A Proud New Owner (With Some Questions!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ecstasy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

What's up, guys?

I just got my 13" MBP today, and it's as smooth as a baby's behind.

I had a problem with downloading new programs, because I had no clue what a .dmg file was, or how to install programs into the Applications folder. I have that all figured out now.

I have some questions, and various Searches haven't really helped me much.

1.) I've been using my MBP ever since I opened it. I believe it was around 87% when I first turned it on. Now it's down to 55% or so.

When should I calibrate the battery? Should I first use it until it hits sleep mode and then turn it off and start charging it (and using it at the same time)?

2.) Is there any way to right click on a file and Delete it, much as you can do in Windows? Or do you just drag the file to the Trash?

3.) What programs do you recommend? I've just downloaded Adium and Firefox.

---

More questions to come. For now, these are just the initial concerns. Thanks a lot for your incoming replies.

Loving it so far; now I can see all the Mac love spreading here.

;)

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

1) plug it in, let it charge all the way up, leave it sit like that for a few hours, then unplug it to calibrate it.

2) yes, 2-finger tap (or control-click) on a file and select Delete.

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

You should calibrate the battery as soon as you open it, to ensure you are getting the best performance out of it.

Right clicking on a file/folder brings up a menu, and in there is an option adequately named "Move to Trash" (works much the same as Delete in Windows)

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

1. You are generally supposed to charge it up all the way when you first get it, then you can drain it if you wan't and charge it back up. Not sure how necessary that is when you first get it though.

2. To right click, use two fingers to tap the trackpad and select Move to Trash. More tap options are in System Preferences -> Trackpad

3. For applications, look at http://osx.iusethis.com/

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

This is probably the best answer on the battery question: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

You can right-click to "move to trash" (set the trackpad options for two-finger right-click. It works VERY well.)

Recommended programs? There are so many, it just depends on what you're doing. I have over 100 items on my dock (don't EVEN ask about my Desktop ;) ).

6. Branskins macrumors 65816

I did it right out of the box. I first charged it to full, let it sit plugged in for two hours and then drained it all the way until it slept. Then I charged it over night. You should probably calibrate it soon, but it isn't the end of the world! Just enjoy it :)

Press the Apple key and spacebar (to launch spotlight) and type in trackpad. You can enable right click in the bottom right to do this.

Or I have also learned that if you press two fingers on the trackpad at once (or hold one finger and press with another) you can get a right click. Dragging something to the trash also does the same thing.

You basically have two really great programs. If you do torrents, download transmission. For IRC I use Colloquy. There are many threads on MR that talk about important programs to get.

7. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys!

As you may have already guessed, I'm still getting used to it.

The battery is in the mid-40% range right now? I don't know what to do now exactly. I've read the link that gr8tfly posted.

Should I charge it now? Or should I drain it until it goes to sleep, and then charge it up again?

PS: Love how I'm getting a lot of replies in less than 20 minutes or so. Keep this up on the top! More questions to come!

:D

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It won't hurt anything to do it either way. To actually do a calibration needs it to start at a full charge and sit at that level for a couple of hours, so running it down to "sleep" now won't matter as far as a calibration cycle is concerned. You don't need to be in a hurry to calibrate it - it doesn't need to be the first usage of the battery. Just do it when it's convenient.

9. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

So I should charge it all the way anytime?

And then use it until it gets to sleep mode? And then charge it all day?

I'm thinking of this:

1.) Use it for the rest of tonight. Charge it all the way overnight (leaving it plugged in for 7+ hours).

2.) Use it tomorrow morning until it goes down to sleep mode. Then charge it until it hits 100%.

Is this alright?

I'm not sure if charging it overnight for 7+ hours is overdoing it.

10. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

You are doing the best thing, and the most fun -- playing with and exploring your new MBP. Go ahead, at this point, and let the battery drain. I'd recommend Coconut Battery meter -- it'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your awesome battery. Follow the calibration instructions, though...

I'm just curious about something, and it's just a question. What drove you to purchase the MBP versus something like the white MB? The MBP has a far prettier screen, it's faster, and so on... but what was the thing that said to you, "yeah, this is the one, cuz it'll do ________ for me"...? We all have different expectations and needs out of our tools, so I'm just curious.

Either way, congrats, you got a nice machine running (in my humble opinion) the best OS available to the consumer today. By far.

Edit: Charging it for 7 hours won't hurt it. It's smart enough to stop charging when it's full. You won't hurt it.

11. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

That's a good question. I asked myself that many times before finally deciding on the MBP.

I've long experimented and played around with my cousin's White MB. I didn't really like it, to be honest, with you. Even though my college suggests the White MB, I went to the store and tried it out again. It just didn't feel like something I preferred.

I've always wanted the 13" aluminum MB, and was about to buy one earlier this year, before the June update. I told myself to wait, and didn't want to spend too much money before even getting my acceptance letters, ya know? By the time I was done with high school, I received news of the June update. Went to the store, tried it out. Needless to say, it was perfect for me. SD card slot? Screen? And the fact that my soon-to-be college endorsed mainly Apple laptops?

