A reason to request a refund? Incorrectly aligned lid on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TranceJD, Dec 2, 2012.

1. TranceJD macrumors member

TranceJD

Hi all, I recently bought a MacBook Pro (mid 2012 13 inch)

I set it up, upgraded the ram, got all my stuff on there and bam, I notice a small problem. The lid appears to be incorrectly aligned with the base. Let me explain....

When you close the lid of the MacBook, the lid does not sit flush with the edges of the base. It's about 1/2mm off to the left. This then creates an over-hang on the left, and a small gap on the right. It's very small but you don't need incredible vision to see this. It's basically just like if you close your MacBook and to lid (screen-part) is directly pushed 1/2mm to the left of the base.

Now, I can live with this. And my MacBook is in the short time space of being eligible for a full refund, but is it truly worth it? Is it worth going through all that hassle of packing it up, waiting on the refund, purchasing another one, setting that up again....

Apple have told me that I am not eligible for a replacement as this problem does not affect the functioning of the MacBook (i.e The screen turns off when the lid is shut etc etc...) but they said if I wasn't happy that a full returns can be set up.

I have since cancelled the returns but I am reconsidering. I still have some time.

Let me know your thoughts and give me suggestions.

Should I return it, or am I just too particular!?

Thank you.

- J.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. De5 macrumors member

I have the same thing. I just got a hardshell case and I don't notice it anymore. I tried repairing it myself, I did nothing. I first went to an authorized reseller and they told me I can send it in. I phoned apple and they said I couldn't.. Whatever. No more macbooks for me L0L

4. TranceJD thread starter macrumors member

TranceJD

They will not repair as Apple said this problem does not affect the function of the screen.

Thanks.

----------

Did it really bug you in the beginning though?
    At the moment I feel kinda pissed after spending €1099 on a MacBook that is mis-aligned.
    As Tim Cook says "Quality and excellence is in Apple's Culture" but certainly not in the production line. Apple need to take great precautions to prevent these silly problems.

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

My 17" has this problem. I sent it in for replacement of the upper case because the keyboard had uneven backlighting. The display also made a popping sound due to being misaligned and they repaired that. Now it hangs over the left edge just a hair too much.

If it bothers you enough to write a thread over it, return it and get another one while you can. Swap the RAM and hard drive, which takes 5 minutes, and you'll be back to your same exact setup except with an aligned screen.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Strange. I guess if it bugs you, your only option is to return it.

7. TranceJD thread starter macrumors member

TranceJD

Thanks everybody. It truly is bothering me. I originally cancelled my returns request but I think I'll contact them again tomorrow and open a new returns case. Hopefully they won't find it suspicious that I am requesting a returns right after I cancelled!!!

Thanks everyone. Take care.

8. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

so you took the lid off to replace the ram and all but you cant even re-align the screen. amazing!:rolleyes:
    there are only six screws that secure the anchor of the screen hinges to the base, just use a t8 driver to slight loosen the screws and reposition the screen, then tighten it back up again. piece of cake!

if you need details on the correct driver and position of the screws, check out ifixit.com. i got my driver from sears for a few bucks.

apparently someone on the assembly line decided not to use a jig when attaching the screen to the base.

all of the macbook pros floor models i saw is slightly mis-aligned. i just close the lid and rub on the side with my finger and i feel it. even the macbook airs, too. but two of the 13 and 15 inch retina i had are perfectly aligned. though i wouldn't mind repositioning them myself if needed.

9. TranceJD thread starter macrumors member

TranceJD

I have correct screw drivers but I just don't want to attempt it. I believe the screws you are talking about are under the main board and in order to access them I would have to remove that. Something which I would not attempt

10. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i didn't have to remove the mainboard, and the screws are very accessible. the process only took me thirty minutes, and most of that time was spent on the aligning the screen to the base because i'm soo picky.

you can exchange it for another mis-aligned screen again, or just go with a plastic fantastic windows laptop, as they're all assembled in china by chinese people who likes to half-assed on the assembly line.

