A Precaution before I purchase Leapord.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doomded, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Doomded macrumors newbie

Okay. I am about to go to the Apple store to purchase Leapord, in order to use Windows Vista (So i could use SteamPowered to play such games as HalfLife 2). Now I have heard of some consumers saying Leapord has crashed their systems or programs much more frequently. I have an Intel iMac with 500 Gigabytes and 2 Gigs of Ram (I think). Is there any alternative to buying Leapord just for the use of Bootcamp to play games, and will Leapord run smoothly on my system?

PS. I apologize for any typos. I am in a rush.
    And, please respond ASAP if you have an answer.

2. David G. macrumors 6502a

Exactly, FEW consumers complain. The happy ones go about and think nothing of it. You'll be fine with it on your new system.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why would running Leopard cause Windows issues? :confused:

4. David G. macrumors 6502a

One more thing, back up before you do install, if possible.

I think he was talking about on the mac side of things.:confused:

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is no alternative, you just need to go buy leopard, apple makes their bootcamp expired around the time leopard is out, it shows how monopoly works. lol

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

There are plenty of alternatives for running Windows. In fact, I think almost every other computer company in the world offers computers that run Windows. Wanting to run Windows on a Mac is not monopoly, it's choice.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

please, OP obviously already has a Mac, not a pc, where is his choice? playing game or not playing game? We are discussing REAL problem here, not should, could, would. :)

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I love all of leopards features, but it is a helluva lot more unstable than tiger. If it had tiger's stability and all of the new features it'd be perfect. BTW: when I say it is more unstable I mean it's still more stable compared to winblows, just not as stable as tiger

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Is there really any need to misspell Windows because we're on a Mac site? I'd much rather use XP than Leopard, in the same way I'd rather use Tiger than Vista.

10. Doomded thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I just purchased Leopard, and now I am confronted with three choices (As the man in the Apple store told me). Should I upgrade my computer to Leopard from Tiger, run a clean install (After backing everything important on my Mac up using my external HD), or the third option of putting two separate OS's on my Mac (Tiger and Leopard; I am not too sure of this option, may someone inform me more on this?)

So, which should I go through with?

11. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

How old is your install? I upgraded Leopard on 4 machines, all less than a year old, and didn't run into a single flaw with any of them.

I think "Upgrade" is the best and easiest choice for most people. I know some people like the feel of a "fresh" OS install, but I'm not one of them. I like it set up how I choose, with things feeling "like home."

12. Doomded thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, by install if you mean OS, I have a 10.4.10 Tiger.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its just needs more time

1. backup
    2. upgrade
    3. clean install if upgrade were to fail

There was a poll here at MR. I think majority people suggest clean installation to reduce imcompatibility and weird problem after upgrade.

14. billmister macrumors 6502

? Wow. I'd much rather run Tiger OR leopard instead of XP or Vista.

15. Doomded thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that solid, clear answer. I can now go through with this being sure in my mind it will work.

And to the people saying they'd much rather use Tiger that Leopard, I need the Boot Camp feature of Leopard.

16. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Exact opposite of my experience here, I was very concerned about Tiger's flakiness and very relieved when Leopard eliminated all the printing/networking flaws.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

You might want to look up the definition of a monopoly. Just because a company is the only one that offers a certain product doesn't mean they are an illegal monopoly.

Is Apple a monopoly because they are the only ones who sell iPods?

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

He never said they were an illegal monopoly. The fact remains, though, that you can't run Windows on a Mac without drivers, and as Apple is the only producer and distributor of those drivers, they do indeed have a monopoly on your ability to run Windows on Mac machines.

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm

Point taken.

20. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Wait, I'm confused (maybe bc I'm still on PPC macs) but can't you run bootcamp from Tiger?

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

kinda

The beta period expired. I think you can continue to use existing installations, but no new ones.

22. Doomded thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, now I have one last issue. Could someone please tell me how to format my hard drive to Fat32 (I think you are supposed to go Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities, but I do not know what to do from there).

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, correct
    I think that can be done during the windows installation process?

24. ashawley macrumors newbie

I believe (it's been a few months since I did it) you don't need to format it prior to running the Boot Camp setup process. The windows installation process will allow you to format the partition.

Yeah, I just checked..the formatting is done in the Windows Setup. Check page 11 of the Boot Camp Assistant setup guide. You really should read that through entirely before doing the Boot Camp setup.

25. gelatin macrumors 6502

im also thinking of upgrading my ibook g4, i have never done it before.
    what i want to know is whether i can install the new OS without having it wipe all my files?