Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
fps* sry.

No, its a hardware problem, not software related. The improvements of the hardware allow the camera to be better.

Apple are perfectionists. I see why they didn't allow video recording on the 3G iPhone...b/c its much slower.

Well, in that case, I understand now.

If, because the hardware won't allow voice command or (acceptable) video recording, then I'm fine with that. In order to get those things, you need a new phone, and then so be it.

I'll be happy with my neat and nifty 3.0 software and look forward to the 4th gen iPhone next year.

Thank you for putting to bed my question.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
But here's my question about the camera, it's 15 fps now, but couldn't that just be a 2.0 issue? Could the 3.0 upgrade could allow up to 24/30 fps maybe? Or is it just the actual specs of the camera that won't allow more than 15?

And you know, I'd still take 15 fps on my 3G. Better than nothing. I'm not planning on shooting a movie on the thing.

It's a combination of camera specs + processor speed that limits the framerate on the 3G. Apple is not into mediocre performance which is why the 3G didn't (and won't) get video.

The 3G also doesn't have the resources to support the (always running) voice control either. Hence, it didn't get it.

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
It's a combination of camera specs + processor speed that limits the framerate on the 3G. Apple is not into mediocre performance which is why the 3G didn't (and won't) get video.

The 3G also doesn't have the resources to support the (always running) voice control either. Hence, it didn't get it.

S'shame, but if it's not possible, then it's not possible. And I get it, Apple doesn't want 3G users shooting video and uploading it all over the place and it looking like crap.

It's like how you put your cousin, who doesn't dress well, at a table far in the back at a wedding reception. You love him, but you don't want everyone to see him necessarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.