a realistic review for professionals

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HardBall, Apr 12, 2015.

1. HardBall macrumors regular

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The bottom line is if you really step back and look at the product you will see it's not as much of a "hassle" as some will assume.

1. Keyboard. Yes, the design is slightly new but it's nothing your brain will not get used to within a few days.

2. Track Pad. Yes, how it technically operates is different but the feel and result is the same to the user. Therefore after a short period this becomes second nature.

3. Single Port. This may be an issue to some. However, go backwards in time and count how many times you've been charging your laptop and using a USB drive at the same time (that needs to stay connected)? For me it's been less than 10 times in the last five years.

Overall, the features people are hassling over are features that are rarely used. While I do not always agree with Apple's designs (remember the iPod Shuffle with no buttons, what a horrible design and Apple changes it back with buttons), for the most part Apple gets it right.

The underlying issue is people expect a laptop custom built for them, with specific size/screen/features/etc. When Apple does not launch this phantom device a segment of the users go crazy.

3. AdonisSMU, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I agree. Most people have issues with this machine that aren't justified. They are just working themselves up into a frenzy for no reason.

The keyboard IMO was an upgrade from the keyboard on my rMBP.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

most people think they need more power in a computer than they really do. I highly doubt I could tax this machine with my day to day task (office, web, email, remote desktop).

5. newellj macrumors 601

I have been thinking about this a lot during the past week or two. I'm pretty sure that 95% of what I do on my rMBP would work just as well on an rMB, and the remaining 5% doesn't get done on the rMBP, it gets done on a desktop (either my quad Mini or a home-brewed Z87 Windows workstation). I really don't have any intention of selling the 13" rMBP, but I am coming to the conclusion that this is illogical. :confused:

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's a really great informative review/interview. I can't disagree with anything he said. I'll be using the rMB for work/travel and most of the issues aren't even issues for me.

One thing I hadn't considered was how small that power brick actually is. That's another plus.

7. GiantCow macrumors member

As someone who has a desktop machine, like the reviewer, the processing deficiencies are pretty much a non issue. If this were my only computer though, I most likely wouldn't get the MacBook.

8. Souli macrumors member

I also think that ppl were like really freaked out about just that one port. Since this is USB-C and not Thunderbolt it means we will see a lot of accesories for it which don't cost you a fortune. This is not a port that is only introduced by Apple alone and so there will be reasonable priced docks soon. Everyone was going nuts about the 80$ dongle from Apple. You put the dock in your office or where ever you need it normally and just plug it in. You won't need a gazillion ports while you are surfing at Starbucks :D
    Then again I can't really feel with those guys since I'm not plugging anything except the power cord into my laptop anyway so not an issue for me^^

9. JCT macrumors 6502

In the end, we should appreciate that Apple gives us choices such that we can make our own decisions regarding what we *need* and buy accordingly.

In my case as a female business traveler, the lighter the better when it comes to laptops because I can't go to professional meetings lugging a backpack. I have to carry something that is professional looking and prefer that it not look too much like something a guy would use. This is harder than you would think.

I loved the original 13" Air, even with the limited connectivity and then was *thrilled* when the 11" Air was released. It was the perfect size and could fit in a medium purse! But as my eyesight became a limiting factor, the size and conformation of the screen and the lack of retina became an issue. - So when Apple slimmed down the 13" rMBP I switched over. I love my rMBP and have taken it all over the world - but it is like a lead weight in my bag.

The rMB will take it's place easily, screen is large enough, the retina helps make up for the size and I don't care about having a dongle because I already have to carry one for presentations on the rMBP. Would a second port be nice? Sure - but I will put up with that because the rest of the package is so compelling to me. (Focus on "to me"). ;)

My 1.3/256 Space Grey is on order.... looking forward to it. Now to find a bag...

10. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

+1000. It's like laptop bag manufacturers are actually competing for the ugliest, and conveniently forget women also have laptops and also carry them.

Keep me in the loop if you find one !

11. newellj macrumors 601

Another minor, or maybe not so minor point or two: (1) the cord unplugs from the power adapter, so hopefully fewer problems with insulation cracking and wires breaking at the strain relief* and (2) it will pack even more compactly because you won't have the cord sticking out of the adapter at a right angle.

* This assumes (A) that Apple does a better job with this cable than with their Lightning cables and (B) that users do a better job handling cords correctly (grasp the connector rather than just yanking on the middle of the cord when disconnecting).

12. thedeske macrumors 6502a

A few people I know are considering this a possible tour laptop for photography in a non pro setting (i.e. photo tours)
    Most of the group are 70 plus and are looking to "Get Light" in all areas.

2 of them have Airs, but the screen is an issue when they cull raw images.
    If Lightroom 6 runs well enough, this might be the ticket for their needs.

13. dyt1983, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I charge and use an external display at work everyday. I would have to have an adapter :)

I would just plug the power and display into the adapter and leave it at work though.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

16. HardBall thread starter macrumors regular

He's an IT professional, uses things such as sublime which are development environments.

17. Soordhin, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Soordhin macrumors member

Pretty similar here, except that i switched to 11" MBAs from Sony Vaio Zs and never switched to the rMBP because it was simply too heavy. Since i travel usually more than 200 days a year every little bit of weight counts, and of course it has to fit into a small business bag, bulky bags are for assistants.

Two 1.3/512, one in space grey and one in gold, are on order. Sadly i was too late ordering them so both are at 4 to 6 weeks. Damn those long flights without internet (yes, they still exist)...

Will have to see if lightroom works, otherwise i just upload images to my home computer and do the initial batch processing remotely. All my fullframe camera bodies have inbuilt wireless land, so connection is a non-issue.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

You should add IT.

Just "professional" is nonsense, since it only means someone who uses the macbook for his profession.

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Verbatim;
    Engaged in a profession, esp. one requiring advanced knowledge or training.

Engaged in a specified occupation or activity for money or as a means of earning a living, rather than as a pastime.

It`s clear enough, I am fairly confident no one needs to point out the context.

Q-6

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

So this is then a realistic review for indidivduals who engage in a specified occupation or activity for money or as a means of earning a living.

I didn't know that this is something special and all the other reviews are usually aimed at unemployed people ...

21. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

This is my thought process too.

Retina iMac / MacBook / iPhone

The perfect setup with no device overkill or redundancy.

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s not equally it`s in the dictionary, best not be so serious no one is putting anyone down here...

Q-6

23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

No, not just professionals. I see this review as being helpful for anyone who is considering purchasing the rMB and will be using it for more than web browsing, Facebook, iTunes, etc. I use my Mac to get work done, but I wouldn't call myself a professional. The author does a very good job of pointing out why/how the new MacBook can be used as a serious machine and not just a toy.

----------

You think so? Once I get the rMB, I'll have: MacBook, iPad Mini, and iPhone. That's pretty much the perfect portable setup. But I agree with your perfect setup as well.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

All macbooks can be used as a "serious machine", anything can. What you define as serious depends on your very specific context. Anyone who would buy a macbook just to perform web browsing, Facebook (isn't that the same as "webbrowsing"?) and iTunes should probably not buy a macbook at all. However for their context this could be considered professional or serious use. Depends on their profession.

The OP has already explained that the review is aimed at IT workers who use a specific app. I am not one of those. Not my profession. I find this review not helpful.

----------

What? :confused:

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

In what way is it not helpful at all? It's very informative if nothing else.