't make those motions do something else. it feels like they only changed it because they can. It makes things really annoying when I have to work on both a 10.6 machine and 10.7

2. gr8tfly, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I seem to remember reading that the "tap & hold to drag" option was moved to the Universal Access pref pane.

Edit: Just a side note: I tried the tap & hold, but found it added a delay to the normal tap-select. It made the system feel noticeably less responsive.

When I bought a Magic Trackpad, I gained the option for 3-finger select & drag. I needed that feature because I use the trackpad on a soft surface and the physical click wouldn't work. Once I got used to 3-finger dragging, I found it worked well and was a natural extension of single and two finger tapping.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My guess? Because that's more iOS-like.

4. f00f macrumors 65816

Tap to select & move functionality I still available, they just moved the preferences. Those preferences live, IIRC, in the Accessibility preferences pane in System Preferences.

5. f00f macrumors 65816

This.

It doesn't make much sense to me why these prefs were moved, but at least they are still available.

6. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816