A "regular" guys first year with Mac....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dloreski, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I don't come here on a daily basis now, but used to when I was thinking of buying a Mac.
    This may be of use to someone else considering making the switch.
    I'm not a power user, but need my equipment to work properly on a daily basis. I know my way around a computer enough to get things done, but I'm definitely no expert.
    I tried Mac because I was sick of the constant Windows updates, Antivirus crap, and how the machine gets slow over time because I don't want to take the time to do all the maintenance on it.
    I was coming from Vista and when I made my purchase I was told to try Windows 7 because it was MUCH better than Vista. This was my thinking.... Back when I bought Vista, it was supposed to be great, and for me, it wasn't... They took my money once on Vista, and since it wasn't what it was cracked up to be, they want more of it in case they got it right with 7.
    So I decided to give Mac a try.
    I bought a 13" MBP and the machine has worked perfect. It's as fast today as it was on day one. I love everything about the machine, but this is my favorite - Boot up and shut down times are EXTREMELY fast compared to Windows. And software updates are minimal and efficient compared to Windows. I used to dread turning on the Windows machine when I needed to do something quickly because many times it was a LONG process.
    I'm not an Apple fan boy, just someone that needs equipment that works quickly and without problems on a daily basis.
    I also bought an ipad which is perfect for online access while I'm traveling in a truck or plane.
    However, for my phone and email use, Blackberry is by far the best tool for me. The iphone is pretty cool, but for me, BB is much more efficient.
    If you're thinking of making the switch, give it a try, you're likely to come away as happy as I'am.
    - Dave

2. deadkennedy macrumors 6502

From a developer point of view, I can simply not agree more + add something that is sort of a positive oxymoron. As much as I like my MBP's reliability and ease of use which far surpasses Windows on any box, what I really like is that this thing is a true Unix, with POSIX, and such geek wonderland under the hood that i can't comprehend how was I able to ever work on Windows. Just all the power that you get with Terminal, all the languages and interpreters installed, Brew, Apache, just amazing.

3. T34418leONE macrumors member

I made the switch myself in 2006 with an intel mac mini and never looked back. Came from an HP then a Gateway and the Mini changed it up for me! In fact it's still going strong and is used 4-5 times a week.

I'm with you on the satisfaction after the switch, in fact I know own a MBP, iPhone as well.

4. Pooki macrumors member

I currently still have a Dell laptop with Vista from 2008..
    I can say I'm done with Vista.. I think I just want to try OS X now! :)

Still saving up because Macs are more expensive, but I just don't want another Windows machine. Still convincing myself it's okay to buy a new expensive laptop :rolleyes:

Thank you for the encouraging post

5. Blu101, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I switched 4 months ago and wow! Should've done it a loooooong time ago, the difference in the experience is unbelievable - I actually enjoy using a computer again!! In fact, I look foward to it anytime I need to.

I converted my parents from a Dell Windows Vista desktop to an iMac and they couldn't be happier - mom loves it :)

My sister is next - she's already made the decision, just need to figure out when to pull the trigger within the next month or two.

So, this is 3 PCs that have happily converted to Mac and not lookin back :D

0116111336.JPG

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Same, it's also my first year :p. The MBP i5 was my first Mac and I'm actually liking it. I didn't like the price, but in the end it was worth it. It had to be a 15" or 17" because I don't like the Glarebook Pro.

Now I'm thinking of replacing my Desktop PC for an iMac i7 or perhaps a Mac Pro Sandy Bridge. I don't really use Windows that much anymore. ( I'm hoping iMac will get some sort of Anti-Glare also, because it also has alot of glare ).

Linux is cool, but I hardly use it anymore.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I don't understand the necessity to compare a brand new Mac to an old Windows computer. Many of the observations I see here would be made regardless of which computer someone bought. My Vista machine sucked balls, but it was still a leap forward compared to my old P2...

Just sayin...

8. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I have been caught in the "halo effect" they were talking about in the Apple earning reports.

My 4gb iPod sat in the desk for about a year before I finally discovered iTunes and podcasts. Very quickly I went from the 4gb iPod to a used 40ish gb iPod classic to my brothers used 2g iPhone (this is when I became an Apple fan) to the iPhone4 on opening day to the time capsule wifi station. Just got the iPad last month

Hopefully next month the MBP will refresh and I will have my first Mac!!

I have been so excited about the Mac that I have been using it as a carrot forcing myself to pay off all outstanding debt before letting my self buy one. I will reach that goal Monday. Hopefully just in time for the new model. The Mac has already gotten my finances in order :rolleyes:

9. waynep macrumors 6502

I switched 2 weeks ago after using Win at home ever since Windows has existed. Glad I did . . I am a Unix geek by trade and the other day I needed a script for something so I whipped out a bash script. No problem. Love OS X.

10. Blu101, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

My parents Vista PC wasn't even 3 years old, so not that "old" by any stretch. And Windows 7, although better, is still Windows and feels just like any other Windows, nooooooo innovation or difference whatsoever. If you've used a Windows OS before, you're not missing much. I think this is what we all compare to - it's not Vista explicitly, it's just Windows in general - Vista just gets picked on because it sucked balls, but Windows 7 isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be either, it's just more stable. In comparison, OS X is a breath of fresh air! And in more ways than one.

And in a way, you're doing the same thing comparing Vista to your old P2...Vista, compared to what it replaced - XP - was a step backwards for MS, not a "leap foward".

I've been a PC user since Windows 3.1 - no more!

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You may have missed my point, the p2 thing was just an example. Also, 3 year old is ancient for a piece of computer hardware.

Regardless, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think your vastly understating windows 7 and vastly overrating OSXs "innovation". Osx has been around forever now, and it's changes throughout the lifecycle have been very iterative.

12. wct097 macrumors 6502

You seem to forget that 3 years ago computers had C2D processors... Apple is still selling 'new' computers with C2D processors. My 3.5 year old Dell Vostro has a 2.2ghz T7500 C2D which isn't much slower than a MBP 2.4ghz C2D.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Oh I haven't forgotten. It brought me great pain to pay $1200 for a C2D laptop when the processor was practically EoL.

14. wct097 macrumors 6502

Heh. Not sure I could do that. However, what Apple lacks in technology, they make up for in aesthetics and integration between hardware and OS. I'm just not sure the fanboys really understand that.

I'm personally holding out for the next refresh. I haven't owned an Apple since 1999, so I'm looking forward to a new one... even if I have to run Windows on it.

15. xhale1 macrumors newbie

I agree, nothing really compares to Mac OS, and that nice trackpad. It's by far the easiest computer to do basic computer functions; word, excel, internet browse. I bought a macbook pro in 2008 and had a bunch of issues with it, so I sold it. Since then I've gone through a couple PCs and nothing has compared. So now I get to wait for the new Macbook Pros to come out! :D

16. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The Last PC I owned was an IBM Model 70 PS/2 - windows 3... I easily transitioned to a Mac 8100/80AV.... I never looked back.

17. wct097 macrumors 6502

See, I did the opposite. The last Macs I owned were an LCIII and a Powerbook 1400cs. I went PC as I hit the 'real world' so to speak, and only recently am considering coming back now that I can run Windows on a Mac effectively.

18. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The fanboys eat, sleep and breathe Apple. In their minds, there is no part of any other operating system that compares to OSX. OSX can not be improved in any way. Mac hardware is better than any other piece of hardware ever created. If you say they're wrong, they will either insult you, or spam their post full of links from years ago when Walt Mossberg said that a Mac ran Vista better than another brand name PC.

Instead of giving credit where credit is due, they give it where it's not due, and give other Mac users like myself a bad name.

I tend to just filter out the majority of those posts, it really saves your sanity.

19. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I understand. I know that 6 months after you buy a computer it becomes last year's model lol, as mine is about to become soon. But we don't replace our machines every 6 months, we make'em last 3-5 years min on avg., so for us the Dell was still in its mid-life ;)

True, many, like me, are new to OSX, so there's gonna be a "wow" period towards the differences in the OS. But here's a recent example of what works and what doesn't: a friend of mine got a new Asus laptop a few months back with Win7 on it. We tried to go online to some website and watch a movie - simply could not get it to work, kept getting hung up on the stream (buffering at 1% every ~2mins). We re-started his laptop several times but to no avail. We lost some 20-30mins trying to get it to work before we gave up. I grabbed my mac, plugged it in, went to the same website, clicked play on screen and the movie started to play - I did all this in under 2mins. Win7 may be more stable and this and that for office/business use, but at home for personal use and media, it's still the same'ol Windows.

20. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Many people could come up with similar stories stories for a mac, linux, or windows machine. Isolated incidents like this are everywhere, regardless of the platform. Still, I wouldn't argue that for everyday web browsing, my Mac (using Chrome) has been a more pleasant experience than I had with Windows 7. To me, OSX offers a less productive experience, but still, I enjoy not having to worry about the newest unauthorized code exploit targeted at Windows machines. To me, this is enough reason to use OSX for my everyday computing, despite the pitfalls.

But I digress, we're discussing 2 sides of the same coin. We agree that OSX offers a great experience, we just have different experience with other operating systems.

21. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

lol Ive done something not many people do, Ive bounced back and forth, based on budget and requiring to get more stuff done. PM6100/66 -> PM8100/100 -> PC -> G4 -> PC -> G5 -> PC -> MacBook -> Not going Back as Final Cut is too important to me (and Ive kept some form of Mac somewhere in my reach during the PC ownership times) - And now I can get all my coding done on the Mac as well, I have no need for Windows for anything more than a NotePad (Tablet PC with OneNote 2010 just because you cant write with a pen on the iPad into something you can search).

22. ciTiger macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

Oh yeah.
    I can so much identify with you.

Three years ago(more or less) I swore i would never buy anything Apple... Well actually it was just the Mac's part. But i kind wide it to all Apple products.

However just 6 months later my MP3 player which i had paid 100 euros for (2 months before) was feeling outdate... So i decided to buy an iPod Touch 2nd Gen 32GB(I bought a used one in an auctions site it was an EXCELENT deal, half the price actually).
    Sure it still was expensive and worked a little diferent from what i was used to (was used to MP3 Players which were USB pen drives) but I was simply sold!

6 Months later I bought a used Macbook White (again a great deal)
    I had used a lot of laptops like HP,ASUS,TOSHIBA, and i had a major disappointment with a Dell XPSM1330 (graphics toasted the logic board...).
    The Macbook was excelent and I never regreted it!
    I only regret having gone through all the laptops before it, i could have saved a lot of money if I just had bought a Macbook!

So yes Apple products ARE EXPENSIVE, and they might be a less powerful than the top products at the market but lets be honest every gadget is outdated the moment you buy it!

Bottom line? I'd rather pay more for something that works nicely and saves you A LOT of time in stuff you shouldn't have too.
    People who think the Apple premium price is just for the products design are so wrong... It's so much more... The design is just what comes up for someone who never used a Mac or other Apple product.

BTW I currently have a MBP 13 and an iPhone 4 and was able to sell the MBW and iTouch to a friend for a fair price and my friend simply loves them, another one who probably won't go back to windows...

23. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Agreed :)

At home windows has been a nightmare for me over the past decade, but I've also been somewhat unlucky - having had Millenium and Vista, which were arguably not as good as 98/2000 and XP (I typically make my machines last long enough to jump one OS version). At work is different - all the PCs are on a LAN through Citrix (Windows Server 2003), and that's always been more stable, but what I use is also different - mainly Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint), not much on the media side at all and the web browsing is limited, as you'd expect on the job, and these are the things that never worked well for me at home, because of many freezes, malware or some active x control/pop-up/etc. (probably should've given up on IE a long time ago, oh well), and the amount of time for maintenance was also tiring. So far, OS X has been what I've always dreamed of for my at home multimedia use - something that just works, where windows hasn't. Of course, even though I'm still in the "wow" period, I realize it's only been ~4 months, so *hopefully* (fingers crossed) OS X can continue to function this way for me. I have a few friends who've had macs for a few years, and aside from the occasional hardware failure, they still work like day 1 (they swear by it). Considering all the downtime I've lost due to software related problems I've had with windows over the years, I'm willing to trade that for the occasional risk of a hardware failure, see how it goes.

24. maverick1984 macrumors newbie

yes c2d is pretty behind the curve, however most ppl dont understand that os x gets so much further than windows with that power bc its a more efficient OS. my mbp 13" with a 2.4 ghz c2d would blow away any windows laptop with equal specs with even windows 7 on it. take it from someone who was a windows user for 20+ years.

25. wct097 macrumors 6502

Cue fanboy response....

Heh. That's like claiming that a Prius is always more efficient than a 3/4 to truck.... ignoring, of course, the fact that a Prius won't be efficient at towing or hauling. Not that I'm comparing a Mac to a Prius, but lets be honest. Each OS has it's benefits. Comparing a nebulous term like 'efficient' without quantifying or even putting it in context is stupid.

Case in point. You can install Win 7 on that MBP and get better gaming performance.