A really demanding GF, what can I do??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by megamouse, Dec 23, 2008.

1. megamouse macrumors member

Hi guys, just back from the last assignment of the year and back to the civilised world (i.e. where room temperature is above 22C), so that I can spend the xmas with my GF.

Now, since she has always been really supportive, I am thinking to get her a MBP, and I ask her whether it is a good idea (we are grown-ups, so we can discuss that kind of thing before Santa arrives)

Now, the problem is, she wants a TOP SPEC MBP :eek:

Two Problems:

1. Now I realise She is more of a Geek than I am :eek::eek:

2. I want to get it for her for Xmas, and tomorrow is Christmas Eve :eek::eek::eek:

is it possible to get the TOP SPEC MBP in the three Apple Stores in London?? (Regent Street, Westfield, Brent Cross)??

Any practical advise to lighten up my GF's holiday will be truly appreciated

Cheers guys

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 2.8? Nope, not to my knowledge. You might be able to find one, but don't bet on it.

3. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

Hi, how are you, still in Ireland?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hey?! Good. No, I left on November 18th. Great semester and the best experience of my life. I don't know about UK Apple Stores, I guess, but in the U.S., at least, they don't carry any BTO options. You should be able to get the 2.53 very easily if they don't have the 2.8, though.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL.

I don't think you'll be able to do that. A customized Macbook Pro will take a few weeks to get to you, whilist a Top shelf version (the one with the 2.53GHz Proc and 4 Gigs of ram standard) should be available in store.

6. MBX macrumors 65816

what for would a girl need a top-spec config?

/sexist remark

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I don't know the extra 0.3GHZ bump is worth the money or aggravation is trying to find it. Of course since its not her money or sanity she will still want it :D

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

i called around to the Apple stores around me in the US, and they all pretty much said the same things.

They stock the vanilla versions that are the "default" customization options on the website. Example: The 2.53 w/ 4gigs of RAM, 512mb videocard, 320gb hDD, etc.

To get any of the upgrade/downgrade options (2.8ghz CPU, diff HDD, etc) you had to order it from the Apple Store as it has to be done and sent to you.

Unless she's doing some CPU intensive work, or gaming that needs the faster CPU for some reason (which, then maybe a Laptop solution isnt' the best anyways) I would think the 2.53 would do her well. I got it w/ mine, and love it.

D.

9. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

say you forgot to put that in the customization process...i mean seriously...im getting my gf a aluminum macbook and THATS too much for her for what she does. but i dont want her to have a dell with a aple sticker on it anymore lol

im 100% sure if you were to get her a macbook pro that she'd be estatic and be forced to have a geek love making sess with you...or atleast i would if i were her

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I say get her the highest spec one that they have in the store for christmas.

ChrisN

11. Dipdip macrumors member

Can't unsee it...

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

OMG, you are getting your GF a MBP for xmas?? WOW. That better come with at least a 5 year dating contract attached to it so she doesn't leave you after taking possession. :D

13. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

lol guys, thanks for the replies, and the added spices :D

now it looks unlikely she will get what she wants, well I suppose that can be compensated with something else :rolleyes:

14. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

15. MBX macrumors 65816

tell her:

baby why do you need the extra 0.x megahertz when i can give you all the megahertz you'll ever want. and it's in my heart. beating for you.

16. cg165 macrumors regular

That's a good thing! She's your girlfriend, and it's not always good to always get her everything she wants. Same with kids. Does she think she needs a 2.8ghz or just wants one? Will she use the extra power? Are you loaded and don't care about the money? I guess if the answers are: needs it / yes / yes then order it and give it to her after christmas which will be even more of a surprise. Otherwise if she doesn't actually need it, get her the base model or the 2.53 at the store if possible.

I know my wife wouldn't use even close to the power of a MBP even the base model. She just goes online, checks e-mail...stuff like that. Just my 2 cents :D

Oh, and when she was my girlfriend I got her a cheap ass Toshiba haha. For her next computer it'll be a macbook most likely. I don't want to troubleshoot all the time lol.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

She's pretty much getting a free MBP! If I were her I'd be happy regardless of the specs. Besides, even the baseline MBP is plenty fast for most people. What kind of work does she do?

18. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I've got the perfect solution, actually. She wants a top-spec MBP?

Break up with her.

19. esaleris macrumors 6502

Perhaps the word you're looking for is discerning, rather than demanding. :D

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or get her a mb and have her return it if it isnt good enough and have hereself upgrade to the top spec mbp

thats an awful lot to spend on someone for Xmas though

21. Osprey macrumors 6502

Boy, why does everyone automatically assume because she is a female that she can't possibly need the extra power? What only guys need power? Seriously though, I think she will be happy with the new MBP that you are able to find on such short notice. Best of luck and Merry Christmas to you and your girlfriend!

22. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I've got an idea for you... get her the base MBP. If she freaks out on you, tell her to reconsider her values and be grateful she even got such an expensive piece of machinery for as a gift. The other thing you could do, being somewhat deceiving, is to go into the system and modify little bits and pieces of files to make the computer think it's the 2.5 GHz model, but that's more complicated than giving her the low end, middle end, or telling her to be happy she even got a MacBook Pro.

23. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

What does she need it for?

If it's justifiable and she be using it to make money, then go for it!

If she's just browsing the net and iTunes, get her a MacBook.

24. cg165 macrumors regular

If it makes you feel any better, I would say the same to a female asking about buying her boyfriend a top spec MBP. I don't think anyone dating should spend that kind of money on one another. That's just my opinion though, but I think it's a logical one.

25. cg165 macrumors regular

Hahaha!

I gotta agree. If the OP does get her the base MBP and she somehow got mad, that would make me mad if I was the one buying it. He could always get her the base model and have her take it back to pay the difference. It is an expensive gift though.
    Changing the system, that's hilarious...but you're also right about that. That's setting the bar a little high asking for a top end MBP for Christmas which is a few days away. Didn't she know she wanted it a while ago? Why only now is she asking for it (or is it being posted)? I think we need more information on what she intends on using it for, but it would surprise me if she needed the 2.8 over the 2.53 or the 2.4ghz. My guess is if she needed it, she would already have it or would have ordered it the day it came out.

Completely agree. Like I said above, we need more info about what she's going to use it for/how long she plans on using it.