11. TranceJD thread starter macrumors member

TranceJD

Do you have any video or images of these particular 6 screws? I would do done research but I'm not exactly sure as to what I'm actually looking for. Thank you.

----------

Do you have any video or images of these particular 6 screws? I would do done research but I'm not exactly sure as to what I'm actually looking for. Thank you.

12. CirrusPilot macrumors member

Does upgrading the ram void the warranty?

I would absolutely send it back. Later on down the road if you have a valid warranty claim under applecare, they could claim that it was physical damage, or if you go to resell it someday, I am sure that will take some value off.

I just dealt with a macbook pro that out of the box had a malfunctioning K key and trackpad, and I took it in to the apple store. They were very apologetic and immediately did a full exchange.

13. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

according to ifixit the screws on your model is not under the mainboard. i have the early 2011 and it is the same as your model. the screen can even be detatch without the mainboard remove.

you need to start to do some research of your own. i'm out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I would exchange it in a heartbeat. If you happen to use a hard case, it would probably conflict each other.

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I would exchange it.

I'm not paying all that money just to be bothered by something like that.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Normally, I would say another OCD thread.

However, after two months of looking at my purchase and admiring its perfection built like a swiss watch... thinking this thing some day should end up in the Smithsonian... well u know where am going.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If it bothers you, you should return it. What they're really telling you is that this falls within their tolerance levels, so it could always happen again. From personal experience, that problem doesn't seem too common. I suggest returning it as it obviously bothers you.

If it's within spec, they have no way to claim abuse on Applecare. This could be a very slight misalignment. The OP was already told it's within spec. I still think they should take it back rather than be bothered by it. In your case something was out of spec, and it impacted functionality.

Blah I keep forgetting to write things. Upgrading ram does not void the warranty on the 2012 cMBP. The rMBP doesn't even have sockets to allow it.

18. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

All for Apple's "quality control" Same on my maximum upgraded rMBP. Over 4000 Euro's of Laptop....

Attached Files:

19. wabbit42 macrumors regular

I have the exact same problem on my 13" 2012. The lid when closed is off a tiny bit to the left, but it doesn't bother me enough to return it.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always highly subjective. Only you can answer your question. Which is the bigger priority to you? Eliminating the defect that's bugging you or not dealing with the hassle of a return? Polling random people isn't the way to answer that question as different people have differing levels of tolerance for this sort of stuff. It does no good to follow the advice of people with differing preferences.

21. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You are contradicting yourself.

If it's within the return window then that is that. No questions asked and if somebody is telling you otherwise they are simply wrong.

Show us some pics.

22. hface119 macrumors member

Same issue on my 15" rMBP. It doesn't bother me that much and I don't suppose it'll cause any problems. I have AppleCare so if anything happens down the road.. I'm good. Not worrying about it. However, I 100% support the "I paid $2000 for this laptop, it better be perfect" mentality.

I tried to bring my rMBP to Apple to complain about the creaking sound of the bottom case, and the Genius took me to three floor models to show me they all do it.. and none of them did. His solution was to loosen a screw and it worked for a moment, but it's back to doing it now. He seemed to be acting like I was being nitpicky. For $2k, I'm allowed to be nitpicky.

23. MT0227 macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with the mine initially. I went to my local Apple Store and said they have two choices: (1) Have someone in the back adjust it to my satisfaction or (2) return and replace. There wasn't anyone available to adjust the screws, so they replaced it for me with no questions asked. The bottom line is it should not look or seem miss-aligned, that's not how the floor models look and it's certainly not the expectation you or anyone else would have at purchase. Forget all about the BS about not effecting performance.

24. thundersteele macrumors 68030

What exactly am I supposed to see here? Looks good to me...

@OP
    Just return and get a new one. As others have said, since it bothers you enough to write a post about it, and you still have the option for a full return/refund, just go for it.

25. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You can't see that uneven gap in the display? :eek: