A question about Apple gift card - Money disappeared

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ravi-G, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Ravi-G macrumors newbie

I purchased an Apple gift worth $4985.00 last week. I bought it from someone who said that he won that in a raffle. Before I purchased the card, we went to apple store and we checked the balance on the card. Apple employee verified the balance. I asked Apple employee to transfer that amount to a whole new different gift card. I checked the balance two days after on on the new gift card that I purchased with the old one on June 9th and the balance of $4985 was available. I checked my balance on Saturday, June 11th and automated message told me that my Gift card is no longer active. After speaking with Apple customer service reps I was told that Someone from Corporate office transferred money out that gift card. It's been two days and I have been on the phone with store manager and they are still trying to figure out what happened. I have original receipt of the old gift card, I have old gift card, new gift card and also the receipt for new gift card. There hasn't been any transactions on the new gift card.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is a large amount of money. Did this ever happen to anyone here. Please advise. Thanks

2. StvenH90 macrumors regular

Did you check the old card? I can see it, somehow all the money got transferred back to the old card and the seller updated his office.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's an old scam common among gift cards. Bet you got it at an unbelievable price. In short you're out whatever you paid for it.

4. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

But I bought a new gift card with whole different card number. I also have the receipt that shows balance on the new card. It was closed by apple corporate employee. You think they might have closed it accidentally? I also have the old gift card and money didn't go back to that card either. When I purchased the card the person went to store
    With me there was balance on the card and apple employee rung it up. I checked the balance 2 days after I bought the card and money was there

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's often done with a stolen credit card, takes awhile for the transaction to be reversed.
    How did you transfer the balance from one iTunes card to another? Didn't think this was possible.
    Curious how much did you pay and where did you meet this person?

6. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have that persons phone number and I have been talking to him about the issue. He also agreed to help me out if I needed his help. I bought it on craigslist. He also gave me a receipt of the old gift card and receipt shows there was a balance. We verified the balance with the apple employee before I bought a new one. Could it be closed due to some suspicious activities?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Since you're in contact with the seller if everything's kosher then he'll probably return your money.

How much did you pay him? Post the link to the Craigslist ad.

8. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

In this case money was transfered out of the gift card by apple corporate employee. I have got an email from him that he is researching on the matter. The seller didn't have anything to do with this. There are no transactions on the card. Store manager didn't say anything about being a stolen card or anything. I bought a new gift card with an old apple gift card. No credit cards were involved in this transaction. Most impotently money was there 2 days after I bought the card.

9. blueroom, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Post the link to the Craigslist ad.

How much did you pay him?

Just a refresher on how the scam works, the XYZ Gift card was paid for with a stolen credit card. All is well for lets say 48hrs then the card is reported stolen. It doesn't matter if the balance was transferred as once the CC company contacts XYZ (they're not going to pay them) the gift card even if moved onto another card (there is an trail, it's not cash) will be nullified.

Red flags are often the seller telling you you've got only so many hours to spend it and/or an price to good to be true.

Is it a cell phone the Craigslist poster used? Prepaid...

10. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

Ad is no longer active. I paid $4200

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

This sticky quote is from a popular Canadian forum called Red Flag Deals. I certainly hope you can get your money back from the seller and it's simply an honest mistake.

12. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I would ask the person you bought it from how they got it.

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The original message indicated a Raffle. I wish I could have seen the original Craigslist ad.

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

These people that buy gift cards with stolen credit cards, why don't they just buy the gift card then buy merchandise? Then they sell the merchandise for much better margins and that computer can't just be canceled.

15. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Well there's the rub, some places require photo ID for large purchases plus for most crooks the goal is cash and cash leaves no trail (merchandise might). If they "bought" it they'd still have to sell it but I'm sure it does happen. A gift card is worth cash.

Some crooks will tell you to spend the gift card right away. Red flag!

16. blueroom, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man that sucks OP. Hate to say it, but I think you were scammed. Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'm curious too, I wonder if the OP got this resolved?

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

20. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

I am waiting for apple to finish their research and they will get back to me on Tuesday. I emailed apple and I told them they shouldn't have sold me the new gift card if the first card had any problems. second, apples gift card policy is that you cannot purchase a new gift card with an old gift card. If their employee had followed that policy situation could have been avoided. Any suggestions that might help my case? Seller used the giftcard in apple store on June 1st to purchase $15 iTunes card and sold me the apple gift card on June 7th. My gift card was cancelled on June 9th. Apple should have taken steps to cancel the card. They had enough time.

21. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Apple isn't going to reimburse you for the amount you paid for the gift card. Your best bet is to contact the police and inform them you've been scammed. Tell them the seller said he won it in a raffle, that he gave you a cell phone number (that could have been prepaid) and that he posted the ad on craigslist. Your best bet isn't Apple right now, it's the police.

22. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. Please advice how to file this case properly. Should I contact local police or the city where I dealt with this person. Apple store also has him on their surveillance tape. Seller went to the apple store with me.

23. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'd go with the city you dealt with the person. I'm assuming that's also where the Apple Store is. Makes it easier for the police to investigate.

24. Ravi-G thread starter macrumors newbie

Any hope that I might get money back? I have sellers phone no, his picture on tape, email address (I m sure that's fake), text messages from him, handing him money in front of the cameras.