It was a done deal. I just happened to buy it today, because after working this whole summer, I raised enough money to buy one. It goes without saying that I'm loving it as each minute passes. It's that sense of pride I have in a new machine, and unlike some Mac fanboys, I'll never go against Windows. In fact, I'm glad that OSX allows you to run Windows as well. If I ever have a need for a Windows-only program, I can just run it on Boot Camp. It's like having the whole package. I couldn't really ask for anything more. I'm glad I got it, and this whole essay doesn't say enough.

12. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

This.

ladies and gentlemen, this here is a young man who has done his homework and made a reasoned decision. I want to emphasize one quote from the essay above:

The value of earning one's own way, working hard to achieve a goal. Cannot be overstated. How many threads contain whine after whine of someone complaining that their new toy their daddy bought them isn't doing what they wanted, fix it for meeeeee....

Well done.

13. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Thanks for this.

Now, if only I could type my essays with half of the eloquence and reasoning as the one I posted right above.

:eek:

14. Jisuo macrumors 6502

You can also press CMD+ delete to delete a file.

15. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Thanks for that!

Also, while I was messing around with my MBP, I saw stuff on Software Update:

[​IMG]

Is it recommended to install all?

------

Question #2:

I'm thinking of upgrading to 4GB RAM and a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue drive. I have all these programs already installed and a lot of music transferred from my external hard drive.

Is it possible to change the hard drive and yet keep all the settings on the original, default hard drive (the 160GB drive that comes with the 13")?

Thanks!

16. After G macrumors 68000

After G

1) Yes, for the most part updates don't hurt. And if they do, people will complain here first :p

2) Yes, you can use Disk Utility for that but you'd need a way to connect both drives at the same time though (usually an external enclosure).

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

As mentioned, get an external case and use Disk Utility off of your OS-X Install DVD. Use the Restore function after partitioning the new drive with a GUID partition table and HFS+ Journaled format. After the restore (from your internal to the new drive), you can test boot on the new drive by holding down the opt key on startup and selecting it. Once you're happy with the new drive, follow the instructions in your owners manual to swap in the new drive (and the new RAM, if you like).

18. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The shortcut to putting things in the trash is command+delete. This saves me a lot of time throughout the day because I don't have to right click and select "move to trash"

19. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Thanks a lot for the replies, MR'ers! Much appreciated.

So yesterday, I drained the battery to 0% and it went into Sleep Mode.

I plugged it into a wall and charged it overnight (from 1AM to 10AM, roughly).

I just opened it now, and the battery says 99%. Obviously, I didn't even come near to calibrating it.

Would it be alright to start calibrating it now?

If I'm correct, the steps should be:

1.) Drain the battery for today
    2.) Enter Sleep Mode
    3.) Leave it in Sleep Mode for +5 hours (or should I just press the Power button on the top right corner of the keyboard ==> to turn it off)?
    4.) Connect power adapter and charge it until it's full

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

20. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

I found a really useful thing to do for calibrating you battery is to disable sleep when your battery gets low. there's a terminal command somewhere on this forum, or maybe someone else will know it off the top of their head... basically, the computer will operate until there is ABSOLUTELY no batter power left, and it will shut off. Then just plug in until fully charged. sleep works normally if you close the lid using this.

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

2 - you want to let the Mac enter sleep automatically due to low battery. Sleep (in Energy Prefs) should be set to "never". It's essentially "off" at this point, so you don't need to do anything with the power button.

22. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

23. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I realized that right after I posted that.

About 3 hours ago, my MBP went into Sleep Mode automatically (as in, the screen just turned black).

The link posted above says to let it sleep for 5 hours or more.

So now, it's been 3 hours. I'm planning to charge it 3 hours from now.

Is that alright?

Thanks a lot!

These are awesome articles. :D

24. ecstasy thread starter macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Alright, I just charged it all the way full.

But it only says 99%. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

25. devburke Guest

OK, as for the battery calibration, here's the deal:

When your battery gets really low, your MB forces itself to sleep. When a MB goes to sleep, it's somewhere in between Standby and Hibernate on a Windows machine. It takes a small amount of power to keep data in RAM, so what OS X does when it first goes to sleep is copies the entire contents of your memory to the hard drive, just in case the battery dies before it wakes up again. That way, next time you connect the power, you can still pick up where you left off (although you'll have to give it a minute to reload the RAM).

So, without modifying things, you can't just run it until the battery dies (unless its calibration is far off enough that it doesn't realize how low it is), because when the battery gets low enough, it forces itself to sleep in order to ensure it has enough power to write the memory to the HD, meaning even after it forces itself to sleep, it still has battery power. At this point it won't let you wake it back up without connecting power. That's why you don't just run it until it goes to sleep and then charge it again, you have to wait an additional few hours for the battery to completely drain.

Although there's probably a Terminal hack to prevent "safe sleep", so you can just run it till there's no more juice. You'll lose whatever you're doing though.