A small thought on the 12th September release. (W/ iPhone release)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nicklaz0r, Sep 4, 2012.

1. nicklaz0r macrumors member

This is just a very small thought, but I remember that it usually said on the invites "Let's talk iPhone" or something along the lines with iPhone. Now it says "It's almost here" and basically nothing about the iPhone is said, maybe they are implying more products? Whatever I dont know, just a small thought I had.

2. Bargle macrumors regular

"it" and the "5" are good give aways about what the sept. 12 is going to be about.

3. dannywaugh1 macrumors member

we will just need to wait i see :apple:;)

4. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

If you think 'it' is anything other than an iPhone, you are high and drunk.

5. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

I think even if the new iMacs were ready to be announced they wouldn't do it on iPhone day. iPhone is a lot bigger market than iMac. They need to keep the spotlight on the iPhone for now.

6. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Agreed, but the iPhone could be a very good way to publicize the iMac 2012 among the millions of pc users who are craving for the new phone ...

7. Bargle macrumors regular

They aren't going to have an "event" for upgrading sandy bridge to ivy bridge and the 6770M to the nvidia 650M...

90% of apple customers have no idea what that above sentence means. Nor do they care that it will get them 10 more fps in a video game, or a 10% faster cpu.

8. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I would expect some valid iMac spec leaks before it is announced. It will probably be released at the October event.

9. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

September 12th - iPhone and iOS 6. Nothing else.
    October event - smaller iPad, new iPod nano and iPod touch, and possibly a much needed update to iTunes.

I think the iMacs and 13-inch rMBP will magically appear in the store just as the Mac Pro and Airport Express did after WWDC. They will not get a mention in a keynote.

10. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I agree that the iMac probably will just magically update. Maybe the 12th if we are lucky' but even if I don't want to say it, probably we won't see it that day or even the week after. But it's not guaranteed of course.

9to5 Mac has rumors (and they usually don't post this kind of rumors anymore unless it's pretty guaranteed) that iPods will come out at the same event. Guess apple don't have time for a music event this year....and want to preserve october for the "new" product.

11. nicklaz0r thread starter macrumors member

Where did I say I wasn't?

12. sainsburys, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

sainsburys macrumors regular

Hey Guys! Don't forget about one important thing...

If you read Steve Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson you read that when apple introduced first iPod the company strategy was: you can run iPod only with Apple Computer and so when you buy iPod...you buy Apple Computer.
    Then they allow to manage iPod via Windows PC.

I think that this strategy is even stronger, because of similarity of iOS to OS X. So people are starting with iPhone, iPad and they they want Macbook or iMac. Because of that fact it is reasonable to show new iMac at 12th Sept event. They just can do quiet update.

And hey! Don't forget that they showed "new" Mac Pro (stationary computer) with MacBook Pro and Air premiere (mobile).
    So just before WWDC lot of us thought: Nah, they will not show stationary comp with mobile one and guess what?! They did it!

13. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Here is hoping, mate!

Cant wait to splash a grand to buy an Imac :D

14. Scrapula macrumors 6502

Since the Haswell processor will be released in April and it is not compatible with Ivy Bridge motherboards, then maybe they will wait until April for the iMac. There are heat issues with Ivy Bridge and that may be a reason why to keep it out of the iMac.

15. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

There are no heat issues with Ivy Bridge that can't be solved with an iMac chassis. Really.

Also, the smart money is on no Haswell until around July 2013. Apple would have done something minor by now if they were going to do a big release on Haswell.

Why do people disbelieve the reports on screen manufacturing issues with Sept/Oct release dates?

16. karpich1 macrumors regular

My understanding, the Heat issues with Ivy were ONLY if you were overclocking. That if you were running everything @ stock speeds Ivy ran cooler than its predecessor.

But... perhaps I'm just thinking of CPU... you mention motherboards specifically.

17. sainsburys macrumors regular

Another fact to remember: after WWDC 2012 spokesmans of Apple said that new Mac Pro and iMac will be in 2013. After that, Tim Cook said that it only apply for Mac Pro.

So iMac in 2012 is certainty, unless Tim Cook is a liar.

18. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Right or no iMac in 2012 and 2013 :D
    So Im 99,9% sure there will be a 2012 iMac because of this.

19. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

That really wasn't the strategy. It was really "you can run an iPad because you had already bought an Mac". The strategy was to initially concentrate on selling iPods into the Mac market. Extremely few, if any, folks were going to buy an Mac as a "necessary peripheral" just to run an iPod.
    Once the iPod infrastructure was stable the real strategy kicked in. Apple dumped Firewire as a connector and move to USB and iTunes on Windows. That's when the iPod became very successful. The vast majority of iTunes/iPod users are Windows users.

Very similar to the the first iPhone having no applications and Apple moving to iOS with 3rd party apps after they got the basic infrastructure in place.

The iCloud integration between iOS and OS X applications is a bit better (Notes, iWork , etc. ) but Apple also has a iCloud control panel widget for Windows.

Apple will get some switchers, but the strategy is not dependent upon it. Switchers are just extra gravy. There is also a number of people switching back ( delayed Mac Pro updates , etc. ).

Similarly, iCloud works with all Macs on the current OS X version. Apple doesn't need a "new" Mac to have millions that the new iPhone is highly integrated with.

The huge flaw here is that iPhones are largely independent of a computer these days. They don't need to be synced to computers to get updates or backups. Music and Apps can be bought on the device itself. The iPhone (and other iOS devices) are far more an equal "Personal Compute" peer to Mac (and PCs) now they they were before. One does not necessarily sell the other.

Much more likely is that Apple will want to release some new Mac in this Quarter so that year-over-year Mac units numbers will go up. Whether it is the iMac or not is open question. Not that Apple is trying to just juice the Quarter because they are myopically "Quarter by Quarter" focused, but more so because they have a rather long 'streak' going with Mac growth that has gone on for a substantial number of quarters now. I doubt they want the streak to end just yet (even though they would start a new streak next quarter with a slip). At the moment Apple is doing better than the overall PC market when it comes to growth. If they hiccup there would be questions if they were just mere mortals.

It is kind of hard to believe that between the iMac, Mac mini , and rMBP 13" that none of them are ready to go this month.

Apple could do just a "normal Tuesday" update on the 11th. There is no reason to bind it to the iPhone "dog and pony" show.

The Mac Pro was likely bundled with the new laptops because it was going to be embarrassing to update the rest of the Mac line up twice before the Mac Pro had moved at all. Because those were the "going to lap the Mac Pro twice" Macs, Apple had to release some bump to the Mac Pro so that it was effectively only a lap down. There was a very large group of Mac Pro users there were going to bolt if Apple did absolutely nothing publicly. Also having bumped the Mac Pro with a minor speed bump they could hint that they were still working (or had started to work again ) on a much better Mac Pro. The catch-22 for Apple is that they can't talk about something unless they release something.

Similarly, they lauched about all of their mobile line because they needed to save Mac growth numbers that had started to dwindle. That surge they created in June should be about spent at this point. They need another one.

20. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

There is some logic behind an iMac announcement along with the iPhone. The iPhone is the money maker, the show stopper, the cash cow. It was also my 'gateway drug' into the Apple ecosystem. I avoided iTunes and iPod's like the plague, because I didn't want to get sucked into a one way DRM trap with my media. I liked my Windows XP boxes.

Then my wife got an iPhone. I liked it. Then my wife got an iPod. Liked that too. Then I got an iPod, an iPhone, and a year later, an iMac! I was hooked on the look and feel of Apple products, and when I saw, really saw, an iMac in action, I felt ready for the switch.

People who are excited about the iPhone will be watching. They might see the iMac and start thinking about how nice it would be if their computer was as attractive and reliable as their phone, and HOOK. Pull another fish into the boat!

21. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I agree with you on this one.

So many people that I know who took the plunge with the iPhone coming from Blackberry or Android, are now considering replacing their Windows box or laptop with an iMac or MacBook Pro.

For me, my first Mac was about 6 months after the original iPod was released. So I sort of had a reverse perspective.

I knew that an iPod would be way better than my crumby "Jamster" mp3 player at the time, since I knew how awesome OSX was (even back with OS X 10.1, I still thought it was a great alternative to Windows XP).

22. sainsburys macrumors regular

deconstruct60 you are right in everything you wrote!

23. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

How do we know it's not going to be about '5 Things'...

24. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

With all these thoughts and my personal hope that we are going to see a new Imac next week, what is Apple doing with the old modells?

Here in the UK all modells are widely available....

25. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

ugh, its depressing really, seems apple is still clinging to outdated hardware for a while longer.