A 'real' upgrade iPhone next summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 8, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I have waited for 2 years for my Verizon contract to expire and I now have less than a month to go.

Many people seem to think a 'real' iPhone upgrade will come next summer. How likely is so?

I was thinking about getting the $199 3GS, but if above is true, I will just get the $99 3G and upgrade next year.

2. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

It's just going to be another 'evolutionary' upgrade.

4. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I can't believe i paid $300 for a fake phone.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It's extremely likely. Apple has said that this will be their typical updating cycle.

My personal guess is that something more interesting may come out around Christmas time... or maybe MacWorld...

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

also remember there might be a verizon iphone by next summer... so if ur waiting that long anyway....:rolleyes:

7. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

based on this update, i think apple will have something major planned for the next iphone. I wont be surprised if its announced at macworld or for the holiday season. this seems more of a speed upgrade than anything.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Pretty likely.

Apple acquires PA Semi early 2008. A year simply isn't enough time to develop custom SoC.

Apple invest what $6 million dollars in Imagination makes of the graphics technology in the iPhone. Imagination announces 54x series of dual core GPU late 2008

Apple is thought to be the mysterious architectural licensee of ARM.

ARM is just beginning the evolution of ARM architecture via the Cortex A8 and Cortex MP A9 processing cores.

Bluetooth 3.0 is due to be ratified and released in 2009.

So with that in mind would could see a 2010 iPhone with dual core ARM processors, much faster GPU and HD video support complete with Bluetooth 3.0 and 802.11n wireless and of course OLED screen.

Since I'm waiting for a contract to end I'll make due with my cheapo phone and an iPod Touch and then wait for the next big update.

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

my thoughts exactly

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3G and GPS were no more of "real upgrades" than video recording and editing, better camera with auto-focus, improved battery life, digital compass, faster speed, Nike+, etc.

And iPhone 3G/3GS case/build quality is a downgrade from the original iPhone IMO.

11. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

i'd like to see something thinner. or maybe even an iPhone nano.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If you keep waiting for the next upgrade, you'll be carrying around that razor forever.

I understand if some 3G owner's don't feel the 3GS was "enough." Hopefully they get a nice little boost in specs next year.

13. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Sometimes you just have to deal with what IS. Live in the now...

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Unless you want to pay an upgrade price next year, stay on your Verizon plan sans contract. If you like next year's iPhone, tell Verizon au revoir and come to the Apple store for your phone.
    You don't want to be one of those annoying whiners, who obviously mistook AT&T for a charity organization instead of a corporation (i.e., greedy and money grubbing).

15. CrownSeven macrumors member

I'm currently on Verizon - love their service.

Had AT&T - did not like there service.

I just bought a 3GS - for development reasons. I'm keeping my Verizon line as well.

Next year when Verizon gets whatever version of the iPhone mister Jobs decides upon - that IMHO will be a REAL upgrade - in phone hardware AND a network that can handle it.

In the mean time - be on the look out for my apps :)

16. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

IMO, you are no better, in fact, you are worse than annoying whiners. If you can't take someone's honest question in good faith, just be quiet.

17. Rox1256 macrumors newbie

To my knowledge this was Apple's last year of participating at Macworld, so I would doubt that..

18. sommls macrumors member

To each their own. The GPS function convinced me it was worth ditching Verizon, since I now carry one device instead of 2.

And yes, it's not as good as a dedicated GPS unit but it surely beats triangulation from cell phone towers.

19. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Haha!

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seeing as we haven't seen the iTunes update, and we haven't seen an update to the Touch, (which changed it's update cycle) I guess they have some leeway. Presumably with the S for Speed, they could bump the whole line one if they wanted - make the 3GS the low end when they want to.

21. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

what I don't get is...

why the heck people got so excited when last year Apple added 3G and GPS... and changed from Strong Aluminum Back, to a cheap-looking crackable plastic back?! and they didn't even go above the 8GB/16GB that they started with! (put aside the 4G)! didn't change the cam! didn't change performance! :eek:

while this year, they doubled the CPU, RAM and graphics; they built-in a Compass, Nike+, Voice Control; AND they added auto-focus, white balance, and macro to a newly revamped 3.2 Camera (w/ video) !!! AND they upped the storage to a staggering 32GB!! AND they put an extra coating on the screen to evade smudges and fingerprints! and all in all it's a 'greener' iPhone!! :eek:

"they didn't put a front-facing camera", "they didn't change the backing", "they should've done this and that"...

I'm f****** Sick of people nagging all the time! they nag before an upgrade! they get an upgrade! they nag more after the upgrade!

What did you want for a 'Real' upgrade?!
    more megapixels?! its a frickin' mobile phone not a professional camera!!

if you think that you can do better than apple then open up a company by yourself and produce a mobile phone that has 24 Megapixel camera, and a 12 Megapixel front-facing camera, maybe also that could be used as a dildo... and of course it should weigh less than an ounce, and is less than 1mm thick... and yeah, try to keep it under $99!

All In All, I trust Apple :apple:
    and I trust in their decisions (not all of them, but most of them)
    and I am happily going to stand in line to buy my beautiful new Black iPhone 3GS with a Huge 32GB of Storage!

P.S. I'll send you a postcard from there!;)

22. ripkord macrumors 6502

Not that interested in a post card from "rip off land" !! :)

23. 226896 Guest

MacWorld 09 was the last one dude...

24. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

The doubling of the processor, ram and graphics is FALSE. You expected doubling of each, Apple didn't quite deliver that far.

Honestly, a compass and Nike+ are useless for the majority of people. It comes down to a new camera, and faster phone. Also, if a 3G user wanted a video camera they could just jailbreak.

You're clearly in denial that the upgrade wasn't what you wanted and you're still stuck in dream land. Sorry to hear that.

Next year will be better. Don't worry.:D

"one more thing"...next upgrade should have the dedicated graphics chip as well as the arm processors. THOSE will truly make the iPhone faster and allow it to view HD content (especially with its new OLED screen).

25. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Since when did you become the spokesperson for iphone buyers?